Though many people fail to realize it, chemistry is a subject essential to everyday life, due to the fact that it is the branch of science that deals with the identification of the substances of which matter is composed. But what we must understand is that everything in the universe is composed of matter, hence chemistry is necessary in learning more about the world and universe that we live in. There are many careers and fields affiliated with chemistry that people pursue to learn more about the composition of the universe, but for now, let us examine the logistics of three of these careers. These three careers involving chemistry are geochemistry, environmental chemistry, and chemical engineering.
Firstly, geochemists, according to Prospects, study the amount and distribution of chemical elements in rocks and minerals. Geochemists also study the movement of those elements into soil and water systems. The main purpose of geochemistry is to help guide oil exploration, help improve water quality, and develop plans to clean up toxic waste sites. Many of the typical work activities that geochemists take part in are analyzing the age, nature, and components of rock, soil and other environmental samples, conducting sample tests and checks, including gas chromatography, carbon and isotope data, and viscosity and solvent extraction. Most average geochemists are employed by oil and gas companies, consultant firms, and education institutions.
Becoming a geochemist requires rigorous education and training in a variety of fields. For entry-level positions in geochemistry, a bachelor’s level degree is required in many majors, which take up at least four years of study. Many majors of choice of aspiring geochemists i...
... middle of paper ...
...ree careers make sure that every day activities do not lead to the degradation of the environment. For these reasons, it is clear that chemistry is beneficial to the way of mankind.
"Chemical Engineer: Entry Requirements." | Prospects.ac.uk. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Feb. 2014.
"Environmental Chemist: Education and Career Information." Education-Portal.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Feb. 2014.
"Environmental Chemistry." Environmental Chemistry. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Feb. 2014.
"Geochemist: Salary and Conditions." | Prospects.ac.uk. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Feb. 2014.
"How Much Education Is Required to Be a Geochemist?" Work. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Feb. 2014.
"How to Become an Environmental Chemist - Environmental Chemist Career." Academic Invest. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Feb. 2014.
"Summary." U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, n.d. Web. 03 Feb. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... These are just a few of the stuff we use today in chemistry. So what was society like without all this stuff we have today. Well we could say they weren’t as affective of some of the stuff we have today. For intense they had some of the stuff we have to day but ours is just more advanced now. The more advanced we are the more we will be better off in society with the stuff we have in the future. Natural resources help with chemistry in many ways like materials in chemistry will construct many of the required solutions to some of the most important energy and environmental problems in today's society (Royal Society of Chemistry 2013).... [tags: pure sciences, alchemy]
774 words (2.2 pages)
- Studies, Careers, and Services in Dentistry Dentistry has informational background like other careers. It is a branch of healing and science dedicated to deliver oral health. (Explore Health Career) Being in this career, he or she will be an active health professional recommending opportunities to be successful. They will “Use the latest radiographic, computer-generated imaging, and other specialized diagnostic techniques to identify diseases of the teeth, supporting bone and gingival tissues, and other tissues in the oral cavity and head and neck,” quoted (Explore Health Career) They even “Use the latest radiographic, computer-generated imaging, and other specialized diagnostic techniques t... [tags: dental profession, personal choices]
1663 words (4.8 pages)
- There are a numerous number of occupations in the world such as teachers, doctors, engineers, and journalists. In the world there are over 600 careers available to everyone. Each job requires skills and knowledge in order to complete the facing duties.(Bureau of Labor Statistics) The two specific careers that caught my attention are software designer and physician. Like all other jobs, both jobs require a degree and fundamental knowledge of the subject. Software engineers use their imagination to establish new applications and software to support the users.... [tags: software designer, physician, occupations]
1132 words (3.2 pages)
- There are so many medical careers; it’s really hard to determine what specialty is going to be the greatest fit for different people. Personally, I love working with kids, so I’ve always been interested in pediatrics. Even though I know I want to work I pediatrics, there are still many opportunities out there. I’ve reduced my choices to either a pediatrician or a pediatric nurse. These two occupations have many similarities but just as many differences. The schooling required, credentials, and responsibilities are very different.... [tags: pediatric nurse, pediatrician, pre med]
1269 words (3.6 pages)
- By mixing scientific, economic, and social knowledge, we develop a disciplined art form of an occupation. All of this applied knowledge is needed in order to build devices and mechanical systems to improve the lives of people. A career in the department of engineering consists of practicing the scientific principles in order to meet social and consumer needs. Engineers develop efficient solutions to technical problems. There exist different branches that stem out and create detailed tasks for each component of engineering.... [tags: Careers]
1303 words (3.7 pages)
- I choose to research environmental science for my topic. I’ve always enjoyed nature and sciences and found this career very closely related to those interests. I wanted to find a career that involved interest I already had. There are many different sciences; this one was the one that stood out the most to me. I discovered this career after looking into possible career choices in the Air Force. The aspect of this career interested me, and quickly became a consideration for a future career choice.... [tags: nature, science]
1572 words (4.5 pages)
- Healthcare has many different areas one can go into if interested in this field. I have chosen two that have always been an interest to me; Nursing (particularly registered nursing) and an EMT (Emergency Medical Technician). Both jobs are very demanding and extremely important. Both are respected jobs and require a tremendous amount of caring for others. There are three levels of nursing; certified Nurse Assistant (CNA), Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or a Registered Nurse (RN). A registered nurse is the highest level of nursing.... [tags: Healthcare]
1211 words (3.5 pages)
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy “A teacher can never truly teach unless he is still learning himself. A lamp can never light another lamp unless it continues to burn its own flame. The teacher who has come to the end of his subject, who has no living traffic with his knowledge but merely repeats his lesson to his students, can only load their minds, he cannot quicken them.” … Rabindranath Tagore (Nobel prize in literature in 1913) This is my favorite quotation because it express what, I think, is the essence of teaching and learning.... [tags: Philosophy of Education]
1058 words (3 pages)
- ... The 1950s saw the clinical introduction of the first two specifically antidepressant drugs: iproniazid, a monoamine-Oxidize inhibitor that had been used in the treatment of tuberculosis, and imipramine, the first drug in the tricyclic Antidepressant family. Iproniazid and imipramine made two fundamental contributions to the development of psychiatry: One of a social-health nature, consisting in an authentic change in the psychiatric care of depressive patients; and the other Of a purely pharmacological nature, since these agents have constituted an indispensable research tool for neurobiology And psychopharmacology, permitting, among other things, the postulation of the first aetiopathog... [tags: the history of chemistry, branches]
698 words (2 pages)
- Registered Nurse (RN) “Registered nurses treat patients and help prevent disease, educate patients and the public about various medical conditions and health issues, and provide advice and emotional support to patients’ family members both physically and mentally.”(Registered). It is important for the individual going into this occupation to search out the pros and cons of the different areas of nursing. Sometimes gender plays a part in choosing the specific area of an RN. For instance, the strength of males is needed in areas of physical therapy.... [tags: Careers Jobs]
1300 words (3.7 pages)