As Fink points out, Carbohydrates, in the form of glucose, are the main source of fuel for all physical activity. Fats on the other hand are primarily used as a fuel source while resting and when performing moderately to low intensity exercises. (Fink, 2012, p.3) It’s these facts that are so significant. The event she participates in will be fairly short yet very intense with that in mind as an 800-meter track athlete the Carbohydrates are going to serve her the best. She will require immediate as well as a short sustained use of energy for her event. While she will be using both energy systems Fink states she will mainly be using anaerobic energy system which “is a major contributor to intense activities that last from 1 to 3 minutes.” (Fink, 2012, p. 50)
Undoubtedly Kay must be experiencing some undesired results during her races which she wants to correct. She is managing to do the correct thing by seeking nutrition as the answer. She is cur...
... middle of paper ...
...etermine which adjustments actually need to be made. If Kay is currently truly following a well planned high carbohydrate diet then her issue will be her training.
AERENHOUTS, D., DERIEMAEKER, P., HEBBELINCK, M., & CLARYS, P. (2011). Energy and macronutrient intake in adolescent sprint athletes: A follow-up study. Journal Of Sports Sciences, 29(1), 73-82.
Fink, Heather Hedrick., Alan E. Mikesky, and Lisa A. Burgoon. (2012). Practical Applications in Sports Nutrition,3rd edition. Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
Hunt, J. (2011). We Can Raise American Distance Runners To Gold Medal Levels. Track Coach, (196), 6239-6247.
Rosenkranz, R. R., Cook, C. M., & Haub, M. D. (2007). Endurance Training on Low-Carbohydrate and Grain-Based Diets: A Case Study. International Journal Of Sport Nutrition & Exercise Metabolism, 17(3), 296-309
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Low Carb Cookbook: Delicious Snack Recipes For Weight Loss Introduction Staying healthy is a very big concern for many people today and rightfully so. They have to stay healthy to stay alive and function as a human being. Health is maintained by changing unhealthy diets into healthy ones. There are lots of books, articles, and academic studies that link diet and exercise to health. If you were to change your diet immediately, you can definitely change your weight overnight. The main problem, especially in the United States and Mexico, is the issue with being overweight.... [tags: Nutrition, Carbohydrate, Obesity, Glucose]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- South Beach Diet: The Healthy Low Carb Alternative The South Beach Diet is a healthy alternative for promoting a healthy heart and lifestyle and for losing weight. Though often referred to as a low carbohydrate diet, South Beach does not endorse eating the unlimited fats and proteins that have become a signature criticism of the low carb diets. Instead, the diet was created with the intention of improving people’s cardiovascular health while also helping them to lose weight. The general concerns voiced about low carbohydrate diets do not apply to the South Beach Diet.... [tags: Health Nutrition Diet Exercise Essays]
880 words (2.5 pages)
- Portray the scene as follows; a girl is in the third grade just recently diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid arthritis. Her world is turned upside down with injections twice a week and pills that make her sick to her stomach daily. The pain in her joints is monumental. Prednisone a steroid used to eliminate joint swelling and pain caused her to gain a significant amount of weight in a rapid amount of time. Subsequently the third grade, this girl has struggled with her weight persistently gaining up into her senior year of high school.... [tags: Nutrition, Obesity, Low-carbohydrate diet]
869 words (2.5 pages)
- I started the New Year deciding that I was going to become a healthier person. Think healthy, eat healthy, and be healthy. At first, I wanted to lose weight. I tried doing a “no carb” diet. Two weeks within the diet, and I felt sluggish, tired, and grouchy. During my diet, I was also going to try to run a mile a day. That lasted for two days. I did not even have the energy to wake up to go to work in the morning. I decided to switch to just eating healthy and exercising regularly. I am still working on the “exercising regularly” part.... [tags: Nutrition, Vitamin, Milk, Unsaturated fat]
1634 words (4.7 pages)
- Discussion: How can the diet be improved. The information gathered conveys both the deficiencies and surpluses of nutrients in Miranda’s diet. Based on the results, she consumed roughly half of the daily-recommended calorie intake for her age group, which is 2175 calories (Davies, 2012). With this being said, the first area of amendment would be to increase her calorie intake. She could do this in many ways, one of which would be to consume more healthy food. Alternatively, Miranda could choose foods higher in good fat, which would also have a higher caloric content.... [tags: Nutrition, Fat, Fatty acid, Eating]
1152 words (3.3 pages)
- The Story of a Girl’s Low Carb Diet Portray the scene as follows; a girl is in the third grade just recently diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid arthritis. Her world is turned upside down with injections twice a week and pills that make her sick to her stomach daily. The pain in her joints is monumental. Prednisone a steroid used to eliminate joint swelling and pain caused her to gain a significant amount of weight in a rapid amount of time. Subsequently the third grade, this girl has struggled with her weight persistently gaining up into her senior year of high school.... [tags: Nutrition, Obesity, Low-carbohydrate diet]
878 words (2.5 pages)
- ... A few of the types of low-carb diets are the South Beach Diet, and the Atkins Diet. WebMD, a medical site that provides valuable health information, reports, “There are three phases to the South Beach Diet, in phase 1 you are restricted to a lot of protein, some fats, and carbs with the lowest glycemic index, phase 2 slowly reintroduces healthy carbs into your diet, and phase 3 is all about maintaining your weight.” There are also three stages to the Atkins Diet, WebMD states, “the first stage has very specific rules, such as: no more than 20 grams of carbs per day; protein and fat from different meats, butter, and vegetable oils; no pasta, bread, grains, fruit, starchy vegetables, or da... [tags: Weight-loss, Health]
943 words (2.7 pages)
- (2)Weakness The evidence was found from other papers,and there are some methodology drawbacks.When compared the low fat and low carbohydrate diet,researcher collect data from 17 trails without specific patient-level data.The other research based on the CHD rate only had 148 men and women participants and only 119 of them finished the trail,so that the sample size is not representative to draw a conclusion.Moreover,the result is lack of heart disease end point.The trail for women was lack of long-term intervention data.It just focus on women aged 50-79,the data can not represent all age groups.When focus on saturated fat，the trail collect the data from 6 RCT,but only one of them had healt... [tags: Nutrition, Fatty acid, Saturated fat, Fat]
1213 words (3.5 pages)
- Low carbohydrate (carb) diets have been used as a weight loss treatment for many years. Recently low carbohydrate diets are being used with athletes as a performance enhancement method by changing training adaptations. This essay will examine the health risks and benefits of a low carb diet, as well as the effects of low carb diets on the endurance athlete in regards to their training and performance. There are many short term benefits of low carb diets. However there are also many long term risks that outweigh the benefits for the general population.... [tags: Fatty Acids, Healthy Cellular Growth]
1824 words (5.2 pages)
- The Atkins Diet: Low-Carb Mania Dr. Robert Atkins ignited the dieting world when he introduced the word “low carb mania,” which is now known as the Atkins diet. The diet claims that you can lose weight on a high fat, high protein diet. The program works on four main principles which are to limit the amount of consumption of simple carbohydrates, increase the intake of protein, to exercise on a daily basis, and to maintain proper food consumption. The new diet revolution has stirred up a controversial debate on whether the higher fat, lower carb diet is healthy in the long run for diet consumers.... [tags: Health Nutrition Diet Exercise Essays]
441 words (1.3 pages)