Diesel mechanics fix and maintain every part associated with the diesel engine. There are many different branches of diesel technology which can include construction and farm equipment, over the road trucks, light duty pickups and stationary engines to name a few. A mechanic must be familiar with major brands of engines like Cummins and Cat. They can perform simple tasks of swapping out a bad component to completely overhauling an engine. The median pay for mechanics is “$42,320 per year or $20.35 per hour (United States).” When overtime hours are reached mechanics receive one and a half times pay for work performed. Negative parts of the job are the amount of overtime hours, the dirtiness of the work, and the cost of tools. Positive parts of the job are overtime pay, hands on, and traveling for work. The job outlook for growth in the diesel field “is projected to grow 9 percent from 2012 to 2022, about as fast as the average for all occupations (United States).” The field of diesel mechanics is still growing today and will continue for a...
... middle of paper ...
...iece of advice was “don’t wait too long to get a job in the field, it changes every day and it is very easy to get behind with the advances in technology (Walden).” Overall Brad had some very good information and helpful advice.
After researching the details of a diesel mechanic I have found that I would really enjoy working on diesel engines. I have a fascination and passion for working on and around diesels. I really enjoy working on my diesel pickup and I have rebuilt my own personal diesel engine. I enjoy working on all aspects of diesels so I think it would be the perfect job.
Rocky Mountain Cummins. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Mar. 2014.
United States. "Diesel Mechanic." Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2013-14 Edition. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Dept. of Labor. Web. 15 March 2014.
Walden, Brad. Personal interview. 10 March 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I am doing diesel mechanics the reason I am doing diesel mechanics is because My dad is a mechanic with his own business. I want to take over my dads business when I get older and can handle the responsibility To be a diesel or regular mechanic. The reason I really need to take over the business is Because i am the oldest in my family and I will have to support them. The history of the diesel truck engines began why back in the late 19th century. The inventor of diesel engineering is Rudolf diesel although he was the inventor he a almost died from creating the diesel engine.... [tags: rudolf diesel, fuel, career, gender]
532 words (1.5 pages)
- In today’s society the automotive engineering is people who are needed in the economy. They assist people who have problems on their cars, and don’t know anything about building an engine or fixing one. The bad thing about becoming a mechanical engineer is the class that you have to take to get your degree. You would have to take high level courses t complete your program, classes like calculus. There are pros to becoming a mechanic as well, like being able to enter mostly any career of your choice.... [tags: career, cars, engines]
1089 words (3.1 pages)
- I have only ever worked at two jobs and the time spent at both was nothing alike. Both jobs, though, have taught and gave me experience for how a workplace can be. I doubt I’ll ever have to deal with jobs like those two past employments, because as they differed from each other greatly, they were also not common jobs that someone would think of. My time working as a diesel mechanic and at a Halloween attraction event differed in the type of co-worker I dealt with, the workplace experience I gained, and the work schedule that I followed.... [tags: Employment, Time, The Work]
1665 words (4.8 pages)
- Have you ever wondered how you would get around without your car. Rudolf Diesel created the perfect thing, a Diesel engine. Now with the invention of an engine, we can get wherever we need to go. Rudolf diesel’s life and invention has impacted the world greatly. Rudolf’s Life Rudolf Diesel came into the world in Paris, France, on March 18, 1858, and lived between there and in Germany throughout his life. Rudolf grew up with an older sister Louis, that was born in 1856, as well as a younger sister, Emma, born in 1859.... [tags: Internal combustion engine, Diesel engine]
1548 words (4.4 pages)
- I can remember coming to school and hearing all my classmates talk about how much they hated going to the dentist. Going to the dentist was one thing that I have always loved to do. The sound of the tools and just the smell of the clinic was never a bad atmosphere to me, I actually enjoy the dentist. Laura was my first dental hygienist from as far back as I can remember, and she had the whitest teeth I have ever seen. I have honestly came to the conclusion that I am obsessed with teeth. With this being said, I have always felt and known that I wanted to be a dental hygienist.... [tags: Career Field Report]
1583 words (4.5 pages)
- With new diesel technology in today’s world, I think people should consider trying or using new diesel cars and trucks as well as the use of clean diesel. The diesel we use today is much “cleaner” than previous types. Clean diesel is a type of diesel fuel that is often referred to as ULSD. This acronym stands for Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. This type of fuel is a more refined fuel than previous standard types of diesel. Although it is not the same as biodiesel, many people do not actually know the difference between “biodiesel” and “clean diesel”.... [tags: Internal combustion engine, Diesel engine]
1679 words (4.8 pages)
- The two most common types of engines used in the manufacturing process of vehicles have been diesel and gasoline engines. The primary difference between gasoline and diesel engine is in the ignition process and the type of fuel that is used. Some pros and cons of these engines include an advantage of a diesel engine that has a higher engine efficiency, making it better for the economy. Today with most vehicles that have gasoline engines, the engines use a process called the Otto cycle which uses spark plugs to ignite the fuel and air mixture inside the cylinders which ultimately gives you its working power.... [tags: Internal combustion engine, Diesel engine]
2130 words (6.1 pages)
- Like most colleges, nursing had a problem with allowing African Americans to go through the same education as a white student. There were all black programs that only allowed African Americans to participate in it. Only until the mid-twentieth century was segregation of nursing programs to be abolished. When World War I started there was a great need for special skilled nurses. (American Academy of Nursing's Expert Panel pg. American Nursing: An Introduction to the Past) About 23,000 nurses served in the military for the war.... [tags: montana, career field, skilled nurses]
1251 words (3.6 pages)
- Are you experiencing little annoying problems with your vehicle that you know you can fix, but just don’t know how. If that’s the case, then there are many videos that you can use to help you with your vehicle. YouTube is a great site to use if you need to see a how to video about almost anything. In this case, we’re talking automobiles. There are many professional mechanics and regular people When it comes to purchasing that brand-new vehicle of yours, we all know that eventually it’s going to need some maintenance.... [tags: Automobile, Vehicle, Mechanic, Brake]
750 words (2.1 pages)
- Diesel Emissions The new diesel emissions controls being put into place by the EPA control non road diesel fuel, and truck and bus emissions. This includes all farm equipment and other large pieces of diesel equipment. Non road diesel fuel is not taxed and it is also dyed red. It is also refined a lot less and has serious consequences on the environment.... [tags: Fuel Pollution Diesel]
1397 words (4 pages)
- Gender Inequality According to Functionalist and Marxist Feminist Perspective
- Human Sacrifice: Satisfying And Surviving The Gods
- Indian Encounters:The Turks, The Mongols, and Islam
- The Reduction of Business Costs Across the Eurozone
- The Origins of Political Order by Francis Fukuyama
- Chiang Kai Shek's Life and Accomplishments