Essentially, old generations did not have any kind of technology nor Internet, yet they lived and survived. Thoreau wrote a piece of work that expressed the idea that living simply is the essence of pleasure, he then says, “Our life is frittered away by detail. An honest man has hardly need to count more than his ten fingers, or in extreme cases he may add his ten toes, and lump the rest. Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity!” (Thoreau 161). People make things complex nowadays, and so they are losing the pleasure of life by overly depending on the Internet in such a way that any problem...
... middle of paper ...
...nt, “They’re simulacra of my friends, little dehydrated packets of images and information, no more my friends that a set of baseball cards in the New York Mets” (Deresiewicz 373).
Ultimately, considering the reliance on the Internet, it is causing big problems that people are not aware of. It is slowly affecting the pleasure of life, mental development, and relationships with others. People spend a long time on the Internet in such a way that they always depend on it. Books, people, and enjoying nature have been abandoned because of the Internet. Deresiewicz says, “We have given our hearts to machines, and now we are turning to machines” (Deresiewicz 373), and people should spend their lives as Thoreau describes: “Let us spend one day as deliberately as Nature, and not thrown off the track by every nutshell and mosquito’s wing that falls on the rails.” (Thoreau 164)
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Can you imagine a world without diversity. Languages are one of the most diverse aspects of cultures. Whether they identify people of different countries or town, the language and dialect tell a lot about a person. French is one of these diverse languages that is spoken by millions of people around the world. Learning French not only has the obvious advantage of being able to speak to people from France, its significance reaches beyond France. Learning French has impacted my life because it will help me if I ever need to travel and there is a high possibility with my major; being able to speak French will look good on my resume and give me a better chance of getting a job.... [tags: Language, Language education, Language school]
979 words (2.8 pages)
- Rough Draft Body imagine and self-esteem are very important to someone’s mental health. After years of being told I was overweight and unhealthy, I finally got motivated to lose weight after the girl I loved rejected me and ultimately learned to love myself again. It took a long time to really understand that the way I was living was unhealthy and should matter to me. For it to really resonate with me I had to be forced to change if I wanted more out of life. Now I look back and think it was the best thing that could have ever happened to me for countless reasons.... [tags: Nutrition, Health, Psychology, Thought]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- "I hope some day you will join us, and the world will live as one" Simplicity combines with deep meaning when John Lennon expresses his thoughts in his song "Imagine." This song was a huge hit in the 70’s, the time in which the Vietnam War was occurring. John Lennon’s “Imagine”, was a protest song that questions the morality of war, shows anti-war statements and emphasizes the importance of world peace. In America, every civilian has the Freedom of Speech. For this, artists have every right to compose a protest song.... [tags: Music, The Beatles, Lyrics, Deep Meaning]
1407 words (4 pages)
- Reparations A highly debated topic in today’s political conversation is reparations. Many would argue that African Americans deserve reparations because their ancestors were kidnapped from their homes and were forced to work for years, in most cases until death. Others may claim that reparations have already been paid, even though they were not monetary. Lastly, there is the group that believes that reparations for slavery are not a good idea for anyone. In today’s society, is it a good idea to give African Americans reparations and make the line of racial division more apparent.... [tags: Black people, Race, Slavery, African American]
1358 words (3.9 pages)
- Education is the most significant goal for anyone in the world to achieve. It helps people to gain knowledge and to enlarge their perspective views in taking action in daily life. So Parents ought to recognize the value of education, see it as a priceless gift, and endear their children in learning since childhood-as its the most important stage in kid 's life. Actually, there is no restrictions nor limitations on education; every now and then, technology takes place and ease the learning ways for all ages, as everyone should learn and it continues until death.... [tags: Education, High school, School, Teacher]
1070 words (3.1 pages)
- Hello. Can anyone hear me. All I can think and say is “hello… Hello… Hello. “ I feel like I’m screaming inside, and out. I missed you didn’t you miss me. I am finally standing right in front of you, myself vulnerable but you’re not even attempting to talk to me, and I want a moment just you and I I feel alone but... [tags: Family, Mother, Father, English-language films]
1677 words (4.8 pages)
- Think about your life without technology; no cellphones, no computers, and no Internet. Life without technology is not a convenient life. Without technology we would not have the access to the world we have today because it provides us with better communication, medicine, and safety. Many people would disagree with this and argue that technology can affect our communication skills and that texting and driving causes many deaths. However, the positive outcomes that technology provides us with, outweighs the minor negative issues that can be easily avoided.... [tags: Security, Security guard, Communication]
1216 words (3.5 pages)
- Calling Names, Taking the Blame A highly debated topic in today’s political conversation is reparations. Many would argue that African Americans deserve reparations because their ancestors were kidnapped from their homes and were forced to work for years, in most cases until death. Others may claim that reparations have already been paid, even though they were not monetary. Lastly, there is the group that believes that reparations for slavery are not a good idea for anyone. In today’s society, is it a good idea to give African Americans reparations and make the line of racial division more apparent.... [tags: Black people, Race, Slavery, African American]
1358 words (3.9 pages)
- Is it possible to have a world where prison does not exist. No prison means either the world have no criminal or every criminal would face the same penalty for every crime they committed. So it is impossible to have a world without prison because of many reasons such as: there is impossible to have a world without criminal; without prison, every criminal would get charge the same penalty for different crime they committed, which is either they are free to go, or get charge the maximum penalty; also no prison means no place to separate the criminal from society, which is harmful for people.... [tags: Prison, Crime, Capital punishment]
1343 words (3.8 pages)
- For the moment, imagine if all paths to the good life are secluded in different vaults. If that is the case, it would mean there are keys to unlock them. A skeleton key may be used to unlock numerous locks, but it cannot account for all vaults since like humans, the mechanisms easily vary. Likewise, the key to leading a good life all depends on how the person is, and what frame of mind he chooses to follow through with. Whether it is a life of acceptance, or to always fulfill desires, it should be in the generalized direction he believes in.... [tags: Happiness, Meaning of life, Human, Emotion]
1339 words (3.8 pages)