Ever since civilization was capable of recording history, we were able to identify the type of job fields that existed throughout history. Not much has changed over the centuries; Ancient Greece consisted of farmers and fishermen just like we have today. According to the Bible, Jesus Christ was a carpenter by trade, he followed in the footsteps of his adoptive father. I believe a lot of people throughout history have aimed to follow the same line of work as their parents, because they respected their mother/father; parents have a big influence on our career choices. Unfortunately, many people eventually realized they earned their degrees/licenses in their chosen line of work without a meaningful purpose, other than to satisfy other's wishes. I believe some of us realize our dire career choices, because they lack vocation.
In the booklet “Let Your Life Speak”, Parker J. Palmer (2000) explained his despair involving teaching sociology at Georgetown to the community at PendleHill. Palmer did not feel the career path he decided upon was meant for him; Palmer stated “ Despite the American myth, I cannot be or do whatever I desire... There are some roles and relationships in which we thrive and others in which we wither and die.” (p.44)
I believe an individual's career path is one of the most important choices that individual will make in their entire life. The career paths we take effect the world. For example, if Albert Einstein did not become a theoretical physicist, the general theory of relativity may not exist today; if Einstein did not warn President Franklin D. Roosevelt of the potential development of bombs by other countries, the Manhattan Project may not have taken place- the project has acted as a chain reaction toward ...
... middle of paper ...
...ladness for our career meet along with the world's great need for our work, this is the meeting point of purpose in our lives.
Regrettably, there isn't a guide on how-to live a life of purpose and make choices of meaning. Although, I believe an individual's religious beliefs and family's support can help make an individual's journey easier. Not all of us find our vocation, some of us glance at our destiny and turn away, because of fear of change. Others, never have the opportunity to find their vocation because of the bad influences in their lives. I feel the place God calls one to is one's vocation, if an individual is brave and pushes their ego aside, they may be able to listen to God's instruction; thankfully, I have performed such instructions, and that is the reason I am currently enrolled in a prestigious university earning my degree- to reach my vocation!
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... I downloaded the game and I enjoyed the graphic of the game and the unique playing style. He worked for the Riot Company in the LA, and he is a professional graphic designer to me. After watching this video three times, I was amazed and I felt that this is my thing. I want it. The video inspired and directed me to my future career path. Both of my parents are blue-collar workers. My father did not go to middle school and my mother did not finish her middle school education. My father always wanted me to get a white-collar job, someone who worked in an office and got paid well and paid constantly.... [tags: college life]
804 words (2.3 pages)
- Explore Your Career Options – How to Choose the Right Career Path After High School Although some high school students think they are too young to think about a career in the future, the opposite is true. High school is the time when a student should start looking at different options to plan for what comes after high school. For many high school students, trying to choose the right career path after high school is a daunting task. Should I go to college. Should I skip college and find a job right away.... [tags: High school, College, Massage, Technicians]
1298 words (3.7 pages)
- Choosing a career path is easy for some people; for others it is one of the hardest decisions. I was the second type of person, having a hard time to discover what I wanted to be in life. I only knew that I wanted to help people and I wanted to be successful. Three years ago, when I came to this country, I found myself struggling even more. I had too many opportunities in front of me and I wanted to make a wise choice. According to Florida laws I had to wait a year before I could study. I needed a job to help my family and I started working for CVS Pharmacy.... [tags: Pharmacy, Pharmacist, Pharmacy technician]
720 words (2.1 pages)
- The process of choosing the right college is not a decision to be taken lightly. The next four years of your life should be at a place where you can thrive. So often people disregard the idea of college, and can’t grasp the concept that this next step in your life is not only exciting but frightening. This isn’t like going to Starbucks and spending a half hour ordering a drink that will only last you an hour, this decision has a direct impact on your future. The fact of the matter is that college isn’t about which school has the cutest boys, best parties, and easiest courses, rather the one that will push your mind to think in new ways.... [tags: College, High school, Irvine, California]
1057 words (3 pages)
- The process of choosing the right college is not something to be taken lightly. The next four years of your life should be somewhere where you can thrive. So often people disregard the idea of college, and can’t grasp the concept that this next step in your life is not only exciting but frightening. This isn’t like going to Starbucks and spending a half hour ordering a drink that will only last you an hour, this decision has a direct impact on your future. The fact of the matter is that college isn’t about which school has the cutest boys, best parties, and easiest courses, rather the one that will push your mind to think in new ways.... [tags: College, High school, Irvine, California]
1032 words (2.9 pages)
- Every college has different majors; there are many colleges throughout the world that have many different majors that are not common. They offer unique majors because not everyone has the same interests and are passionate about the same career. The ability for students to have different opportunities in choosing their career path that is a good thing because if everyone wanted to be the same thing would there be any job openings. It should not matter if you are apart of the college of nursing or the college of arts.... [tags: High school, College, Higher education, School]
1376 words (3.9 pages)
- With the advent of internet, writers have found a good career path in the field of online writing. They can provide freelance works which not only gives them the freedom to be self-employed but also helps them make good money. Freelance writing can be in many fields such as the magazine writer, copy writer, e-book writer, proof editor, technical writer etc. Writers for magazines should have a vivid variety of interests, have good researching skills and need to be very coherent. Freelance writers can write for many magazines and prefer to write on various topics.... [tags: Career Description ]
516 words (1.5 pages)
- Throughout my life, my career choices have been such an up and down experience, a true roller coaster. In other words, it is never consistent whatsoever. Some of my career choices include being a chef, firefighter, professional wrestler, football player, an author and other similar choices. And just like these choices, I never stick to it due to other alluring career choices that I was interested in. For example, after watching an episode of Chef Emeril, I was amazed by his cooking capabilities.... [tags: Teacher, High school, Psychology, College]
1296 words (3.7 pages)
- In four months I will be done with high school, and the time has come for me to go to college and learn a career. The career that I plan on choosing is a mechanical engineer. A mechanical engineer is a very broad career path with many jobs available. “These jobs can range from someone designing parts for space shuttles, buildings, computers, cars, and various other important mechanical parts that are necessary for today’s society” (bls.gov) . The part of mechanical engineering that I want to go into is the design of automotive engines.... [tags: career, college]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- The Nursing Career I was in a hospital for my co-op placement, I chose this because I was considering nursing as my chosen career path. For this reason, I have researched the nursing career. I have spent many hours in this setting and feel that I have a pretty good understanding as to what goes on day to day. Before choosing to become a nurse, one must first examine themselves and look to see if they have the right qualities for this demanding job. Some qualities are such; caring, compassion, a strong desire and willingness to help those in need, patience, honesty and above all, good health.... [tags: Co-op Placement Nursing Career Work ]
1200 words (3.4 pages)
- The Qualities and Traits Mangers Need to be Successful
- Not Going down Without a Fight: Breat Tumors
- Interactive Consumer Health Information Technology and the Elderly
- Feminist in Susan Glaspell´s Play Trifles
- The Declassification of Faith: Viewpoints of Saint Augustine
- Music Journal: Study of Latin American Music