One of the major strengths of Q R National Ltd is its position in rail transportation. Q R National Ltd is the leading rail transporter of coal in the region. The coal, which is transported from the mine to the ports, gives the company financial stability and an advantage over its competitors. The company also commands over one third of the world’s coal exports, making it the strongest in the region. The company’s recently established performance-based culture has seen its profitability go up. Its work force expertise also ensures that it remains at the top of its competitors (Walker 2010).
The company’s management and board consist of experienced and dedicated persons, who ensure that the company moves forward in terms of profits, popularity and productivity. Through dedication and experience, the management team is expected to influence growth and expansion of the company (QR National 2011). The focus and invigoration demonstrated by the executive leadership has ensured that Q R limited remains the leading regional exporter of coal. The company’s track record has assured its shareholders increased investment in the company’s shares. This is because the company has been having a track record of growth from 1960 to the present day (QR National 2011).
One of the weaknesses of this company is its heavy reliance on labor union decisions, meaning the company’s operations would be greatly affected if unfavorable decisions were to be made by the unions. Based on the nature of its activities, the company experiences various difficulties in attracting and retaining experienced employees. This is because most of the company’s workforce is casual, with limited skills and expertise (Q...
... middle of paper ...
Q R National 2011, An iconic Australian business with over 145 years of history, QR National, NSW.
Queensland Bulks Handling 2003, Queensland Bulks Handling, viewed 27 August 2011,
< http://www.qbh.com.au/ >
Queensland Coal Corporation 2010, Queensland Coal Corporation, viewed 27 August 2011, < http://qldcoal.com/ >
South Galilee Coal 2010, Project updates, viewed 27 August 2011,
State of New South Wales 2011, The NSW coal industry, viewed 27 August 2011,
Walker, J 2010, QUEENSLAND has guaranteed it will be hands-off in the management of the country's biggest rail freight hauler, viewed 27 August 2011,
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- 1. Introduction Metro Holdings Ltd is a multi-national company that operates two major business segments, namely Property Development and Investment, and Retail. This report explores the retail arm of Metro, which manages three department stores and four specialty “accessorize” stores in Singapore, and another five department stores in Jakarta and Bandung, Indonesia. 2. Competitive Environment of Metro Ltd The competitive environment of Metro Holdings Ltd would be evaluated based on Michael Porter’s 5 forces Model.... [tags: Business Analysis]
880 words (2.5 pages)
- The Harvard Business School case study Silvio Napoli at Schindler India summarizes the various problems and issues facing Schindler India regarding its entrance into the new foreign market, India. Schindler Holdings Ltd. is a Swiss-based manufacturer of escalators and elevators which is looking for potentially entering into the Indian elevator market. Main executive committee members predicted that the Indian industry showed great promise in terms of future growth potential. The company’s objective was to manufacture standardized elevators at a cost lower than current customized elevator market.... [tags: Marketing, Management, Harvard Business School]
1192 words (3.4 pages)
- Sears Holdings Corporation is an American holding headquartered in Hoffman Estates, IL. is the parental company of retail brands, Sears and Kmart. It was formed after the merging of Kmart Holdings Corporation and Sears, Roebuck and Co. Besides the Sears and Kmart, the Sears Holdings also own the brands Craftman, Kenmore and DieHard. It has 3,472 retail locations under the operating of Sears, Kmart, and other subsidiaries. The businesses of Sears Holdings cover retail, home services, auto centers, pharmacies etc.... [tags: Sears Holdings Corporation, Kmart]
723 words (2.1 pages)
- SWOT Matrix Below SWOT analysis lists some internal strengths and weaknesses and also compares with the external opportunities and threats. The SWOT analysis of Sears Holdings Corporation is as follows: Strengths • Brand equity • Strong retail network • Diverse & multicultural customers • Strong management team • Customer loyalty program • Strong technical infrastructure • Broad product offering Weaknesses • Customer Service • Old look and feel • Domestic markets are saturated • Store popularity • Poorly maintained and staffed stores • Uninspiring merchandise • Low Inventory turnover • Slack quality control Opportunities • Emerging markets • Increase brand awareness • Strong e-commerce b... [tags: Sears Holdings Corporation, Kmart, Retailing]
718 words (2.1 pages)
- Eastfield (UK) Ltd is a small privately owned company based in Essex. They design and manufacture a comprehensive range of architectural and drainage products, Background key information: Eastfield Ltd (Eastfield) requires debt financing and thus a new company validly incorporated called Capital Pty Ltd (Capital) provides finance to Eastfield. After Eastfield encounters an area of business where it is financially unviable for the continuation of the project, the directors decided to close down that business.... [tags: Corporate Law Case Study]
1696 words (4.8 pages)
- The overall aim of this paper is to evaluate ways in which changes within the global economy might impact upon marketing strategies and activities of a business organization of my choice. The company I have chosen to write about is Hutchison Whampoa Limited (HWL), which is a global conglomerate. Firstly, I would give a brief description of Hutchinson Whampoa Limited. Hutchinson Whampoa Limited is a global investment holding company founded in 1977, and is based in China, employing approximately 260,000 people from 52 countries, including approximately 1,100 in the Bahamas.... [tags: case study, business strategy]
3381 words (9.7 pages)
- “What do you want to be when you grow up?” This may be a typical parent-to-child question for many families, but not for mine. Growing up in Thai culture, I have noticed a common role of women in my society. Most of my female family members are housewives and that is what I’m expected to be when I grow up as well. But I had bigger aspirations than that – I wanted to find a profession in which I, as a Thai woman, can gain respect and appreciation of people in my culture just as men can, and also gain a sense of personal fulfillment.... [tags: Thailand, Career, Gender-Based Stereotypes, femini]
1034 words (3 pages)
- Dick Smith Holdings had a good run in the electronics business for more than 45 years but the glory didn’t last forever. The business, name, glory all came crashing down at once due of the costs of the action of Anchorage Capital Partners. So now they say, “If you want to run out of business, simply go to Anchorage Capital Partners”. Dick Smith Holdings was established on 1968 by Dick Smith and was owned and operated by him and his wife. The business started as an initial start-up of installing and maintaining car radios.... [tags: Cash flow, Financial statements, Balance sheet]
1520 words (4.3 pages)
- BCB Holdings formerly BB Holdings Limited is a company incorporated in Belize under the International Business Companies Act of Belize. It is a parent company that solely holds no other business operations or assets other than that of its investments in it subsidiaries of intercompany balances, services to individual, holdings cash and cash equivalents, and corporate customers in the Caribbean region. The Company primarily operates financial services businesses through The Belize Bank Limited "Belize Bank" and the Belize Bank International Limited “Belize Bank International", both located in Belize, and "Belize Bank TCI", located in the Turks and Caicos Islands.... [tags: company, cost, investors]
1088 words (3.1 pages)
- SWOT of Popular Holdings Berhard STRENGHTS The strength for Popular holdings Berhad are the core values of the company. The core values of the company are People, Objectivity, Product, Unity, Leadership, Action, and Reward & Recognition. According to the first core value of Popular , people are their customers, they are their greatest asset. Second core value states that Popular approach their work positively through pro-active participation and open communication. The third core value says that Popular provides their customers quality product at a reasonable price and the fourth value says that Popular respect their people and promote teamwork.... [tags: Business Analysis Strategy Management]
937 words (2.7 pages)