Choosing a career or even a new career after being in career for many years can be a daunting task. Knowing what you want to do for the next 5-7 years, or beyond can be challenging as what is good now will most certainly change in the future. This paper will discuss the results of an online job search, building a resume, and preparing for a job interview.
The job search started with looking at the job board link provided by the CSU-Global Career Center page. By simply querying on “financial analyst healthcare” multiple jobs were returned. The criterion for the search was further updated to include within 10 mile distance, full-time job type, and experience of senior level. Once the search was refined, the final result was 35 jobs. After reviewing those 35 jobs, many were excluded as they were geared more toward a technical business analyst career rather than finance but four job postings appear to be a good fit and were documented in a similar fashion to the job search log example provided with this assignment.
For the second job search, the link provided by CSU-Global Career Center for Career Builder was used. Unfortunately, that site returned no jobs for when using the same criteria noted above. However, if the distance was increased to 30 miles six job postings were returned along with notice of an upcoming job fair. Regrettably, none of the six returned offered a good match to my qualifications and interest.
The third and final search used the link provided by CSU-Global Career Center for Monster. Again the same initial criterion was used and Monster returned 24 jobs. Many of the jobs returned did not fit meet the requirement of a financial analyst as they...
... middle of paper ...
... being able to ask specific questions is important for the interviewer to get a good understand of the person being interviewed. It’s important to understand that the person interviewed is looking for a good fit as is the person doing the interview.
The process of finding a career is certainly not an easy one. From the job search, building a resume, and completing an interview the process can be long and drawn out. The experience is not the same for any two individuals so it is something that takes time and practice. Just three years ago the process was very frightening. After being in one industry for 18 years, switching to another was not easy and two years into the switch there are still challenges; however, with the information gained from the job search, resume builder, and interview process in this module, next time will be a lot easier.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Career Development Assignment Choosing a career or even a new career after being in career for many years can be a daunting task. Knowing what you want to do for the next 5-7 years, or beyond can be challenging as what is good now will most certainly change in the future. This paper will discuss the results of an online job search, building a resume, and preparing for a job interview. Job Search The job search started with looking at the job board link provided by the CSU-Global Career Center page.... [tags: Employment, Recruitment, Interview]
839 words (2.4 pages)
- The career services professional supports the educational mission of a college by assisting students to develop, evaluate, and pursue career aspirations with the goal of securing employment. Career services professionals accomplish these goals with a range of programs, counseling and services designed to help students make the connection between the academic environment and the workplace. Career Counseling, or Career Services depending on the institution, is frequently offered on a one-on-one basis, but at times this service is provided through group workshops, classes, or computerized guidance systems.... [tags: Career Goals]
1568 words (4.5 pages)
- In most instances, the journey to a successful career can start with an effective career development agenda. The commitment to set career goals and a plan to fulfilling them will usually lead to getting the desired job that may significantly contribute to a person 's happiness and financial security. Career development can make individuals aware of the available opportunities and how they can best achieve their career goals. It may also be a chance for identifying trends in the desired industry and if necessary take steps to sharpen their current skills through some form of training so as to get the wish for job.... [tags: Employment, Recruitment, Human resources]
701 words (2 pages)
- How does Rayman’s ten imperatives compare to my experience in college. This is a very good question. I will discuss each imperative and how I felt my undergraduate career development experience was addressed with each imperative. Imperative 1 – The acknowledgement of life long career development and the initiative taken to help students take ownership of their career destiny. The undergraduate institution I attended was really lacking in this area. There was an emphasis on job search and preparation.... [tags: education, career development]
1001 words (2.9 pages)
- Fake Resume Used for Employment Application. As the adage goes, “desperate times call for desperate measures”. Every student look forward to going something beneficial with their lives after they get out of college. Some get the opportunity to further their education and others tend to work for a while before continuing education or maybe stay in the profession field. During junior and final year, most colleges hold career symposium to allow their students learn a lot about the world outside the four corners of school especially students who are looking forward to work after graduation.... [tags: Employment, Recruitment]
1277 words (3.6 pages)
- Career Development Assignment In order to excel in today’s neck-to-neck competitive working environment, it is very important that one adapts to a more active approach instead of a passive approach when it comes to career development. Additionally, with the growing social networking sites such as LinkedIn or the increasing popularity of job search websites such as Indeed.com, Monster.com, and Simplyhired.com, has led to a greater need to be more proactive in terms of career enhancement. Unlike old days when jobs were more secured and provided less fluidity of moving literally in their designated departments, these days workers face a more dynamic working environment.... [tags: Employment, Recruitment, Résumé]
1718 words (4.9 pages)
- The Necessity for Career Management in the 21st Century. Many people determine "what they want to be when they grow up" just as soon as they are able to talk, but the truth is, by the time they graduate high school, they change your mind at least five times. When a person first enter high school, their teachers and guidance counselors should explain what classes need to be taken in order to enter college. By the time one reaches their senior year, their career path(s) and a career outline that supports the path should be determined.... [tags: Essays Papers]
1497 words (4.3 pages)
- I completed a career discovery for three different type of jobs that I’m interested in based off my goals. I started off by searching in (glassdoor.com), it has a variety of jobs that you could apply for and gives you details and people’s review’s about the career choice you need and want. Certified nursing assistant would be the beginning of my career and for me to follow into that path of the healthcare industry. Next would be focusing only in my afternoon (GED) classes so I can obtain my diploma and start off on my career path into college.... [tags: Nursing, Certified Nursing Assistant]
833 words (2.4 pages)
- The Many Career Opportunities For Recipients Of Degrees In Mathematics I have chosen to do Possibility 7. It states that once a person decides to study mathematics they are limited to the possible fields of work that is available to them. According to this statement the only possible jobs are teaching jobs at the school, college, and university levels. It also talks about how this can be dull to some and how a person can't become a millionaire this way. I am in total opposition of this statement.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Papers]
1049 words (3 pages)
- Computer-Based Career Information Systems The adage "information is power" can certainly be applied to the marriage of career information with computers. In an era that is characterized by a rapidly changing employment and occupational outlook, the ability to access computerized career information has been empowering to both youth and adults (Bloch 1989; Tice and Gill 1991). Defined as "all that people need to know to make choices and take action . . . in relation to their paid or unpaid occupational activities and in relation to their preparation for these activities" (Bloch 1989, p.... [tags: Technology Internet Essays]
1769 words (5.1 pages)