Henry David Thoreau once said, “It often happens that a man is more humanely related to a cat or dog than to any human being.” By saying this, Thoreau made it clear that animals and humans go well together. He observed and noted that human animal relationships are strong and are sometimes better than the relationships people form with each other. These strong human animal relationships tend to have a positive effect for people in several aspects. In fact, in order to receive these positive benefits, many individuals decide to get a pet, so that they can form that type of bond. Children are also benefited from pets, but they are unable to decide for themselves whether they can get one or not. Bringing rise to the question, should parents allow their children to grow up with a pet? This is a controversial topic because some people are firm believers that children should own a pet because of the benefits that come along with it. While, others are strongly opposed to the idea of children having pets because of the risk factor that the animals posses. Children should grow up owning a pet because the animals provide both emotional and social support, teach the child important life lessons, and are both psychologically and physically healthy for the child.
Animals support children in both emotional and social aspects. Child development is a sensitive time period because that is when the child is figuring out who they are and what kind of adult they want to be. There are lots of firsts and children suffer from anxiety because of that. In Dr. Jason Goldman’s blog, he writes, “children who turned to their pets for emotional support were less anxious and withdrawn than those who didn’t”. The s...
... middle of paper ...
... the parent. Although some parents feel that pets are hazardous for their child, they are not considering the other important factors involved. Once all factors are considered, it is clear that pets are more beneficial than harmful and children should grow up owning one.
Children should grow up owning a pet because there are many benefits to it. The pet will provide emotional and social support during the child’s time of development. The support received, allows the child to optimize their development because of the healthy relationship formed. Caring and being responsible for the pet will provide children with important lessons that will be useful throughout their lives. Furthermore, animals allow children to become healthier both mentally and physically. Parents should allow their child to have a pet as they grow up because it will be beneficial to the child.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Rough Draft 3 According to the Oxford Lafayette Humane Society website on average every single day ten thousand cats and dogs euthanized in the United States alone. Most of these animals were perfectly healthy, normal, and suitable pets that were never adopted yet were euthanized due to over population. Humans have kept pets ever since ancient times. Centuries ago they were mostly kept for food, source of material such as fur, and hunting aids, but now a days they are companions and the thought of killing, eating, and wearing them sounds senseless.... [tags: owner, pet, experience]
2141 words (6.1 pages)
- The following “Total U.S Pet Industry Expenditures” statistics are gathered by American Pet Products Association from various market research sources and are not included in the organization 's bi-annual National Pet Owners Survey. In this statistic，the total U.S pet industry expenditures is nearly increase 28 billions to 53 billions from 2001 to 2012. It is obvious showed more and more Americans are willing to spend money on pets. I think the number of Americans who own pets also influenced this research.... [tags: Dog, Pet, Property, Want]
1401 words (4 pages)
- The SNHU Pet Supply Store has successfully met consumer needs for pet food, toys, and other pet related items for the past ten years using online and traditional brick and mortar channels. Recognizing that their customer need and wants are changing, the SNHU Pet Store will expand into the all-natural pet food market for dogs and cats with an exciting new product, named Farm to Bowl. This product is made from organic, locally sourced meat and vegetable ingredients, and is intended to meet the changing wants, needs, and desires of today’s consumers for socially responsible and healthy food options for their pets.... [tags: Marketing, Pet food, Pet foods]
1255 words (3.6 pages)
- In Anton Chekhov 's story "The Lady With the Pet Dog" the main themes in the story are romance and deception, which both completely contradict each other. In this story there was no climax or conclusion but Chekhov wrote it in a way that keeps readers engaged. There seems to be almost no point to this story by the end, however with Chekhov 's writing technique he was able to create a story that draws readers’ attention. There were multiple internal conflicts in "The Lady With the Pet Dog” that the two main characters faced.... [tags: Marriage, Love, Wife, Charles Bukowski]
1177 words (3.4 pages)
- Focus on Point of View The Lady with the Pet Dog – Anton Chekhow 1) The person who made that statement is only looking at the aspect of betrayal. I agree the main characters are selfish and irresponsible but for different reasons. I think they should come forward and admit their love, even though it may hurt as adults. I do not think the entire story is immoral because it still shows the reality of passionate love that can happen between two people, and the tragedy of finding the person you love so late in life.... [tags: Love, Marriage, Short story, Anton Chekhov]
1041 words (3 pages)
- The collaboration between humans and animals has existed since the beginning of humanity. The cavemen threw out excess scraps that they did not desire and the wolves devoured them. Overtime, the relationship between man and wolf blossomed and this caused the wolves to be more docile and subservient towards humans. This allowed humans to domesticate the wolves and establish a partnership that will last for millenniums to come. Whether it is domesticating wolves in the forest or adopting a pet at the local pet shelter, the partnership never cease to exist.... [tags: humans and animals]
1229 words (3.5 pages)
- As we discussed about pet psychology last semester I decided to write about my pet. In my opinion, people who have pets are the most suitable people to give you advice about dog or any other pet. Maybe someone is scientist or he studied dog’s behavior but real experts for dogs are people who live with them, feed them, take care of them and the most important: love them. Seven years ago I got my first pet, golden retriever. Back then I couldn't even imagine how much he would mean to me. One day dad’s cousin told us that if we want a dog we can come to their place and pick one because they have seven of them and they can’t sell them.... [tags: cats, dogs, care]
650 words (1.9 pages)
- Children, jam-packed with vitality, enthusiasm, imagination, and determination to live life to the fullest, often find themselves confronting life's biggest challenges. For instance, children build unconditional friendships at an early age that solidify a foundation for future relationships. Despite this learning curve, some obstacles may arise that could detrimentally harm the child's perception of friendships if left unnoticed. If one or both parents have jobs that require consistent commuting, then relocation might arise unexpectedly.... [tags: Children Relationships, Adapting, Stability]
1458 words (4.2 pages)
- Follow the helpful tips for eliminating the ants with pet safe ant killer Description: crawling of ants is not only disturbing but they also can create a lot of problems to the homeowners. But using a few tips and pet safe ant killer one can easily eradicate them from the home. There is no doubt about the fact that ants a really a disturbing element, they can bring a lot of headache for most of the homeowners. Ants are not only a kind of disturbing element but also can do a lot of damage too. Depending on the kind of ants crawling around your home you should take the measures too because all types of ants cannot be tamed or eliminated with the same kind of procedure.... [tags: Ultraviolet, Sunscreen, Titanium dioxide, Sunburn]
2302 words (6.6 pages)
- My interest in becoming a veterinarian led me to wanting answers to the main question that is about to be discussed. It starts with something as simple as my grandpa asking my dog “What are you good for Hercules?” I respond with using a few honest answers from my heart. “For love, kisses, company and to warm my heart.” I know, the trust behind those facts are built on the relationship my dog and I have worked on. This left me wondering, how do animals effect the human body and does the type of animal change our reactions.... [tags: Dog, Pet, Human body, Human anatomy]
1409 words (4 pages)