The video games in question are not the hours-on-end kind of games, because too much of anything is bad; even with broccoli or water, an extreme amount of either of those can be toxic. It is believed that 91 percent of American households play video games. However, 83 percent of parents set a time limit on the games for their children. (Van Camp)
There have been participants who had played Super Mario 64 for 30 minutes a day for two months and have shown increases in the prefrontal cortex, the frontal lobes of the brain that are linked to personality expression, decision making, and social behavior, compared to those who have not played. (Guarini)
Video games, action in particular, can help make decisions faster and increase attention to details. Games such as Call of Duty or Battlefield require quick-thinking to avoid being killed. Games like this require players to aim and shoot accurately and quickly on the screen while they are also constantly scouting for other enemies. (Spector)
Action games could also improve the vision of people who don’t usually play video games. People who play action video games, like the ones mentioned above, are able to distinguish contrast in colors more easily. (Spector) A group of non-gamers were asked to play Call of Duty for a certain amount of time. At the end of the gaming session, the human visual system had improved and the benefits lasted for at least five months fo...
... middle of paper ...
...e limits for yourselves and don’t overdo it
Guarini, Drew. "9 Ways Video Games Can Actually Be Good For You." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 07 Nov. 2013. Web. 16 Mar. 2014.
Villines, Zawn. "Find the Right Therapist." GoodTherapyorg Therapy Blog Five Surprising Benefits of Video Games Comments. N.p., 27 Jan. 2013. Web. 18 Mar. 2014.
Klein, Sarah, and Copyright Health Magazine 2011. "Study: Too Many Video Games May Sap Attention Span." CNN. Cable News Network, 05 July 2010. Web. 19 Mar. 2014.
Oskin, Becky. "Teens and Video Games: How Much Is Too Much?" LiveScience.com. LiveScience, n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2014.
Fleming, Nic. "Why Video Games May Be Good for You." BBC Future. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Mar. 2014.
Spector, Dina. "11 Ways Video Games Make You Smarter And Healthier." Business Insider. Business Insider, Inc, 11 Sept. 2013. Web. 24 Mar. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Imagine that you are sitting peacefully in your living room, reading a book or maybe drinking some coffee in front of a crackling fire. Calm, isn’t it. Now imagine there is a loud BANG, followed by gunshots and screaming and yelling and explosions. What could be making all of this racket. Some kids playing video games. Video games have become extremely popular over the years as technology has advanced. However, with this rise in popularity also comes a growing concern in parents how the games may be affecting their children.... [tags: video games, violence, super mario]
1519 words (4.3 pages)
- In today’s day and age and with the advancement of technology, video games have become one of the most popular cultural hobbies enjoyed by users worldwide. However, the increase use of video games has generated a controversy regarding its psychological harm on children. Many people have assumed there is a correlation between video games and violent behaviour by youth. As a result, countless studies have been conducted to test whether the hypothesis that video games negatively alter the attitudes and behaviours of players is a theory or myth.... [tags: Video game, Video game controversy]
1927 words (5.5 pages)
- In 1972, the famous video game Pong was released and quickly became the first popular arcade game. A simple game based on ping-pong with archaic graphic design and controls. Thirty-nine years later we have gone from Pong to elaborate Hollywood style games that are based around narrative like Call of Duty or Metal Gear Solid. Video games have come from simply being games to becoming what some argue is a new medium for narrative that can tell a story uniquely and completely unlike film and literature.... [tags: Video Games]
1426 words (4.1 pages)
- Did you know that Pong; the first game made by Atari, wasn’t originally meant to be released to the public. A new Atari employee was given the assignment of making it simply as a test of his game design skills. Since Pong became a hit, video games have been a large part of the entertainment business. They have found their way into homes all over the world. “You can’t say that video games grew out of pinball, but you can assume that video games wouldn’t have happened without it. It’s like bicycles and cars.... [tags: Video Games]
2092 words (6 pages)
- It seems like everything coming out about video games is bad. A student tried to kill his fellow classmates, and he was an avid Call of Duty player. A study has been released that proves that playing video games will turn you into a criminal. The many benefits of games and gaming, such as their possible applications to education and their ability to tell more complex stories than other forms of media, are almost universally ignored. I know better, though. Between the lifetime I’ve spent playing and loving video games, and the articles I’ve found, I can tell you that video games do not cause violent behavior or thoughts.... [tags: Video Games]
1107 words (3.2 pages)
- Jaryd “summit1g” Lazar is a 28 year old millionaire who made his money playing video games. He spent most of his childhood years playing video games like most of us but has always wanted to do it for a living. When we think about gaming as a career we see video game designers and programmers; however, Lazar gets to play games for a living. A typical day consists of many hours of live video game content and having conference calls with corporate sponsors in the video game industry. Lazar now calls himself a professional video game streamer.... [tags: Video game, Video game industry, Game designer]
1279 words (3.7 pages)
- Video Games Effect On Society The U.S. population consumes violence media voraciously. Youths between the ages of 8 and 18 spend more than 40 hours per week using some type of media, not counting school or homework assignments (Rideout et al.). Television is the most common source of violent media, but electronic video games are rapidly growing in popularity. Numerous studies have shown that video games, especially ones with violent content, make teens more aggressive. Part of the increase in aggressive behavior is linked to the amount of time children are allowed to play video games.... [tags: video games, teens, entertaintment]
1495 words (4.3 pages)
- Violent video games have been around for quite some time from Pac-man to Space Invaders. Throughout the years, these video games have improved along with technology. With new and improved technology there’s better sound and better graphics on this violent video games. However, they seem to be a problem in our century. Violent Video games tend to affect behavior in those who play them. Behavior is affected in such as communication, maladaptive, and aggressiveness. Communication is a flow of verbal and nonverbal details.... [tags: Video game, Aggression, Video game controversy]
1724 words (4.9 pages)
- Ask yourself these questions and you may be surprised to find that if not you then someone you know or know of is addicted or may have the potential to be addicted to video games. Do you have a sense of well-being or euphoria while playing. When you are not gaming are you constantly thinking about the games. Do you find yourself neglecting other aspects of your life such as relationships, hygiene, sleep, Studies, and food in order to play video games. Do you lie or denied the amount of time you spent devoted to playing video games in order to protect your source of pleasure.... [tags: coping, reality, pleasure]
581 words (1.7 pages)
- Violence and Sexuality in Video Games Unlike popular belief, the first violent video game was not Mortal Kombat. The killing started with a game called Death Race 2000 released in 1976 by Exidy Software. It was based on a B movie by the same title and features the main theme of the movie in the game: to run people over. You control the car to run over people, and the people you have killed become a cross. Needless to say, the game was quick to draw attentions towards it. The criticism from Americans all over the nation eventually got the game pulled off the market.... [tags: Video Games]
3088 words (8.8 pages)