These major religions have had strong representations abate on regional basis, where some are the main or sole religious representations for these regions. Confucianism and Buddhism have major representation in the Asian-Pacific region, the Hindu religion having major representation in the region of India, Christianity being in Europe, North and South America and Sub-Saharan Africa and Islam being heavily represented in the Middle and Far East and in North Africa. The different religions of the world have had significant impacts on the geo-politics of the various regions with the impacts and results being felt in their social fabric.
The religion of Islam
The name Islam is derived from “salam”, an Arabic word that is often interpreted to mean “peace” or “submission.” Therefore a Muslim is a person who submits to the will of Allah (God). Islam, a monotheistic religi...
... middle of paper ...
...ed for differently among the two religions with Christianity rooting for a ‘one man - one wife marriage’ while Islam has provisions for which a man can marry up to a maximum of four wives. Both religions share on the issue of circumcision, while differing on the issue of Baptism that is present only in Christianity.
In conclusion, both religions share many aspects such as origin, belief in God, His Angels, His revelations, the Judgment and Resurrection Day among others. Muhammad referred to both Jews and Christians as the ‘People of the Book’ thus accepting the rightful existence of these two. Differences have arisen that continue to have major impacts in today’s global setting and are causes of much tension, conflict and bloodshed where extremism prevails on both sides. Religious intolerance is one of the main issues that add to this discordance between the two.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- On the surface, Islam and Christianity appear to have very little in common, however, as you get deeper into areas such as rituals, beliefs, ethics, founders, and sacred objects, the two show strong mutual similarities, particularly in the fundamental areas, while being totally different. In this essay I will compare and contrast many of the facets that make up the worlds largest and most recognized religions, Christianity and Islam. Both Islam and Christianity are monotheistic religions, believing in the same god, referred to as 'Allah ' by the Muslims and, 'God ' by the Christians.... [tags: Islam, Christianity, Allah, Qur'an]
1866 words (5.3 pages)
- Islam and Christianity are two major world religions, which have several significant differences, however, there are also many key similarities which allow the two religions to meet on common ground and develop interfaith cooperation. These similarities are in the doctrines and rituals, and their important roles in the settlement of Australia. Catholicism and Islam are also facing many current issues today. These include stereotyping, living between two worlds and a decline in followers. A better understanding of Islam will make it easier to move beyond the stereotypes, helping Australia to become a more culturally diverse society.... [tags: Islam, Christianity, Jesus, Muhammad]
1343 words (3.8 pages)
- Although Islam and Christianity are two different religions they have many things in common and the differences they do have are also similar. Both religions believe that there is one god in the universe and they also each have similar prophets that they believe in. Muslims believe in their god referred to as Allah and one prophet that they as a religion believe in named Mohammad while Christians believe in their god that they refer to as God and prophets such as John the Baptist along with other prophets that the Islam faith, along with others, believe in as well.... [tags: Christianity, Islam, Religion, God]
870 words (2.5 pages)
- Crusades, barbaric beheadings, gruesome massacres, witch hunts… all of these crimes against humanity were due to the interpretation of what is known as God’s will, through his holy books. Many religions are guilty of committing similar atrocities in the name of their respective gods. Islam and Christianity are two ancient religions that have been practiced across the globe for centuries, and early followers of these religions were guilty of mass murder and other violent acts in the name of God. While Islam and Christianity may at a glance seem like two distinct religions, the old testament and the Quran’s moral codes, Sharia law and the 10 Commandments, are almost identical.... [tags: Islam, God, Qur'an, Christianity]
1527 words (4.4 pages)
- Christianity vs. Islam Juan E. Ortega University of Texas at El Paso Christianity vs. Islam Christianity and Islam are the two largest religions in the world comprising more than a half of humanity. The followers of Christianity are known as Christians and the followers of Islam are known as Muslims share much common ground. Both trace their roots to Adam, Abraham, Moses, David, Noah, Samuel and many others (Wikipedia, 2015). Together believe in prophecy, God’s messengers, revelation, scripture, resurrection of death, the centrality of religious community, monotheistic religion, heaven and hell, and the birth of Jesus.... [tags: Christianity, Trinity, Islam, God]
1676 words (4.8 pages)
- Islam and Christianity are two of the largest religions that are practiced in the world. They are characterized by their beliefs and practices. These doctrines both have similarities that interlock, and differences that separate them. Learning about these faiths from a historical perspective allows people and myself to be knowledgeable of these religions, and its modern day members. It allows me to evaluate my shallow view of certain religions and interact without misinformed prejudice.... [tags: Christianity, Jesus, Islam, Bible]
1086 words (3.1 pages)
- INTRODUCTION Both Islam and Catholicism can be considered two major religions in the world. Ninian Smart’s seven dimensions of religion define key element in a religion. Despite the fact that the two religions are different, there are some factors which are similar between the two religions. Catholicism and Islam can be compared and contrasted through Smart’s Doctrinal and Ethical Dimensions, the history of these faith traditions in Australia and a contemporary issue of euthanasia. Through the evaluation of the Doctrinal and Ethical dimensions of religion, history and the perspectives on euthanasia, it will become clear that Catholicism and Islam are able to be compared and contrasted.... [tags: Islam, Christianity, God, Trinity]
1430 words (4.1 pages)
- World Religions 110 has been such an amazing class to me. It will be hard to put into words how much I loved taking this class and learning about the different religions. Not only did we learn about religions, but also I feel we also learned about character, compassion, and actualization. Out of all the different topics to discuss, I feel the most important to me are: Hinduism, Islam, and Christianity. I would like to start with Hinduism because I feel this religion had the biggest impact on me not only as a student but also as a person.... [tags: Islam, Religion, Hinduism, Christianity]
1077 words (3.1 pages)
- Religion has and always will be a controversial topic across the world. There are approximately 4,200 practicing religions in the world today. Religion typically is passed down from generation to generation in different societies. For example, here in Mississippi, we are in the region commonly known as the “Bible Belt.” There is a church found almost everywhere in the area, and the dominant religion is Christianity. However, if you were to go to Salt Lake City, Utah, the majority of people there would be Mormon.... [tags: Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Jesus]
1395 words (4 pages)
- Islam and Christianity seem to have very little in common; however, the two actually show strong likeness, principally in the central areas. Both Muslims and Christians are monotheists, believing in one God. While both believe in the same God, He is called by two completely different names. He is referred to as "Allah" by Muslims and "God" by Christians. Although Islam and Christianity are two different religions, their similarities in beliefs and prayers make them comparable in many aspects. Muslims and Christians have distinct prayers that correspond.... [tags: Islam, Christianity, religion, ]
775 words (2.2 pages)