“Smoking kills” these two words should be very familiar. The effects of first-hand smoke from cigarettes are pathetically publicize, barley educating the public about the dangers and life-threatening problems and illness associated with smoking. Although the understanding that smoking cigarettes can kill you has been established in the minds of Americans, the effects of second-hand and third-hand smoke has not. Two thirds of the smoke from a cigarette is not draw in by the smoker, but enters the air and environment around the smoker, this smoke is exactly the same as the third of smoke that was inhaled into the lungs of the smoker. (“Second–hand Smoke”) Second and third hand smoke may cause cancers of the larynx (voice box), pharynx (throat), bladder, nasal sinuses, rectum, breast, brain, stomach in adults and brain tumours, lymphoma and leukemia in children. (“Second-hand Smoke”) Second-hand smoke is the smoke inhaled involuntary by others produced by burning tobacco. Unfortunately second-hand smoke has twice the chemicals originate in the direct inhalation of tobacco found in cigarettes. (“Secondhand Smoke”) Non-smokers who inhale the pollute...
... middle of paper ...
...ePlus Medical Encyclopedia." U.S National Library of Medicine. U.S. National Library of Medicine, 12 Aug. 2012. Web. 10 Apr. 2014.
"Nicotine." Psychology Today: Health, Help, Happiness + Find a Therapist. N.p., 13 May 2010. Web. 9 Apr. 2014.
"Organs and Functionscolor="4B0082"" Ellerbruch.nmu.edu. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2014.
"RJ Reynolds." Laws & Taxes. N.p., n.d. Web. 8 Apr. 2014.
"Second–hand Smoke : Canadian Lung Association." Second–hand Smoke : Canadian Lung Association. N.p., 24 Sept. 2012. Web. 10 Apr. 2014.
"Secondhand Smoke." Secondhand Smoke. N.p., Nov.-Dec. 2013. Web. 14 Apr. 2014.
"Third-hand Smoke : Canadian Lung Association." Third-hand Smoke : Canadian Lung Association. N.p., 24 Sept. 2012. Web. 10 Apr. 2014.
"What's in a Cigarette." What's in a Cigarette. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Apr. 2014.
"What's in Cigarette Smoke?" Oxygen. N.p., n.d. Web. 8 Apr. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Cigarettes are Killing America This year alone cigarettes will kill over 420,000 Americans, and many more will suffer from cancers, and circulatory and respiratory system diseases1. These horrible illnesses were known to originate from cigarettes for years. Nicotine, the main chemical additive in cigarettes, was declared addictive by the Food and Drug Administration. This explains why smokers continue to use cigarettes even though smokers are aware of the constantly warned about health dangers in cigarettes.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Arguement]
1489 words (4.3 pages)
- E-Cigarettes: The Safer Alternative to Cigarettes Almost every commercial you see after your favorite TV shows concerns a pandemic in America that affects adults and mostly teens: the addiction of cigarettes. The majority of American families have at least two or more family members that smoke cigarettes. But what are some of the methods that smokers use to stop their addiction. The common use is the nicotine patch or “cold turkey”, which usually doesn’t work. The use of e-cigarettes benefits, are better for smokers than regular cigarettes health wise, sales, and in the future.... [tags: Tobacco, Nicotine, Smoking, Cigarette]
815 words (2.3 pages)
- E-Cigarettes: The Safer Alternative to Cigarettes Almost every commercial you see after your favorite TV shows concerns an epidemic in America that affects adults and mostly teens: the addiction of cigarettes. The majority of American families have at least two or more family members that smoke cigarettes. But what are some of the methods that smokers use to stop their addiction. The common use is the nicotine patch or “cold turkey”, which usually doesn’t work. The use of e-cigarettes benefits better for smokers than regular cigarettes health wise, sales, and in the future.... [tags: Nicotine, Tobacco, Smoking, Cigarette]
707 words (2 pages)
- This advertisement has a really strong image depicting cigarettes kill just as bullets of a revolver. The ad presents as a photograph with a computer generated image of a black gun with the chambers out, with attention-grabbing cigarettes in the chamber where bullets would be located. The picture has a white background, which makes the image stand out and allows the viewers to focus on the gun. The picture lacks color, which signifies death and give a feeling of uneasiness. The lack of any bright color in the ad also takes out any happy emotion.... [tags: Nicotine, Smoking, Cigarette, Tobacco]
1060 words (3 pages)
- Smoking cigarettes can be very harmful to your life with so many health issues, such as heart disease, cancer and emphysema. Some people think it’s not a huge issue smoking cigarettes but it’s a great way to lose ten years of your life. You lose lots of money, a lifetime of health issues, and cause you to have yellowing of the teeth and bad breath .There is way too many health risks involved to start using this drug. Say no to cigarettes you will be healthier in the end then to continue on this wrongful path.... [tags: persuasive essay, argumentative essay]
1520 words (4.3 pages)
- Although there are multiple people in this world that smoke, an estimated one and one tenth billion people, the purchase of cigarettes should be made illegal. The highly addictive ingredients in cigarettes are killers even though it may not seem like it considering it can take many years for them to actually kill a person. In 2012, if someone were to smoke a pack a day, then every year they would spend around five thousand dollars on cigarettes and that does not include all the money they may or might soon need to pay for any health issues that may affect them, or family members, from smoking.... [tags: highly addictive ingredients, cancer]
633 words (1.8 pages)
- Many actions have been taken on vaping and cigarettes, such as only allowing people over or at the age of eighteen to buy the product and putting warning labels on products. The serious issue is there needs to be action applied to the fact that these products can kill a human being. There is a wide variety of policies trying to be passed for vaping and cigarettes. A vaping regulation is trying to pass making all vape companies to carry products similar to products back when vaping firs started. This could cause the vaping market crash, making people lose money, and most important jobs.... [tags: Tobacco, Nicotine, Tobacco smoking, Cigarette]
877 words (2.5 pages)
- Instead of using the conventional cigarettes, many smokers today are using e-cigarettes in order to quit theirs long-term smoking. In fact, no one knows this device is effectively or not. However, the e-cigarettes are very dangerous, and the nicotine of e-liquids inside the e-cigarettes is a poison which can kill both of children and adults, has been warning by some toxicologist of the Poison Control Centers. “A dangerous new form of a powerful stimulant is hitting markets nationwide, for sale by the vial, the gallon and even the barrel.” (Richtel 1) As we can see, the e-cigarettes are available most everywhere, and the e-liquids bottles have been sold dramatically in recent years.... [tags: smoking, smokers, addiction, devices]
698 words (2 pages)
- The first that the reader 's eyes are drawn to is this large cartoon camel. The camel is wearing sun-glasses, a pink shirt, and a blazer. Besides the suave looking clothes, he has a cigarette in his mouth. Right to the right of this cool camel, is a pack of camel. One of the cigarettes is extended out for the picking. In the background, the Hollywood sign sets on sunset on a cloudless day. There is also a red sports car with an attractive woman on top of it. The women on car is a blonde bomb-shell wearing a tight pink dress and sunglasses.... [tags: Cigarette, Smoking, The Reader, Tobacco smoking]
1518 words (4.3 pages)
- Smoking, AKA Deaths' Candy Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in the United States. Smoking cigarettes can do very fatal damages human health (Bender 17). There are over fifty ways of making life miserable through smoking due to illnesses, and more than twenty ways of killing a person (“Action on Smoking and Health” 1). The probability that someone who smokes will develop a major complication in their health is one hundred percent; no matter what, it will happen (Bender 33). Smoking cigarettes or any other drug is the major cause of lung cancer and cardiovascular diseases.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Example Essays]
1388 words (4 pages)