The Mechanical Image
The theory of an organization as a mechanical image supports the idea that organizations should be managed as specialized, separate parts that contribute to a larger goal within the organization. There are several defining characteristics associated with the mechanical image of organization. A mechanical organization typically has a structure that is characterized as bureaucratic, with a rigid system of hierarchical management. According to Weber (1900??), who was at the forefront of explaining hierarchical organizations, “each lower office is under the control and supervision of a higher one, and there is a right of appeal and of statement of grievances from the lower to the higher” (p. 221). This type of top-down management , often defined in an organizational chart , is utilized at such organizations. The idea behind this type of structure is rooted in the idea that an order from the top of an organization should travel throughout an organization in a very specific way in order to result in a p...
... middle of paper ...
...ertain circumstances, a mechanical mode of organization can provide the basis for effective operation, but in others it can have many unfortunate consequences” (p.13). This is an important point for not only the mechanical image, but also for any other image or approach that one may use to understand an organization. It is also worth noting that the mechanical approach typically works better with stable and predictable organizations while the biological organism approach is more appropriate for use with less stable, unpredictable organizations. With this in mind, I believe that the choice image of organizations as organisms is the best approach to use with organizations due to it’s focus on employee needs, teamwork and the relationship between the organism and its environment.
I believe this to be true, firstly, because of the focus on the needs of the employee.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Managing Organization with Wide Change in Hierarchical Organization What is Change. =============== “It is not the strongest of the species that survive nor the most intelligent but the one most responsive to change” - Charles Darwin In a world of new technologies, transforming economies, fluctuating consumer preference and dynamic competition, it is not a question of whether firms should change but rather when, where and how they should change. While change could be seen everywhere not all is of a strategic nature.... [tags: Papers]
3488 words (10 pages)
- Everyone wants to be something from a doctor to a stylist, I want to be a mechanical engineer. This is something I have always wanted to do in my life, the opportunities that exist in this field can lead to anything. Mechanical engineers are able to do many tasks in the job environment from designing, to developing, and also building. In addition, as new companies are starting up they will need mechanical engineers to help them develop their product. All of the engineering fields have great pay, that is able to support my family and also my parents.... [tags: Engineering, Mechanical engineering]
746 words (2.1 pages)
- Like all engineering jobs, mechanical engineers have a specialized set of skills that are beneficial to them in their work. If one does not possess these characteristics, it does not necessarily mean that they can never be an engineer; rather, this is a sign that mechanical engineering might be a difficult career for them to go into. After all, no one is perfect, and most engineers do not possess all of these skills. That which one does not know, one can learn, as most mechanical engineers do. Furthermore, the perseverance it takes to acquire those skills is already a step in the right direction.... [tags: creativity, critical thinking, education]
781 words (2.2 pages)
- A STUDY OF COLOR, TEXTURE FEATURE OF IMAGE RETRIEVAL IN IMAGE MINING APPLICATIONS Hlaing Htake Khaung Tin Faculty of Information Science University of Computer Studies, Yangon, Myanmar firstname.lastname@example.org Abstract: Image mining is the process of searching and discovering valuable information and knowledge in large volumes of data. Some of the methods used to gather knowledge are, Image Retrieval, Data Mining, Image Processing and Artificial Intelligence. Image retrieval system is used in a wide range of applications such as geography, medical, architecture, advertising, design, military and albums.... [tags: Image processing, Computer graphics]
1060 words (3 pages)
- Leadership has many definitions even though these definitions are merely a change of words (Northouse, 2016). The definition that covers most examples of leadership is the ability to influence your subordinates in such a way that your subordinates follow your orders and see the vision you have for your team (Northouse, 2016). Leaders are not born, however some of the characteristics that allow a follower to lead one day may be inherited (Storsletten, 2015). Leaders are obtained from the environment of the individual, such as when the son of the King eventually takes the throne (Northouse, 2016).... [tags: Leadership, Management]
2175 words (6.2 pages)
- Mechanical engineering is a very broad and diverse job. Mechanical engineers are “thinkers and constructers”. They take ideas and turn them into real life. They “research, design, develop, build, and test mechanical and thermal censors and devices, including tools, engines, and machines”, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Basically, mechanical engineers work with anything that moves. Becoming a mechanical engineer is not very easy; it can take up to 4 years just to receive your bachelor.... [tags: Engineering, Mechanical engineering]
814 words (2.3 pages)
- We always facing many choices in our life we think that is easy to choose but in the real world it is very difficult choose the right decision. Therefore, I have to think what is good to my country and me for a long distance in the future. This is my first assignment in the engineering design material. So choosing the right specialization is very important for each student. In this assignment , I will write about my specialization, and what I am going to do to achieve my aim, and my aim is to be mechanical engineer , I expect after I finish this assignment I will be able to see if this is the right specialization to me or not , and can I create in it or not .... [tags: Engineering, Mechanical engineering]
1477 words (4.2 pages)
- Electro-mechanical Engineering One of the quickest growing types of jobs is engineering. With the world progressing the way it is we need more engineers to come up with new, environmentally friendly products. Our world won’t be able to hold human life as we know it forever so humans need to come up with a more efficient way of living. Taking an issue one part at a time and eventually making our world better, healthier and more pleasant is the goal of this profession. More engineers are needed than ever before because it is getting harder to come up with new and more efficient products that consumers want.... [tags: Engineering, Mechanical engineering]
1284 words (3.7 pages)
- The Characteristic of Traditional and Learning Organization The characteristics of a traditional organization consist of seven dimensions that can also be used in a modern management approaches. The following seven dimensions consist of (1) management perspective; (2) performance horizon; (3) rewards and sanctions; (4) coordination and control; (5) attention sphere; (6) managerial qualities; and (7) view on core resources (Van Alphen, 22 July 2010, p. 2). These characteristic is comprises of traditional management that consist with internal motivation along with rewards that has a very positive effect on performance and a short term effect on negative performance (Van Alphen, 22 July 2010).... [tags: Leadership, Management]
1136 words (3.2 pages)
- Nanoindenter Introduction:- Nanoindenter is basically used for securing the mechanical characteristics or properties at micro or nano-scale with the help of powerful technology known as Nanoindentation which is utilized for securing the parameters of material for example hardness, elastic modulus, viscous or plastic parameters with the help of experimental readings of penetration depth and indenter load. It must be note down that forces, those are involved, are normally in the range of micro newton or mili newton and depth will also be in the range of nanometers.... [tags: micro, nano scale, powerful technology]
1397 words (4 pages)