“Earth is losing mammal species 20 to 100 times the rate of the past. Extinctions are happening so fast, they could rival the event that killed the dinosaurs in as little as 250 years,” says sarah Kaplan of the Washington Post. Scientists are in agreement, we are teetering on the sixth mass extinction and humans are the cause of this round. Due to the destruction of forests, pollution of the ocean and freshwater sources alike, over hunting, over fishing, and mass amounts of CO2 produced by the human population we are destroying the earth that sustains us.
The reality is if we keep at the current pace we are going to ultimately destroy ourselves. Changes are slowly happening to counteract this damage, however. People have taken an interest in solar and wind power as a means to reduce pollution. Conservation efforts have brought back some endangered species from the brink of extinction. Some of the most well-known creatures that have successfully rebounded thanks to the Endangered Species Act. Humans have successfully saved the Bald Eagle, Grizzly Bear, and Gray Wolf from their demise. Despite the current tools and success stories scientists concluded we are borrowing from the future generations, and we’re losing more and more species unnecessarily with every passing day. What other options do we have?
While continuing to develop responsible environmental living and conservation techniques, there’s another tool humans can utilize, cloning technology. Before deciding what is best for the future, it is important to understand how we got to where we are today. According to the award winning senior journalist of Scientific American, “Since 1500 we have killed off at least 322 types of animals, including the ...
... middle of paper ...
...achieved with, for example, ungulates would remove that particular argument.”
With a solid push from the scientific community we could see vast improvements in the success rate of cloning and population increases. With the proper regulations and laws put in place to protect plants, animals, and people in regards to cloning, there’s no doubt it can be both successful and beneficial. Humans can use all available tools together to reverse the negative impact of pollution, disease, and poaching. There is no silver bullet to solving this world crisis and halting the sixth known mass extinction to our planet. Cloning has the power to assist in this optimistic endeavor and give us the boost we need to take control of the chaos we have caused. Humans have the intelligence to foresee the impending disaster and the solution is right at our fingertips all we have to do is try.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “How to Fix the Foreclosure Crisis” The foreclosure rates have been outrageously increasing over the past four or so years. Each of us has been pondering the question of “How to solve the foreclosure crisis?” This tragedy has been soaring around us for many months and quite frankly a good portion of us have no clue how to even begin to fix the problem. We must first identify what wrongdoings we have done in our past to see what state we are in now. Once we have identified what caused this swirl of a mess, we can then teach ourselves how to fix our problems.... [tags: Economics]
1155 words (3.3 pages)
- Simple Fix: Yes or No The solution to serious problems can be extremely simple. In SuperFreakonomics, the authors, Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner, present the idea that while simple fixes can solve complicated problems, they can also lead to some unintended consequences. Although analyzing all aspects of a problem before coming up with a solution is the preferred method, there are some exceptions where simple fixes are more effective because of time management. People tend to overthink the solution to serious problems or disasters.... [tags: Freakonomics, Steven Levitt, Problem solving]
736 words (2.1 pages)
- As foreclosure becomes a major problem in America people are looking for a way to save their homes without completely losing everything. Owning a home with a white picket fence is the American dream but in recent years it has become more of a nightmare. One way to fix the foreclosure problem would be to use social security as way to help pay for the debt they have accrued. Social security is set up to help Americans when they retire and also to help them in troubling situations such as, insurance for disability, veterans insurance, food stamps, unemployment insurance, and other forms of welfare.... [tags: Economics]
933 words (2.7 pages)
- Mr. Fix-it is a 59 year old man with a history of alcohol abuse and diabetic hypertension. Mr. Fix-it has been currently experiencing symptoms such as: rambling speech, poor short-term memory, weakness on the left side of his body, neglects both visual and auditory stimuli to his left side, difficulty with rapid visual scanning, difficulty with complex visual, perceptual and constructional tasks, unable to recall nonverbal materials, and mild articulatory problems. The diagnosis for Mr. Fix-it’s problem is most likely a right-hemisphere stroke.... [tags: Medical Research ]
861 words (2.5 pages)
- What was once a surgery performed primarily to restore, is now used to enhance a person’s face and body. Cosmetic surgery, which is said to have been “used more than 4,000 years ago to treat facial injuries” (Fresh Faces) is now considered a common activity among any kind of person. This surgery first gained popularity in the 1910’s after World War I, among soldiers with shattered war faces in need of repair. Later, it became a popular trend among women, who were mostly from high-class society, and then in the 1990’s the industry expanded to include men, and even more recently has been including teenagers as young as the age of 15.... [tags: Cosmetic Surgery Essays]
1253 words (3.6 pages)
- Investment appraisal techniques 1. Introduction As defined by Cistelecan, L. (2002) investment is an “expenditure made now in order to obtain a successful future, making gains in the future”. Investment is an essential vital issue for companies, because it can ensure the growth and the development of the companies, and without it companies can’t survive in the competitive markets. (Katalininc, B. 2009) There are two types of investment as stated by Virlics, A. (2013). These types are fix investment and monetary investments.... [tags: investor, expectation, ddp]
2229 words (6.4 pages)
- AAAAAHHH I think going to die of a heart attack. Anxiety is the biggest problem in my life. Even though I spend a lot of time worried and stressed for no reason at all. It makes me seem as if I am going crazy because others notice that I have a problem, and it feels as if I am having a heart attack. I spend entirely too much time being worried and stressed for nothing; I seem to just have to find things to worry about. For instance I just got a new boss, for two weeks the rumor mill at work has churned out rumors and statements that had created a large amount of anxiety.... [tags: Personal Health]
914 words (2.6 pages)
- Can a Dress Code Fix It Dress codes regulate what can be worn in certain places, such as schools and facilities. These codes are controversial where ever they are enforced. People tend to think that the government does not have the power to tell them they cannot wear certain articles of clothing and the fact that some schools do it can throw people into a fit. Some people believe that dress codes stifle personal expression, that a dress code is the same thing as a uniform. Many people do not remember that individualism goes beyond clothes, and that a dress code will help kids to be more than the clothes they have or do not have.... [tags: Fashion]
1587 words (4.5 pages)
- How to Fix a Window As we know, windows break all the time. Whether it's the kids playing baseball, a party gone wild, or simply a strong wind in the night, it seems that there's always at least one piece of glass around the house that needs repair. If it's a newer, double-paned insulated type, it may be best to have a professional replace it. If it's an older, wooden framed one, though, there's an excellent chance that you can replace it yourself. Working with large pieces of glass can be dangerous.... [tags: Papers]
474 words (1.4 pages)
- Chemicals That Fix the Brain The discovery of how the brain heals itself began, as discoveries often do, with a question: Why do children who suffer brain damage often recover fully, while adults with the same kind of damage are permanently incapacitated. University of Wisconsin neurobiologist Ronald Kalil was among those who pursued the question (15). His studies in young cats showed that entire networks of brain cells could be routed around damaged areas. Young animals whose primary vision centers were destroyed could still learn to see normally, he found, because cells in another part of their brains took up the job of processing vision.... [tags: Biology Essays Research Papers]
1624 words (4.6 pages)