Sports management dates back to the beginning of sports but it was not really organized. In the 1960’s, a man by the name of Dr. James G. Mason started academic programs that allow people to partake in sports management. After 1966, when Dr. Mason and a few of his colleagues launched a master’s degree at Ohio University for sport management, universities all over the world have followed in their footsteps by incorporating a sports management degree for students to pursue for an electrifying and demanding career field (Parks, Quarterman, and Thibault 6). The reason athletes seem to be so financially stable is there agent or manager. They negotiate the contracts for the athlete or they supervise the finances of the entire team (Professional Sport). Sports agents are everywhere. Anytime you see an athlete on television making some kind of public appearance, whether it is during a press conference or just out on the town, usually the agent is somewhere close by consulting with the athlete about what he or she can or cannot purchase. Sports agents work out product endorsement fees while also offering personal and legal advice to their clients (Sports Management).
For sports management professionals who monitor the financial aspects of s...
... middle of paper ...
"Sports Business Degrees | How To Start A Sports Management Career On All Business Schools." All Business Schools - Business Degrees, Online MBA Degree Programs, Business School Career Guide. Web. 12 Dec. 2009.
"Sports Management Professional Job Description, Career as a Sports Management Professional, Salary, Employment - Definition and Nature of the Work, Education and Training Requirements, Getting the Job." Job Descriptions and Careers, Career and Job Opportunities, Career Search, and Career Choices and Profiles. Web. 23 Nov. 2009.
Watt, David C. Sports management and administration. London: Routledge, 2003. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Choosing a career is one of the most important decisions a person will make in their life. Most people try to pick the career with the best financial gain and something they would like to do for the rest of their life. Foremost it is wise to see what the job entails. Sport Management is perfect for those who enjoy helping and working with people, especially when dealing with sports. The next part of the decision-making process is looking through the various schooling and training required.... [tags: Career Research ]
2624 words (7.5 pages)
- ... Following Career Path Most individuals that play these fantasy sports tend to know a lot about the game and when it is smart to trade players and when it is okay to buy new players. There is a big difference between males and females of the online gambling sports fantasy games; where males have a total of 66% playing and females have a total of 34% playing (FSTA, n.d). Out of those individuals a lot of college students of approximately 57% have been active on these websites playing the sports (FSTA, n.d).... [tags: Game, Play, Player, Fantasy sports]
1394 words (4 pages)
Professional Sports Industry: Examining the Popularity of NFL Franchise Indianapolis Colts, as Well as Other Sports Franchises
- Professional sports comprise of an enormous and complex industry. Subdivided into their respective sports and leagues, individual franchises act as independent businesses. The collective goal of these businesses is to provide a product that consumers will seek to purchase. In the case of a football team, for example, the Indianapolis Colts represent a business, and football is the product that they sell. Not all football, however, is so eagerly consumed. The Arena Football League recently disbanded after 21 years of selling its brand of football.... [tags: sports]
1293 words (3.7 pages)
- In the career field, there are many careers and jobs to enjoy such as being a sales manager. As a sales manager, you will be expected to be a leader; however, a sales manager will also set a sales goal for the year, train and hire new members of his or her sales team, and will mark sales territories to certain salesman as to where they will sell their product. Most sales managers are expected to work long hours, late evenings, and weekends. Many sales managers’ annual wages are $98,530, but what a sales manager makes, depends on where he or she works.... [tags: Career Essays]
916 words (2.6 pages)
- ... I have achieved a large range of wins and good results both in rowing and judo. In rowing I am a 6 time Irish medallist, 2 of these being wins, both of which were national records. I was in the crew which currently holds the record for the highest ever Irish result at the London Schools Head which draws crews from all around the world. I am also under 16 Ulster champion in the men’s 8’s and have represented my province 4 times, 3 of which were converted to wins. I also have in the region of 40 other medals from various races from all over Ireland.... [tags: rowing, competive, stronger]
522 words (1.5 pages)
- Sports Management Someone once said, “There are those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened.” I consider myself one of those rare people who really knows how to “make things happen.” I have gone from being a follower to being a leader, from being someone who was shy and uncertain to a person who is self-confident and assertive. It has been a remarkable metamorphosis, and it has changed my future professional plans and personal goals. The awakening of my independence happened during the end of my softball season my freshman year in college when my head coach had cut my scholarship because of lack of funding.... [tags: essays research papers]
818 words (2.3 pages)
- Doctors can pursue many career paths, including private practice, university-hospital work, or a job with a health maintenance organization. The first lets the physician be his own boss. The second offers him the opportunity to divide his work between treatment, research and instruction, in varying proportions. The third means he work for a large corporation, which provides him with patients and handles most of the administrative and business tasks that physicians in private practice have to handle on their own.... [tags: Your Career as a Doctor]
931 words (2.7 pages)
- Cheating in Sports Sports are governed by sets of rules or customs and often, competition. Sports have always been a way to connect us to our past and to build optimism about the future. Sport’s a way to bond the people despite differences in race, age and gender. However, today the game that is supposed to teach character, discipline and team work is teaching cheating. And in today’s world, with fame, endorsement, drugs and so much to gain, it is not surprising that athletes are cheating in sports.... [tags: Sports Athletics]
1409 words (4 pages)
- Sports Injuries In this paper you will understand how in the different sport you can have different injury’s relating to the different sports. Like in basketball you will see more knee and ankle injuries. I will show how doing different things wrong will cause you to get hurt. You have different types of injuries for the different sports. I feel you can take the right measures to make sure you have a safe sport career by taking the right steps to keeping yourself safe. This is some of the things you could do to help.... [tags: Sports Medicine]
1362 words (3.9 pages)
- From 2001 2002 there was a 23% increase in the construction of sports stadiums and arenas with costs of those facilities upwards of $7.8 billion. The growing global sport industry requires that sport facility and event management keep current of new and proven management techniques. Sport Facility Management: Organizing Events and Mitigating Risks by Ammon, Jr., Southall, and Blair, provides readers with a basic introduction to elements of facility management for the full range of sporting and entertainment events.... [tags: Business Management Analysis]
711 words (2 pages)