Becoming a social worker would be the greatest and rewarding achievement I could ever accomplish. The social work profession facilitates social change and development, social cohesion, and the empowerment and liberation of people. (Australian Association of Social Workers, 2016, para. 2).The area I’m interested to work in is Child Abuse and young people with disability because of personal experience. One of my major inspiration through her quote is (Mother Teresa 2001) “If you can 't feed a hundred people, then feed just one". I connect with this quote because I know I can never change the whole world but I can make a different in one-person life. After I completed year 12 of high school education I wasn’t sure is social work was for me. I decided to do a diploma of community service to get more idea of what social work do. Studying a diploma of community motivated me more to pursue a career as a social worker. This essay will reflect on my past experience and the things motivated me the most to become social work practitioner. This reflection will discuss the values, beliefs as social worker.
They are four different type of child abuse, physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse and neglect. According to Department of community, child safety and disability service (2010-2016). Children who experience child abuse can have a significant affect such as depression and low self- esteem. “Trauma is one of the biggest effect on child who is part of child abuse and this also affect their brain development” (McCrory, De Brito, & Viding, 2010; Streeck-Fischer & van der Kolk, 2000). Also things like aggressive behaviour and self-harming can occur later on. As a social worker practitioner I would like to work in child protection or co...
... middle of paper ...
...plicated for others” (Chenoweth & McAuliffe, 2015, p. 10). This reflect on why I would like to work with child protection and disability. Personal experience have humbled me and have shaped my values and believes towards children and disability. Some of the skills I need to work in child protection and disability is patient, empathetic, active listening, verbal communication and self-awareness.
In conclusion am looking forward to work with child abuse and young people with disability. However whatever direction I may choose to take as professional social worker it will bring great joy. My main motivation for becoming a social worker is my personal experience, values and personal attributes. Another amazing quotes from nelson Mandela is “It always seems impossible until it 's done”. Therefore it might seem impossible for me now but I will eventually get there.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Journal enter 1 I strongly considered a career in social work after completing my undergrad school; my yearning for helping and advocating for all children of the world led me to Barry University. With increased knowledge in the profession of social work, I realized, I have been absent minded in the numerous roles that a social worker plays. As advocators, counselors, mediators, and researchers, social workers uphold principles and core values written within the National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics.... [tags: Sociology, Social justice, Social work, Poverty]
1048 words (3 pages)
- Not many people can handle the stress of being a social worker, but in the end it is very rewarding. This job is not an everyday job for some people, it is a lot of hard work and it is helping people with situations that a person doesn’t see everyday. As a social worker it takes a lot to get through to people and for them to understand that what they are going through is not okay. Social working is the fastest growing career according to the U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics (Social Work Profession).... [tags: social issues, domestic violence]
1238 words (3.5 pages)
- A social worker has a very important job. Social workers help children and families in need of food, homes, and health care. They help children have a brighter future. There are many different types of social work. There are mental health, child and family, elementary, and high school social workers. There are advantages to being a social worker. One example is social workers get to save children. They take the child or children out of an abusive home, weather that is mental abuse, or physical abuse.... [tags: social issues, children, foster care]
1044 words (3 pages)
- ... To make better money in a career people can also get their Phd which can take five-ten years, which needs a bachelors degree as well. The length it will take in order to get these degrees can also depend on the college you are attending. Schools around the area that I would be willing to attend for social work would be SJVC which is located in Visalia Ca, CSU Bakersfield, and Fresno State. Other choices that would require me to move out of the area would be California State University Long Beach, San Francisco State University, and California State University San Bernardino.... [tags: education, families and children]
532 words (1.5 pages)
- If someone likes helping people, caring for people, and likes making life changing decisions what should they be when you grow up. When families get into fights,when inebriate,flagrant parents abuse their children, when teenagers are choosing colleges, when families are looking for another member to add to their family, when people are giving up their babies for adoption who comes into play. Who helps people make important life decisions on college scholarships. Who helps put people’s babies up for adoption; nevertheless, help them adopt a baby.... [tags: adoption, caring for people, families]
915 words (2.6 pages)
- Critical Thinking Assignment There are times in my future professional career as a social worker; I will experience personal values or ethics conflicts with clients. Being able to realize my own personal ethics or values, understanding difficulties that may arise as I work with the client, and situations that would cause me to question being able to be objective and professional in working with the client, will help me later on in my profession. One situation that may arise in my future professional career that would lead to me experiencing personal ethics or values conflicts would be working with an HIV+ male who admits to not having “safe sex” because he doesn’t like the way condoms feel.... [tags: AIDS, Sexual intercourse, HIV]
1048 words (3 pages)
- Career Plans The grass blows in the cool breeze, but a chill is in the air, winter is coming. I stop and look around; the pristine white gates surround a lush green pasture still unaffected by the cold. Inside young foals dance to the winds music, playfully kicking and biting at each other, daring the other to a race. I turn toward the silhouette in the distance and spot bright eyes and pricked ears. A whinny reaches my ears and then another responds, it is breakfast time and the horses let me know it.... [tags: client, setting,e vents, aspects]
1444 words (4.1 pages)
- The purpose of this memo is to recommend that the course PA380 “Introduction to Public Administration” should remain mandatory as a degree requirement for the students in the Bachelor of Arts in Social Work (BASW) major. This memo will also discuss the knowledge and skills that can be acquired from the PA380 and how these skills will apply to my future career as a child welfare social worker. In recent years, a need to address organizational performance and accountability has risen in both the public and private sectors of child welfare social work.... [tags: Social work, Sociology, Social justice]
722 words (2.1 pages)
- I chose to go into social work because the profession is not only my dream career, but my passion as well. The ability to call myself a social worker is not just my job title, but part of my identity. I have always wanted to make an impact on our world and be a leader in my generation, and social work is where my personal skill set and strengths will be best put to use. As the last 4 years in my undergraduate studies have rolled along, I have developed my unique, personal traits alongside brilliant minds belonging to the future social workers of America.... [tags: Sociology, Social work, Social change]
1675 words (4.8 pages)
- Within the past week, I was able to meet a patient that had been through a very difficult life. He was admitted into the hospital almost one month ago because he had a stroke. He was a carnival worker and was only planning to be in Lexington for a temporary amount of time until the carnival left. When he was admitted into Saint Joseph Hospital, there were no indications that he had family and/or friends that should be contacted. At first, he was unable to talk, and his mobility was extremely limited.... [tags: career, medical social workers, ]
592 words (1.7 pages)