Giving yourself enough time during the year to figure rooming out, is a big part of the stress. You will want to start early, because you need to have that cushion and a backup plan if yours fall through. For example, if you are having to tell a roommate or friend that you will not be rooming with them next semester, the considerate thing to do is give the other person enough time to find other living arrangements. By giving the other person enough time to find other living arrangements, you providing a cushion for yourself, and your friend will take the news easier (Miller, 2006). It “Softens the blow” (Miller, 2006). Telling someone they can’t room with you when they are expecting to can be a difficult task to handle, and sometimes it is easier to let it slide until the last minute, because you don’t want to deal with the drama. Putting off telling your friend/roommate that they can’t live with you may seem like a brilliant idea at the time, ...
... middle of paper ...
...roommate have similar likes and dislikes, have about the same sleeping or studying habits, and roommates get a long best if they are both not aggressive than if they are both aggressive and outspoken people. Also, two dominant and controlling personalities can lead to trouble. If these suggestions are followed, then you will be able avoid all kinds of conflict that may have occurred later.
Miller, R. H. (2006). College housing decisions: choosing new roommates. In College housing decisions: choosing new roommates . Retrieved February 22, 2012, from http://www.education.com/reference/article/college-housing-decisions-roommate/
2. (2010). The Journal of college and university student housing, 36(2). Retrieved February 22, 2012, from http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/acuho/ journal_vol36no2/index.php?startid=17
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Having a dilemma in choosing a right school. Parents are given a choice to choose between a boarding school or daily school for their children. Students can learn many important skills when studying in a boarding school. Parents should send their children to a boarding school as it is the best way for children to learn how to live independently, improve their academic performance and learn how to socialize. Students from boarding school live without having much guidance from their parents. This encourages them to be independent.... [tags: Education]
719 words (2.1 pages)
- Max Apple's “Roommates” tells the story of two unnamed men, a grandfather and his grandson, and the unusual circumstances that lead them to share the same house for over 30 years. The grandfather is described as an irate man, a lover of strife, who dedicated his life to perpetual arguments and complaints. The grandson, the author of the piece, never explicitly describes himself, but one can infer from the text that he is an affable man who has a pleasant character, both considerate and introverted.... [tags: Roommates, personalities, characters,]
615 words (1.8 pages)
- Choosing the best living environment is an integral part of students' academic success and financial stability throughout college. Where one lives often dictates the people with whom he or she associates, extracurricular activities, time spent on school work, and consequently one’s GPA in school. Any decision made in regards to housing can be seen as containing both positive and negative factors; however, after diligent research and studying the facts, even just the idea of requiring anyone to live on-campus is absolutely absurd.... [tags: living off-campus, college life]
1157 words (3.3 pages)
- The process of choosing the right college is not a decision to be taken lightly. The next four years of your life should be at a place where you can thrive. So often people disregard the idea of college, and can’t grasp the concept that this next step in your life is not only exciting but frightening. This isn’t like going to Starbucks and spending a half hour ordering a drink that will only last you an hour, this decision has a direct impact on your future. The fact of the matter is that college isn’t about which school has the cutest boys, best parties, and easiest courses, rather the one that will push your mind to think in new ways.... [tags: College, High school, Irvine, California]
1057 words (3 pages)
- The process of choosing the right college is not something to be taken lightly. The next four years of your life should be somewhere where you can thrive. So often people disregard the idea of college, and can’t grasp the concept that this next step in your life is not only exciting but frightening. This isn’t like going to Starbucks and spending a half hour ordering a drink that will only last you an hour, this decision has a direct impact on your future. The fact of the matter is that college isn’t about which school has the cutest boys, best parties, and easiest courses, rather the one that will push your mind to think in new ways.... [tags: College, High school, Irvine, California]
1032 words (2.9 pages)
- In our team project we will be choosing the right training methods need to merge and self-direct our new work team. Choosing the right training methods can be difficult due to the five stages which are forming, storming, and norming, performing and adjourning. As a result each of the team member need to know their goals, skills and interests in laying out a plans which will be describing how we will develop our new team within each of the companies departments. Building team activity, coaching, delegating work and managing our talents will create successful planning which can be applied to our daily lives.... [tags: Team, The A-Team, The Work, The Next Phase]
1467 words (4.2 pages)
- Choosing the Right Roof Rack According to your Need Roof racks also known as roof bars, etc can carry all sorts of weight of goods from bags, luggage, fishing gear to canoes, kayaks or even ladders. When it comes to choosing the right roof rack there are an array of choices available according to your need. While some businesses require heavy-duty roof rack, some require lighter roof rack. If you would like to increase the storage space of your car or cargo you can opt for auto roof racks. They not only create enough space but also give a more bulky look to your cargo.... [tags: Automobile, Vehicle, Transport, Want]
725 words (2.1 pages)
- ... I downloaded the game and I enjoyed the graphic of the game and the unique playing style. He worked for the Riot Company in the LA, and he is a professional graphic designer to me. After watching this video three times, I was amazed and I felt that this is my thing. I want it. The video inspired and directed me to my future career path. Both of my parents are blue-collar workers. My father did not go to middle school and my mother did not finish her middle school education. My father always wanted me to get a white-collar job, someone who worked in an office and got paid well and paid constantly.... [tags: college life]
804 words (2.3 pages)
- On June 14, 2015 at approximately 1310 hrs, multiple officers and I were dispatched to 1613 Holly Rd for a report of a disturbance between roommates. Upon arrival, I spoke to Appiah-Kumi(victim) who stated in effect on June 14, 2015 at approximately 1300 hrs, she was inside of her home packing her belongings to leave to her mother 's house because of issues Marion Bannerman (defendant) and Appiah-Kumi has been having while living in the same house. Appiah-Kumi stated that Bannerman came home from outside and wanted to speak with her in their home.... [tags: Domestic violence, Violence, Road, Automobile]
704 words (2 pages)
- Changing Roommates Choosing to leave the comforts of your family and home to go away to college is a life-changing decision. The roommate you get matched up with can make or break your experience. The girl I was matched up with changed my life considerably in a way I didn't like, so I moved out. Moving was the best choice I could have made. The first sight of my new dorm room was not at all what I expected. There were boxes and papers everywhere. Out from behind a tower of boxes emerged the girl I knew I would be living with for the next few months.... [tags: Personal Narrative Writing]
630 words (1.8 pages)