A Personal Computer (PC) is a computer that is generally only used by one person at a time. A PC with the help of a user is able to perform all of its output, input, storage, and processing activities by itself. (1)
There are many types of PCs that include Laptops and Desktop. Laptops sometimes called notebooks are a portable type of computer that is designed fit into a person’s lap and comes in many different sizes and capabilities (1). Desktop computers are a non-portable type of computer that’s components sit on or under a desk. On a lot of Desktops the monitor is separate from the tower. The tower holds all of the components necessary to run the computer. Some desktops are all-in-one which means that all of the components need to run the computer and the monitor are not separate from each other. (1)
Laptops vs Desktops
There are pros and cons when deciding whether to get a Laptop or a Desktop.
• They are portable meaning you can take it with you on the go
• Just as powerful as your average desktop
• Wide range of prices
• Battery dies if not plugged in
• Not as customizable as a desktop
• Life spans are shorter
• Easier to customize
• Generally faster
• Better for gaming
• Not portable
When it comes down to it, portability and what you want to use it for are the two biggest contributing factors in deciding whether to get a laptop or a desktop. If you want to use a computer for just the internet or word processing it comes down to portability because if you are just using it for those sort of things then either one is fine. If you wanted a computer for gaming you are better off getting a desktop because d...
... middle of paper ...
The Hard disk drive (HDD) is where all of the data on a computer is stored. The data is stored on spinning metal disks inside of the HDD and is non-volatile meaning when the power is lost everything stored there stays there.
Expansion Slots and Adaptor cards
Expansion slots are places on the motherboard where adaptor cards are plugged into. Adaptor card are cards that enhance the function of a computer and they can provide ports for input and output devices. Some examples of adaptor cards are graphics cards, sound cards, and USB cards.
Input devices are that allow you to input information into a computer. Some examples of an input device is a keyboard, a mouse, and a microphone.
Output devices are devices that convey information to the user of a computer. Some examples of an output device is a monitor, a printer, and headphones.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- 1.0 INTRODUCTION Science and technology constantly evolving and changing. The latest released product will surpassed the earliest. The earliest will only become a history. Therefore, computer scientist are striving to develop and finding the newest and ideal to fulfill the need of users. This assignment aimed to identify the computer components, its function, its importance as well as the latest and the future technologies of the pointing devices, central processing unit (CPU), memory, disk controller, disk, and monitor.... [tags: function, memory, disk, monitor, controller]
2422 words (6.9 pages)
- In a world so focused on technology, computers are continuously advancing our expectations. From starting out as monstrous monitors and modems on a desk to being able to sit nicely on your lap computers have effected just about everybody’s life at one point or another. Computers can be complex machines, but even the smallest of children can comprehend how to use them. Hidden inside these gems are small delicate pieces that to an untrained person can seem to intricate to understand their functions.... [tags: Computer, Computer software]
882 words (2.5 pages)
- Dell Computers MBA605-Information Technology And Society Ida Lyons Instr. Russell Barber Dell Computer’s business model, when viewed with that of a traditional manufacturer was set aside as unbelievable. When Michael Dell thought of making a business like Dell Computer, he focused on making personal computer systems and selling directly to customers. Personal Computer 's Limited could better understand customers ' needs and provide the most effective computing solutions to meet those needs.... [tags: Personal computer, Dell, Computer]
1044 words (3 pages)
- System Units A computer could not run without the system unit. It holds all the memory, transfers all the data, and makes using a computer possible. Not all computers have a system unit that is detached from the computer monitor. Desk top computers have the system unit separate and laptops have a small one built in. The main part of a computer is the system unit; computers could not run without this. There are five main pieces of the system unit: chassis, microprocessor, main memory, bus, and ports.... [tags: computer, microprocessor, memory]
558 words (1.6 pages)
- Today, computers are becoming more essential and demanding than they were ten years ago. No matter where we go, we find all forms of computers. When we think of computers most people are thinking laptops or PDA’s. In this case, I’m thinking of desktop computers. Desktop computers are one of the man types of computers available today. People are overwhelmed of all the types of computers that constantly change as time progresses. From my point of view as a future computer technician, we can classify the types of desktop computers under these three categories, I call them the original desktop tower, the All-in-one desktop, and the gaming desktop.... [tags: information technology]
651 words (1.9 pages)
- Many people assume that computer are difficult to understand and difficult to use; however, the first step is understanding and learning to use the computer. The types of hardware that all computer systems use and the types of software that make them run. Like millions of computer users, microcomputers where used to play games, explore the Internet, write papers, build spreadsheets, or create a professional-looking proposal or flyer. You can perform all these application without understanding exactly what goes on behind your computer case or monitor screen.... [tags: Personal Computers PC]
851 words (2.4 pages)
- CHAPTER 1. INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTERS. -Central processing unit CPU… is the electronic device that interprets and carries out the basic instructions that operate the computer. -Data… is a collection of raw unprocessed figures and symbols computer uses data to create information. -Free ware… is software provided at no cost to a user by an individual or company. -Information…is data that is organized meaningful and useful. -Information appliance…is a computer with limited functionality whose main propose is to connect to the internet from home.... [tags: Software and Worldwide Web]
1492 words (4.3 pages)
- We’ve come a long way from the first successful portable computer. The Osborne, was introduced in 1981 and weighed 25 pounds, it came with 64 kilobits of memory. The Osborne’s limited capacity and portability made it awkward compared to today’s notebooks. And the cost was close to $1800, that’s not to affordable for the 1980’s. Through relentless pursuit of technology, notebooks of today are just a step-down from the desktop PC. The notebooks of today are lightweight, weighing about 7 pounds and just as functional as your home computer.... [tags: essays research papers]
3282 words (9.4 pages)
- Computers: Buy or DIY. As we know, computer is very important in our daily life. We can’t live without computer, since it gives us entertainment, gives us a working place, and gives us a media to communicate to the world. However, not many peoples know how to choose a computer. Many peoples spent a lot to buy a computer but the configuration is like garbage. We can buy a factory built computer from some big company, but the configuration will be not much flexible. We can buy the computer with more selective items.... [tags: Technology Shopping Compare Contrast Essays]
1008 words (2.9 pages)
- Computer Crimes Computer crimes are a major issue in the world today. They are taken place in people’s home, office, and in lots of places. A person should be very cautious about the type of personal information that they enter on there someone else’s computer as well as there own. These things could come back to haunt you in the future. Criminal activity where a computer or network is the source, target, place or tool of a crime is what we call computer crime. Some other terms for computer crime are cybercime, e-crime, hi-tech crime, and electronic crime.... [tags: Security]
1119 words (3.2 pages)
- Self Discipline Outdoes Iq At Predicting Academic Performance
- Agricultural Education And Ffa Strategy Includes Learning
- Comic Fairings For Public Amusement
- Students With Information That Will Help Change Attitudes Towards Refugees And People From Diverse Cultures Through Collaborative Learning
- Juvenile Rehabilitation Center : A Welcome Speech
- My Career As A Physician Assistant