Explosive demolition is the method of choice when it comes to taking down larger structures with no collateral damage. Basically, if you remove the support structure of a building at a certain point, the section of the building above that point will fall down on the part of the building below that point. If this upper section is heavy enough, it will collide with the lower part with “sufficient force to cause significant damage” (Harris). There is alot of thinking involved in taking down a building and that is why it is such a long process. “A building implosion is actually one of the most precisely planned, delicately balanced engineering feats you'll ever see” (Harris). Some people may think that demolition engineers are just the people who blow up the buildings, but this is not true. In my opinion, demolition engineers are almost like “reverse architects.” “The demolition engineer has physically worked with, manipulated and pulled apart more buildings than probably most structural engineers will ever design in a lifetime”(Clark).
... middle of paper ...
...job is reflected on a successful demolition. This job is exotic and definitely one of my options in the future.
Clark, Rob. “Role of the Structural Engineer in Demolition.” R W Clarke LTD. Beng Ceng Mice Mistructe, 2009. Web. 16 Jan. 2012.
Harris, Tom. “How Building Implosions Work.” HowStuffWorks. A Discovery Co., 13 Jan. 2012. Web. 13 Jan. 2012.
Institute of Demolition Engineers. Yudu. Cloud Publishing Platform, Jan.-Feb. 2012. Web. 16 Jan. 2012.
MyMajors. “Demolition Engineer Career Information.” MyMajors. N.p., Jan. 2012. Web. 16 Jan. 2012.
Petroski, Henry. Invention by Design. N.p.: Harvard UP, 1996. 188. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Someday in life everyone has to get a job either related to their career or to make their living. Most of the people who get job is related to one’s career. One of the booming career these days in engineering, and among them aerospace engineering is one of the highly paid career and really interesting to work in. In the career of aerospace engineering, engineers usually have to work really hard. In this field, one mostly work on building or designing aircrafts based on the requirement. To be a successful aerospace engineer one needs to gain a lot of education and should be able to work in any environment.... [tags: Aerospace Engineer, Career]
1297 words (3.7 pages)
- In four months I will be done with high school, and the time has come for me to go to college and learn a career. The career that I plan on choosing is a mechanical engineer. A mechanical engineer is a very broad career path with many jobs available. “These jobs can range from someone designing parts for space shuttles, buildings, computers, cars, and various other important mechanical parts that are necessary for today’s society” (bls.gov) . The part of mechanical engineering that I want to go into is the design of automotive engines.... [tags: career, college]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- Did you know there are thousands of jobs for a mechanical engineer, and the career will be unhurt by the struggling of the economy. There are many tasks a mechanical engineer is faced with on a daily basis. A mechanical engineer must have several qualities to make the work enjoyable for themselves and others. A mechanical engineer must be well qualified in their education to receive a job, as it is a broad industry. With having a job or career as a mechanical engineer you rarely have to worry if your job is going to exist the next day, or if your pay is going to get cut; a mechanical engineer is needed everywhere.... [tags: Career Research, Career Plan]
2114 words (6 pages)
- My chosen career is Software Engineer. Software Engineers create moderately complex software in C, C++, C#, Java, assembly language, or other selected languages for Garmin products and/or applications consistently following Garmin’s coding standards and in accordance with applicable software development methodology and release processes. These software execute design for small sets of new functionality for a project. A typical workday for a software engineer is usually improving on projects you’ve been working on and try to make them better and easier for people to us.... [tags: Software engineering, Computer, Software engineer]
1156 words (3.3 pages)
- Career Research With hundreds, maybe even thousands of careers that I could choose from, only a few of them seemed like something I would actually work as. But finally, after limiting my choices, I obtained three careers, that I would be more than delighted to research about. My first one would have to be the electrical engineer. The way they work always intrigued me, with their fancy electronics, and the sounds of the things they invented, it’s no surprise my attentions been on it for a while now.... [tags: Engineering, Electrical engineering, Robotics]
1305 words (3.7 pages)
- Dropping everything he’s doing Joe quickly runs to the fire poll and proceeds to exits the building, sirens soaring over head, and fire truck engines starting up, he rushes to slip on his gear, he feels good about himself knowing he’s a hero, he holds his helmet under his right arm, and jumps on the bright shiny red fire truck, he taps the sparkling smooth metal twice, and they pull out of the fire station, as they arrive at the house, he spots the bright red and orange fire, instantly everything slows down, and his heart speeds up, other than the thrill and overall well-being of this career.... [tags: Career Research ]
1665 words (4.8 pages)
- It seems that every era from ancient times to modern times has engineers playing a strong role in the development of society; they build many structures that identify that culture and time period. Engineers create something out of an idea; they fill a need and fulfill a dream such as a skyscraper that no one thought would ever be possible. “Scientists investigate that which already is; engineers create that which has never been” (Albert Einstein). Civil engineering is the professional engineering discipline that deals with the design, and construction, and built something like rods, bridge, dam and building.... [tags: Civil engineering, Engineering, Engineer]
1293 words (3.7 pages)
- Being a Software Engineer is more than just programming. It’s a chance to help other people through the power of technology. Having this as a job gives engineers the power to influence other peoples life through programs that could help them with day to day tasks. Software Engineering is an expanding occupation, which means that more and more jobs are opening up for this position everyday. Also, one of the perks of this job is how much money you make. Software Engineering is a good job because, the market is expanding for it, it pays well, and this job can help other people.... [tags: Software Engineering]
1093 words (3.1 pages)
- ... The types of therapies most commonly used by clinical psychologists are cognitive, family, group, and hypnotherapy; each type of therapy aims to identify and understand the cause for a patient’s problems and lends a helping hand in the treatment process. In order to take that next step and become a clinical psychologist, post graduate work must be completed. Before postgraduate work can be started, the student must receive a bachelor’s in psychology and fulfill the requirements listed for the psychology program they wish to enter.... [tags: career choices and opportunities]
890 words (2.5 pages)
- The Career of Engineering Take a look around yourself. What do you see. Maybe books, chairs, a television, or even your clothes. All the day to day things that are man-made, you can be sure that an engineer helped make it. Engineers have shaped our world as we know it. There are many different kinds of engineers from chemical, mechanical, textile, civil, agricultural and structural engineers. Our civilization would be as advanced as the Stone Age without these people. This career demands a wide education of math and science.... [tags: Descriptive Careers Engineer Essays]
1653 words (4.7 pages)