A baby’s arrival can be very joyful for a first time mother in a way that it brings particular challenges and experiences that could change a life forever. When a baby is born premature it can discomfort the family knowing that they’re child is at risk and even exposed to death. Some of the premature babies come for the first time in the world with a defect that causes agony in the family and especially in the mother. Premature babies are a very important issue in today’s society because it involves the health of a new born. The birth of premature babies can be prevented with the help of families and the community. Therefore people have to take action in raising money for preemies to take advantage of new technology since they have a less chance to survive compared to 9-month baby.
Statistics show the impact that preemies are causing as the rate of preterm birth increases every day. Any part of the world is affected no matter how advanced they are in technology. “One of every eight infants born in the United States is premature babies” (Medline Plus). These statistics are extremely high, however people can change it by getting involved in the community and helping preemies have a less chance to lose in their battle for life. In 2003; 499,008 infants were born prematurely (National Center for Health Statistics). The rates of preterm births have increased over the years. "In 1995: 11.0% of live births were born preterm, In 2006: 12.8% of live births were born preterm"(March of Dimes-Peristats). As the numbers keep increasing, many families are suffering and losing hope for they’re babies. African American women have the highest rate of preterm birth in 2004 with a 17.6% (Reedy, 2007). These statistics demonstrate the high frequenc...
... middle of paper ...
...0 Nov. 2013.
10.) Staff, Mayo Clinic. "Definition." Mayo Clinic. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 29 Dec. 2011. Web. 11 Oct. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Many people are aware of the concept of premature births, but most people do not know all of the details. It is common for people to be ignorant towards why they happen, if and how they can be prevented, possible surgeries the child could have to face, or even long-term health problems. The complications, unfortunately, do not end there. Depending on the severity, the parents and the child could have a long road ahead of them. The parents will have a constant job of monitoring their child’s health and development.... [tags: Childbirth, Pregnancy, Cervix, Preterm birth]
1478 words (4.2 pages)
- In the United States one in eight births are preterm (“Funding for Premature Related Research”).Premature means that the baby is born early, which is any baby born before thirty-seven weeks but health problems are usually only a problem for babies born before thirty-four weeks (“Funding for Premature Related Research”). Premature births are the leading cause for neonatal deaths and half of all premature births have no known causes (Lynch and Dezen). Babies who survive prematurity face multiple health problems including cerebral disease, vision and hearing loss, mental retardation, and lung problems (Lees, Reynolds,andMcCartan).... [tags: Neonatal Deaths, Lack of Research]
1657 words (4.7 pages)
- A premature baby is known as preemies, come into the world earlier than full-term babies. It’s one who is born too early, before 37 weeks. Preterm deliveries are more common in women younger than 19 or older than 40, and those with a previous preterm delivery. A Baby is a very young child ,one newly or recently born , Usually the youngest member of a family. A Pregnancy is the condition of a woman or female animal that is going to have a baby or babies. A Pregnancy usually last 280 days from the time of last menstruation.... [tags: Females, Pregnancies, Risk, Babies, Premature]
1244 words (3.6 pages)
- Premature Birth: The Life of a Premature Baby “Babies born before thirty-seven weeks of gestation are classified of premature”, (Boenker). Premature babies usually are underweight and highly need specialty medical care. “The number of premature births is increasing and occurs in eight to ten percent of all pregnancies in the United States” (“Premature Baby Stats”). Premature births can cause lifetime affects on infants as well as life changing events for their families. Some of the causes of premature births are: Previous premature birth, miscarriage, or multiple abortions.... [tags: premature babies, underweight]
1828 words (5.2 pages)
- ... This incubator is cost effective and could be used in parts of the world where there is limited electricity (VETA Invents Incubator for Premature Children, 2013). Although neonatal care has made great progress and survival rates have gone up, people still think that it is a waste of money, effort, and time to save premature babies. As this topic is linked with both abortion and religion, huge medical and religious debate rages have risen over the past years. Several people who support premature babies were outraged when guidelines were published advising doctors not to resuscitate premature babies who were born 22 weeks before` their actual due date.... [tags: ventilator, infant respiratory]
904 words (2.6 pages)
- Visualize a premature newborn, attached to machines pumping oxygen and medication, simply due to being diagnosed with a debilitating disease known as viral pneumonia. The baby now has to undergo several expensive treatments in order to survive. Many premature babies and their parents undergo these procedures on a day-to-day basis. Viral pneumonia is an inflammation of the lungs due to a harmful virus (Benson 74). There are many catastrophic causes and symptoms of viral pneumonia in premature babies, the disease can be cured with treatment and proper prevention.... [tags: infection, inflamation of the lungs]
1051 words (3 pages)
- A premature baby is born before 36 or 37 weeks of a female 's pregnancy. Premature infants are born too soon and do not have the capacity to survive on their own. Their organs are immature. These newborn children have a tendency to be underweight and needing earnest consideration. Being an premature child can be the essential enemy of all babies. The rate of untimely children have ascended tremendously. Somewhere around 8 and 10 percent of them have been birthed in the United States (“"National Prematurity Awareness Month.”).... [tags: Childbirth, Preterm birth, Cervix]
1610 words (4.6 pages)
- Interview Cook Children NICU receives around one thousand babies per year. Since the new unit was opened two years ago, they have single rooms where the parents can stay with their babies overnight, and it is controlled individually according to the patients’ needs. In the single rooms they are able to accommodate twins, triplets and quadruplets. According to Carolyn Cowling (personal communication, April.18, 2014), who is the LCSW, preemies have shown an incredible improvement in their health and are able to go home faster because they have a quicker recovery.... [tags: parents, babies, stress, anxiety]
1481 words (4.2 pages)
- Babies Having Babies Even though the teen pregnancy and birth rates have dropped by one-third over the past decade, teen pregnancy in the United States is a growing problem. According to data by the National Center for Health Statistics and other official data, one in three girls still become pregnant by the age of twenty (Brown lines 1-3). In the United States one million adolescent girls become pregnant every year causing the U.S. to be the leader of the developed world in teen pregnancy. One in four of these teen girls will have a second baby within twenty four months and in 1997 a survey showed that only one in ten of these unwed mothers, ages fifteen to seventeen, received child suppo... [tags: Teen Pregnancy]
1550 words (4.4 pages)
- Premature Infancy Premature babies, otherwise known as preterm babies, or preemies, are babies that are born earlier than the full-term of thirty-eight to forty-two weeks of pregnancy. These babies are generally born between the twentieth and thirty-eighth week. Almost 250,000 babies, nearly seven percent of newborns, are premature(Golant 4). Prematurity, even with all the advances in technology, is still a major cause of fetal and neonatal death. Actually, around seventy- five percent of perinatal deaths are due to a number of problems associated with prematurity(Freeman 232).... [tags: Babies Birth Early Premature Essays]
1312 words (3.7 pages)