Are You My Mother?, by P.D Eastman, is a book that displays a problem that is evident in the world today. Though this book may seem as if it lacks much meaning, it very well displays the issue of child neglect. Phycologytoday.com defines child neglect as: “a type of maltreatment related to the failure to provide needed, age-appropriate care.” Child neglect is a serious problem because there are those parents and guardians that do the minimal to provide and protect for their child that they are supposed to be caring for. Caring for a child is the most vital part of parenting. Without it, there is no love to show how important the child is. When a child feels uncared for, they will seek someplace else for the attention that they need. In order for a parent to child relationship to prosper, the parents will need provide supervision, organization, physical attention, and emotional attention. If the needs are not met, then the act of child neglect is becomes a question to be asked.
Children are not born with freedom and responsibility. It is earned and given through the different stages of life. As a child, one is meant to enjoy and live life without stress given that there is supervision involved by a parent. With supervision, a child should remain relatively safe from potential hazards and dangers. In Are You My Mother?, Eastman emphasizes that when the baby bird hatched, he could not find his mother anywhere around him. With phrases such as, “Down out of the tree he went” (Eastman 16), and the use of the word “down”, we see that the baby bird was already put in potential danger. The only way the baby bird would be able to look for his mom would be by leaving the nest. For birds, flying is a sign of growt...
... middle of paper ...
Though this children’s book seems as simple as it looks, it does very well show the problem of child neglect. The mother bird truly did show great intentions by realizing that she needed to go find food for her baby bird, but she lacked in every other aspect. She was not there to supervise her newborn baby bird, causing him to be put into potentially dangerous situations. She was also very unorganized in her actions which caused a great deal of confusion for the baby, and she failed in creating the first physical and emotional connection with her baby. This really relates to the real world because it is an on going problem today. Many children are not receiving the proper care that they need in order to prosper. Maybe if she would have been ready and prepared for her baby, he would not have had to go through the life treating risks that he had encountered.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Child Abuse and Neglect According to Washington Statue ??Abuse or neglect. means sexual abuse, sexual exploitation, or injury of a child by any person under circumstances which cause harm to the child?s health, welfare, or safety. or the negligent treatment or maltreatment of a child by a person responsible for or providing care to the child.. (N/A,2016). The signs of possible child abuse include, but are not limited to, sudden behavior change, untreated medical issues, difficulties in school, lack of adult attention, the child making excuses to stay away from home.... [tags: Child abuse, Neglect, Abuse]
753 words (2.2 pages)
- Child abuse is a worldwide problem that is yet to be fixed. Child abuse or in other words maltreatment comes in all different forms, from emotional, sexual abuse, or neglect. Child maltreatment is a serious problem that can have long lasting harmful effects on its victim’s. More than one third of the country’s population, which is around 440 million children suffer from abuse each year, according to a study on child abuse by Ministry of Women and Children Development. Child abuse and neglect according to childwelfare.gov means “any recent act or failure to act on the part of a parent or caretaker which results in death, serious physical or emotional harm, sexual abuse or exploitation; or an... [tags: Child abuse, Domestic violence, Physical abuse]
1080 words (3.1 pages)
- Child abuse has been here as long as the United States of America and throughout the history of the World. "Child abuse can cause serious harm to its victims. Estimates of the numbers of children who suffer physical abuse or neglect by parents or guardians range from about 1 percent of all children to about 15 percent, and figures are far higher if emotional abuse and neglect are included."(2.... [tags: Child Abuse Domestic Violence]
993 words (2.8 pages)
- Did you know that in 2011, nearly five children died every day in America from child abuse and neglect. In this research paper I will discuss what is child abuse and neglect. Then, we will discover why some parents choose to abuse their children. Next, I will dive into a discussion about the long term effects of child abuse. Finally, we will explore what age groups are affected by abuse. What is child abuse and neglect. According to Child Help, there are different forms of abuse. There is physical abuse which means any non- accidental injury to a child which includes hitting, kicking, slapping, burning, hair pulling, throwing, and whipping.... [tags: Violence Against Children]
1019 words (2.9 pages)
- Child Abuse and Neglect What is the different between child abuse and child neglect. Base on my opinion child abuse is basically when a child is being hit for no reason, verbally abuse and mistreat in a cruelly way. Child neglect on the other hand is when the parent/s or guidance abundant the child and do not provide for them. Child abuse and neglect have a negative impact on children emotionally and psychologically. Children that are being abuse and neglect have very low esteem, because of the mistreatment they receive from other individual.... [tags: negative impact on emotions and phisical health]
701 words (2 pages)
- When thinking about statistics on child abuse, it’s very helpful to know that the idea of “child abuse” is very controversial. Recently, in particular homes and cultures, child abuse has come to be seen as a major social problem and a main cause of many people’s suffering and personal problems. Some believe that we are beginning to face the true prevalence and significance of child abuse. There is more to child abuse than just the physical scars; children are affected socially, mentally, and emotionally.... [tags: Violence Against Children]
1474 words (4.2 pages)
- Many children in the US have to endure child abuse. Most people do not understand the consequences the abused children have to live with for the rest of their lives. Because child abuse is a long-term problem, it impacts not only the child and family, but also the society as a whole. Children who are abused usually end up with self-esteem problems and lose their self-confidence. Therefore, they end up getting addicted to drugs or alcohol, which can create problems for their whole community.... [tags: Violence Against Children]
1523 words (4.4 pages)
- Children all over the United States and California, especially in Orange County, have a sad high rate of child abuse. At this very second a child is being reported of abuse. People don’t realize that this can be happening at a family’s home, neighboring house, or even in the next room. Child abuse is happening everywhere and anywhere at this very moment and we need to realize every aspect of effect and morality it has to child that either do or don’t survive these abusive lifestyles. In the website at www.brightfutures4kids.org there was so many shocking facts, and helpful programs providing to prevent child abuse in families that would like to stop these mishaps.... [tags: california, orange county, maltreatment]
722 words (2.1 pages)
- Have you ever wondered what effects abuse can have on a child. The effects abuse can have on a child is very serious. Children can obtain serious problems from child abuse. They can develop social problems, depression, and anxiety. There are four types of abuse: physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, and neglect. Physical abuse can injure a child severely. Domestic Violence is a worldwide problem and affects the health and well-being of those open to it. Children that are exposed to physical abuse are at risk for depression, social problems, and learning disabilities.... [tags: Violence Against Children]
1115 words (3.2 pages)
- Cults can be bad influences in several different ways. This article is about real facts of why cults make society a much worse place. Cults can result in crimes, torture, and forbidden worship. Cult is a “system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.” (Sopko). There are different cults all across the world. Cults have distinctly different beliefs and devotions. For instance, some cults that are formed to follow a particular real life figure, and other cults are formed to follow (or worship) a spiritual being that might be part of a certain organized religion.... [tags: violence, crime, and forbidden worships]
547 words (1.6 pages)