Cell phone use has risen increasingly since the advent of mobile phones. People use their phones on a daily basis for business, work, school, and social lives. As time goes on, more and more people use their mobile phones on a daily basis, and this trend does not seem to be changing in the slightest. While cell phones do have their uses, they can be a dangerous tool when used improperly.
As cell phones become increasingly popular, they can also become a liability. When people use their mobile phones while driving, their vehicles can basically become weapons. Texting (and even talking) while driving can distract the driver and have deadly consequences. It is said that texting while driving is even deadlier than drinking and driving, and causes more wrecks.
Texting and Talking While Driving Laws
There are different laws in Tennessee for cell phone use while driving. These are based on whether it is a call, texting, and what your job position is. There are also different penalties for each. I would like to say that personally, I do not believe these penalties are harsh enough, due to the drastic amount of damages (monetary and personal harm), but I will leave it to you to decide.
For general mobile phone use, or talking on the phone, there is “no prohibition except for drivers with a learner’s permit or intermediate license” (Stim, drivinglaws.org). For drivers with a permit or intermediate license, the penalty is a one-hundred dollar fine and an added ninety days before the can get their next license. For drivers with a normal license, the penalties are lesser, with a simple “fifty dollar fine in addition to court costs, not to exceed ten dollars” (Stim, drivinglaws.org).
... middle of paper ...
...g his school bus. While distracted, his bus crossed the concrete median in the road, and hit another school bus travelling in the opposite direction. The accident killed two students as well as a teachers aide, injured more than a dozen people, and the Davenport died the next morning in the hospital (Grenoble, thehuffingtonpost.com). On another note, this is also the incident which brought into law the strict regulations against bus drivers using mobile devices while driving on the job.
Cell phones have their use in the world. They keep us in contact with friends, family, and work. However, their use should remain out of vehicles. While there are laws prohibiting the use of them, I feel penalties should be much more severe. Nearly every time there is an accident involving a mobile phone, people get hurt and often die, and not only the perpetrator.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- a. The Healthy People 2020 objective which is associated with distracted driving among teens is IVP-13.1 and states, “Reduce motor vehicle crash-related deaths per 100,000 population” (Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion [ODPHP], 2016a). While motor vehicle crash-related deaths include other causes in addition to distracted driving, if there is a reduction in the number of distracted driving deaths, the total number of vehicle crash-related deaths will also likely decrease. The goal is a ten percent reduction in the current number of motor vehicle crash-related deaths by the year 2020 which would bring the total number of deaths to 12.4 (ODPHP, 2016a).... [tags: Mobile phone, Adolescence, Authority, Automobile]
1089 words (3.1 pages)
- ... The law does not prohibit using your cell phone to make a phone call, using GPS or the MP3 functions of your phone. The law is limited to sending and receiving text messages while your car is in motion. If an accident occurs where a driver nearly strikes another person or a car, the individual could face a felony charge of reckless endangerment.Teens are about 10% of the US population but account for 12% of all fatal car crashes. Texting also prevents you from paying close attention to what's going on around you, something that's especially important in situations where you need to have your guard up, like walking home after dark.... [tags: car crashes, teen injuries and teen deaths]
714 words (2 pages)
- A person is sitting on his couch watching television; the show goes to a commercial for the new I-phone. The commercial states the improvements between the new model versus the previous. The person looks at his phone sitting next to him on the table, contemplating whether or not to purchase the newest model. He decides to go to Best Buy to purchase one. As he is driving, his phone starts to ring; not possessing Bluetooth, he gropes for his phone on the passenger seat, causing him to slightly swear on the road, almost hitting another vehicle in the opposing lane.... [tags: vehicular homicides, bans, deaths]
622 words (1.8 pages)
- ... A Genogram is a family diagram used to collect and organize information about the family. As the therapist works with families, he or she should remain free of emotional entanglements in order to avoid feeling stuck. In the use of Relationship Experiments, clients are asked to try new behaviors, as well as, to pay attention to the process that is taking place. The use of coaching and the “I-Position,” can be used cultivate responses, help people take a personal stance, as well as, say how they feel.... [tags: family treatment, drugs, therapy]
1575 words (4.5 pages)
- The use of cellphones has become more popular with every passing year, causing many people to become physically and emotionally attached to their cellphones. American society today is constantly on the phone, from texting, to calling, to surfing the web, to even taking pictures; people seem to never put their phones down. Since the use of cells phones is skyrocketing, it has brought up an issue that the use of these devices while behind the wheel increases accidents (Hahn and Preiger par. 1). People don’t realize how distracting a cellphone can really be.... [tags: Distractions, Car Accidents]
1226 words (3.5 pages)
- Healthy People 2020 Objective: Reducing Coronary Artery Disease Related Deaths History of Healthy People Objective Reducing coronary artery disease (CAD) or coronary heart disease (CHD) related deaths stands as one of Healthy People 2020’s objectives to improve the health of Americans (Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion [ODPHP], 2014b). Healthy People 2020, a program from the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, focuses on targeting health concerns in the United States.... [tags: Health care, Medicine, Public health]
1692 words (4.8 pages)
- Alcohol related incidents are responsible for 3200 deaths annually and 81000 people are hospitalised annually due to excessive alcohol consumption (lifeeducation, 2016). The term ‘binge drinking’ is refers to drinking heavily over a short period of time with the intention of becoming intoxicated. Binge drinking is a serious behaviour that can change lives dramatically. Quite often people don’t think about the danger their behaviour is doing to themselves and others and more often than not they don’t believe that their drinking is an issue.... [tags: Alcoholism, Drinking culture, Beer, Alcohol abuse]
1175 words (3.4 pages)
- Even though uninformed people think that if there were no firearms then there wouldn't be any violent crime, firearms are an essential right of the American people because if guns were taken away the government would totally control us and without firearms we are defenseless. There are those people that think that if there were no firearms then there wouldn't be any violent crimes. In 2011 there were close to 33,000 Americans that were victims of gun-related deaths. According Brady campaign an average of 268 people are shot every day; in America that is 97,820 people a year.... [tags: gun related deaths, firearm control]
1259 words (3.6 pages)
The Epidemic Of The United States Are The Leading Cause Of Accidental Deaths, Beating Out Car Crashes?
- SOUTHERN TIER (WENY) - Drug overdoses in the United States are the leading cause of accidental deaths, beating out car crashes. Specifically, in 2014, nearly 30,000 people died from opioid overdoses, according to teh Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. These alarming statistics have influenced law enforcement to start carrying Narcan, a life-saving drug that reverses the effects of opioids. As reported in the past, this nationwide epidemic of addiction to opiods like pain relievers and heroin is a problem we very much face right here at home.... [tags: Opioid, Morphine, Heroin, Steuben County]
782 words (2.2 pages)
- In this story: 'No chance of rescue' At least 100 cars set afire Pilot reports balance problem RELATED STORIES, SITES From staff and wire reports RANCHO CORDOVA, California (CNN) - The investigation into the fiery crash of an Emery cargo jet that killed all three crew members is focused on a shift in the plane's load shortly after it took off from Sacramento, California. The DC-8 plunged into a nearby auction yard of wrecked cars, leaving a quarter-mile-long trail of burning debris.... [tags: essays research papers]
1088 words (3.1 pages)