Everyone has a Christmas Eve routine. Christmas Eve starts with getting ready for mass. My family is Catholic, so Christmas Eve mass is always long. Christmas Eve mass starts at around 6 o’clock, and usually gets over at around 8 o’clock. It is usually close to two hours long, but we do not mind because Christmas reminds us why we attend. I love Christmas Eve mass because of the music the choir sings. They remind me of the angels that would be singing around the manager of Jesus after he was born on Christmas Eve hundreds of years ago. The music is soothing, and makes a person realize how beautiful celebrating Christmas is. After church, my family heads back to the house to play cards. I love that we attend Christmas mass. Most people choose not to attend mass, and I do not agree with this one bit. The birth of Jesus Christ is actually why we celebrate this wonderful event. It isn’t about Santa Claus and all the presents. It is about the man that in the end can grant us eternal salvation.
This is my favorite Christmas Eve tradition. My grandma is 85 years old and she loves gambling, so we play rummy, but we bet money also. My uncle was a blackjack dealer in Las Vegas for two years; he is our dealer. Everyone is very competitive, which makes playing cards fun. We do not bet anything more than a few coins. No big dol...
... middle of paper ...
...wanted nothing to do with it. This was during my teenage rebellish years. I remember I did not want to carol, that instead I wanted to be out with my friends. All of a sudden a light clicked in my head while we were caroling. I remember looking around and I realized just how lucky I was to even be with my family. There were children who didn’t have a mom, a dad, a brother, sister, or even a grandma. From this day forward I have always looked forward to Christmas caroling and cannot wait to do it again in just a few short months.
Christmas is my favorite holiday. There are many reasons why I loved Christmas such as my Christmas Eve routine, Christmas morning routine, and giving back. People may celebrate Christmas differently, but everyone celebrates Christmas for the right reason. My favorite reason is because it always brings my closest family home for the holidays.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Our Christmas Day Rituals Christmas Day - a day my entire family looks forward to every year. To our family, it is not so much a religious celebration, but rather a celebration of family culture and togetherness. Our consumption rituals over the course of many years, has shaped our interpretation and understanding of this holiday. Although there are factors that have changed our celebration, in general, Christmas Day is a day where we get up early, dress nicely, exchange gifts, and spend the rest of the day hanging around the house together, and eat together.... [tags: Christmas, Christmas tree, Christmas Eve]
2017 words (5.8 pages)
- ... Christmas Day in Brazil is usually more relaxing for families. They often spend the day together, enjoy left over food from the night before, and possibly attend an afternoon mass. A specific tradition that is only present in Brazil is the idea of a 13th salary. In the month of December, Brazilian workers are paid a 13th salary, or essentially paid their salary twice for that month. Brazil does this in hopes of boosting the economy around Christmas time. New Years in Brazil is quite the celebration.... [tags: Christmas, Christmas Eve, Christmas tree]
1035 words (3 pages)
- ... After crawling into Santa’s sack on Christmas Eve as an infant, Buddy was transported to the North Pole where he was raised among the elves and believed to be one himself. When he learns that he is just like every other human, Buddy sets out to find his father in the bustling city of New York. With a heaping plate of maple syrup spaghetti and a large pile of candy for dessert, burrow into warm blankets and watch how the magical spirit of the holiday season reunites the duo. “Elf gives a message of family,” said sophomore Meagan Collins.... [tags: Christmas, Christmas Eve, Christmas worldwide]
1199 words (3.4 pages)
- ... Elf The storyline of Elf is undoubtedly unrealistic, yet it’s the endless imagination and pure innocence sprinkled throughout that makes it a holiday favorite. Directed by Jon Favreau, the 2003 film stars famed comedian Will Ferrell and tells the story of his character Buddy’s search for his biological father. After crawling into Santa’s sack on Christmas Eve as an infant, Buddy was transported to the North Pole where he was raised among the elves and believed to be one himself. When he learns that he is just like every other human, Buddy sets out to find his father in the bustling city of New York.... [tags: Christmas, Christmas Eve, Christmas worldwide]
1250 words (3.6 pages)
- Among the many countries in the world, Philippines is distinctly known to have the longest Christmas season. Preparations for the holiday start as early as September because Filipinos consider the months ending with the syllable ‘ber’ as Christmas months. The celebration ends on the Feast of Epiphany or Three Kings which is celebrated on the first Sunday after New Year. Christmas is a time for Filipinos to set aside their personal problems and for once give in to the spirit of giving and sharing.... [tags: Christmas, Christmas Eve, Christmas tree]
1027 words (2.9 pages)
- ... His father was a music minister for many years, and they are still very active in their church choir. My husband can play multiple instruments, and they all have lovely singing voices. As a result, my children have inherited that side of the family’s musical ability. At some point during our Christmas visit, everyone always gathers around the piano where either my husband or one of my daughters will accompany us in the singing of Christmas carols. While I have no discernable musical talent of my own, I truly enjoy hearing my family utilize their gifts and sing joyfully.... [tags: Christmas, Christmas Eve, Christmas tree]
1363 words (3.9 pages)
- ... For kids it’s usually telling stories about Santa Claus, who is a mythological character that is in charge of making sure all the “good little boys and good little girls”, that excites them. However, its not all joy and excitement that the Christmas season brings. The feeling of sadness or being depressed around this time of the year may occur for several people because they are missing loved one’s that have passed and are not able to be with them at the celebration. In other cases, people may not get to travel to go see their family, resulting in feeling lonely.... [tags: Christmas, Christmas tree, Christmas Eve, Gift]
882 words (2.5 pages)
- Christmas Eve The family was huddled around the kitchen table, elbows pressed firmly against the varnished surface, supporting heads both weary and dejected from the events of the day. Nothing had changed, Christmas was Christmas. Yet the cheer, the jolly, jovial nature of the whole celebration seemed to have been watered down through years of disappointment and gloom, finally distilled into a tasteless, humourless gathering of bodies. We waited as our grandmother prepared the famously dull and flavourless Turkey which, though bulbous and inviting on the surface, held none of our knowing tongues in suspense.... [tags: fear, armageddon, presents, family]
776 words (2.2 pages)
- Russia celebrates Christmas with great festivities despite the fact that the entire country is covered with snow. Similar to other Eastern Orthodox countries, Russia also celebrates Christmas on the 7th of January. Russia was ruled by the communists for a very long period of time due to which Christmas, just like other religious festivals, could not gain much popularity among people. Christmas was even replaced by the "Festival of Winter". Majority of people in Russia were atheists and that’s why they did not celebrated Christmas for a long period of time.... [tags: cultural traditions]
523 words (1.5 pages)
- “When someone has the good fortune of still belonging to a family, every possible effort should be made to bring that family together” (Tapper 3). This sentence describes that people are lucky when they are not alone, they have their family to support and cheer on every moment. Thus individuals should do everything to increase their family bond. Family tradition is one of the valuable things which connect all members in the family close together. Traditions are various and depend on a specific family.... [tags: Christmas tree, Christmas, Christmas Eve]
1152 words (3.3 pages)