The One That Does It All
When choosing a major there are many options to choose from and many variables that can affect your decision. When looking at ULM's list of majors the first one alphabetically would be accounting. Everyone knows that is not a way to predetermine a major, but it is a coincidence that accounting is a very sound major. Accounting is for anyone with a business mind who likes to be around figures mainly dealing with money. Accounting can be fastidious at times, but with hard work very rewarding. The accounting major, part of the business college at ULM, is a good choice for students because it is a strong major at ULM and leads to fulfilling careers.
The accounting major at ULM is part of the college of business. There are many reasons why an entering freshman might would choose accounting. Dr. McEacharn, who received here BBA and MBA at ULM and has now taught here for over 25 years says, “The potential job opportunities are broad and boundless, and are not all directly related to accounting.” Accounting is imperative in the U.S. Workforce. All businesses, government agencies, and any nonprofit entities require an accountant. After obtaining a master’s degree, graduate school can help someone receive their doctorate. With a doctorate, a CPA (certified public accountant) license can be received after passing a test. A degree in accounting requires 120 hours at ULM, some of which consist of the basic core classes. The classes taken for the specific major will range through many various topics including: financing, business management, tax codes and laws, economics, and marketing (Baugh). There are many possibilities that could come from this major; which is obtainable at ULM.
There are m...
... middle of paper ...
...t occurs and too many mistakes are made, jail time could be the end result. The work leaves very little room for even extremely small errors. Anyone who is up to the challenge should know that right here at ULM there is a successful accounting program. The major is very versatile. At ULM, the professors are top of the line. After college, there are so many options and so much room for advancement. If I ever were to change my major, I now know what my first option is going to be.
"Accounting." The University of Louisiana at Monroe ULM. ULM, 2014. Web. 12 Feb. 2014.
Baugh, Jordan. "The Accounting Major." Personal interview. 4 Feb. 2014.
Dr. McEacharn, Michelle. "Accounting Major." E-mail interview. 6 Feb. 2014.
Dr. McEacharn, Michelle. "Accounting Major." E-mail interview. 6 Feb. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Managerial accounting, also known as cost accounting, is defined by the textbook as the phase of accounting that is related to providing information to managers for use within the organization (Noreen, Brewer, & Garrison, 2014, p. 19). Managerial accounting information is aimed at helping managers within the organization make sound business decisions. On the other hand, financial accounting is focused on providing information to individuals outside the organization. Managers rely on cost accounting to provide them with an idea of the actual expenses related to processes, departments, operations or products which are the basis of their budget procedures.... [tags: Management accounting, Cost accounting, Ethics]
912 words (2.6 pages)
- It is my one-year experience as an exchange student in the University of Birmingham that makes me to be determined to continue my postgraduate study in the UK. Different from China, the education in the UK not only focus on lectures, but also involves varieties ways, including discussion, group work, presentations and workshops. Each module provides a large amount of reading materials and asks student to do pre- and after-class preparation. This request of autonomous learning is exactly what I admire, and I feel that my English and comprehensive ability had made astounding advances during my study in University of Birmingham.... [tags: Certified Management Accountant, Finance]
787 words (2.2 pages)
- When trying to choose a major for college, I had narrowed my decision down to three choices: physical therapy, secondary education, and elementary education. I knew I wanted to help people, I just wasn’t sure which road I wanted to take. I elinated physical therapy fairly quickly, because I knew how repetitive it would get. 8 appointments a day for rehabbing hip replacements and ACL tears didn’t sound too appealing to me. I was left with two choices: secondary education and elementary education.... [tags: Teacher, Education, School, History of education]
1187 words (3.4 pages)
- Financial and Managerial accounting are used for making sound financial decisions about an organization. They provide information of past quantitative financial activities and are useful in making future economic decisions. (Albrecht, Stice, Stice, & Skousen, 2002) The same financial data is used to derive reports for each accounting process yet they differ in some ways. Financial accounting primarily provides external reports for external users such as stock holders, creditors, regulating authority and others.... [tags: Accounting, ]
1091 words (3.1 pages)
- Title Accounting Career Resorces Accounting my field of study The purpose of accounting is to provide the information that needed to make sound economic decisions. It is one of the oldest professions in the world today, and the backbone of any business operation. It is not just about numbers, accounting is about planning. Accounting has many subfields, which includes management accounting, financial accounting, and cost accounting. Accounting can be a prestigious career, but to achieve that prestige you will have pass the CPA (Certified Public Accountant) exam and become a licensed accountant, and with that license you can work in any of the subfields.... [tags: Accounting]
1868 words (5.3 pages)
- Choosing a Major Some people already know by the age of seven that they want to become a pilot or nurse; others, however, have more difficulties deciding what to do with their future. People who decided to go to a university or college have to make an important choice: what major are they going into. For many people this is a very difficult question. As the statistics show, one out of five students change their major between admission and the first day of classes. Nearly three out of four students change majors at least twice before they graduate.... [tags: University College Education Essays]
1988 words (5.7 pages)
- Choosing a Major Education is a very broad and difficult term and no two people define it the same way, but most would agree that you do get an education in college. Many colleges pride themselves on developing "well-rounded" students, and yet they make it mandatory for each student to choose one field of specified study. This seems to contradict the whole "well-rounded" idea. Education can't be confined to just academics. In fact, here is how the dictionary defines academics "very learned but inexperienced in practical matters, conforming to the traditions or rules of a school." I don't want to be "considered inexperienced in practical matters." I know the dictionary definitions aren't... [tags: Argumentative Education College Essays]
1611 words (4.6 pages)
- The accounting system we use today started in Venice in renaissance period over 520 years ago. The trade business increased hugely during this time and all the financial recordings had to be written down to help people see how their business is doing. During that time in 1494 the first book about was published in accounting by Luca Paciolli and was called “The Collected Knowledge of Arithmetic, Geometry, Proportion and Proportionality”. He was called “The father of Accounting” and most of his described principles have been used up until this day.... [tags: Accounting]
1499 words (4.3 pages)
- When it comes to choosing a major in college, it is important that you pick a major that you will enjoy working in for the some part of your life. How does one make that decision. There are several different factors that play a role in choosing a major; or there was for me at least. When I looked into business for my intended major the first thing that came to my mind was not if I was going to enjoy working in some kind of business environment because I already new I would like that. Instead I looked at other aspects or values that a business degree offers.... [tags: Business Accounting]
1264 words (3.6 pages)
- The Financial Accounting Standards Board is board of seven independent members who are accounting professionals that was developed in 1973. This seven member group is responsible for communicating the standards that are in place for financial accounting and reporting that takes place in the United States. Generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) are the standards that are used by the FASB to govern the way in which corporations prepare their financial reports. This process of utilizing these standards to maintain and report accounting files is the only method that the US Securities and Exchange Commission will accept.... [tags: Business Accounting Finance]
1116 words (3.2 pages)