Definition of Calorie
According to Ayoob( 2009), a calorie can be defined as a unit of heat energy that human body use as energy to produce heat. This energy fuels human body for strength in daily activity. In scientific term, there are two types of calories which small calorie and large calorie (Nordqvist, 2013).
A small calorie(symbol:cal) - 1cal is the amount of energy to required to raise one gram of water by one degree Celcius.
A large calorie(symbol:Cal,kcal) – 1Cal is the amount of energy required to raise one kilogram of water by one degree Celcius.
1 large calorie(1kcal) = 1000 small calories.
Calories can be found in fat, carbohydrate and protein. The main source of calorie comes from daily food intake. Too much calorie intake can lead to weight gain and too less calorie intake lead to weight loss. Therefore, in order to maintain body weight, consume calorie as only as much as body needed. (Jensen, 2001) . The body breaks down food molecules to release the energy stored within them. This energy is needed for vital functions like movement, thought, and growth -- anything that requires the use of energy. The body stores energy it does not need in the form of fat cells for future use.
Calorie Burning Factors
There are several factors that affect the calorie burning during walking phase which are grade of the walking surface, your weight, height, age, distance walking, step length, and speed. (Travis, 2013)
Elevation of surface – More calories are burned as the incline surface of the walking surface increase and less calories are burned as the decline of walking surface increase.
Weight – A bigger body weight exerts more effort and expends more energy running the...
... middle of paper ...
...determine how many calories you should be eating to maintain or lose weight. Retrieved 3 24, 2014, from www.coachme2health.com : http://www.schools.utah.gov/cte/documents/facs/conference/S12/FN_Jensen_CalculatingCalories.pdf
Kawahara, N. (n.d.). Monitoring Daily Energy Expenditure using a 3-Axis Accelerometer with a Low-Power Microprocessor.
Nordqvist, C. (2013, August 11). Medical News Today. Retrieved March 24, 2014, from What Are Calories? What Is A Calorie?: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/263028.php
Owusu, E. (2009). ACCessory: Password Inference using.
Taylor, L. L. (2009). Basal Metabolic Rate . Retrieved from ShapeFit: http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html
Travis, C. ( 2013, July 22). Factors Affecting the Calories You Burn when Running. Retrieved from http://voices.yahoo.com/factors-affecting-calories-burn-running-12236202.html
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- While I believe that foods of this nature are acceptable to eat once in a while, one 's diet should not consist of these foods on a regular basis due to obvious health risks as mentioned earlier. By the same token that a healthy and balanced diet is absolutely essential to a healthy food lifestyle, maintaining a healthy exercise routine is just as important. It is known that exercise benefits every part of the body, including the mind, and it can help a person to feel more peaceful, happy, promote better sleep, and can even alleviate mild forms of depression or low self-esteem.... [tags: Nutrition, Health, Obesity, Food]
1068 words (3.1 pages)
- The world today is consumer based. People in communities are looking for more accessible routes to get the products they desire. The study done in this project was to observe students in the university and how they consumed products that the university provides them. I also wanted to observe the relationship between the consumption and student health. In college towns, most people know that it’s always an active city. This statement is true in Oxford, Mississippi. Students are always trying to get something done.... [tags: Nutrition, Health, Food, Eating]
821 words (2.3 pages)
- Tips for Healthy Holiday Eating As the holiday season approaches, numerous parties keep on popping everywhere and making plans to enjoy these parties became our priority. This is the season wherein every table is piled high with calorie-laden temptations and it’s up to us to manage indulging in a healthy way. Maintaining a food diary can help in monitoring your daily consumption. It allows you to adjust your food intake and focus on exercise if needed. Studies show that the average American gains 1 to 2 pounds during the holiday, and these can turn into a permanent baggage if left unmanaged.... [tags: shop, plan, exercise, gum, meal, buffet]
610 words (1.7 pages)
- Healthy Eating Plan Comparison Jamese has not been tracking her diet as much because she has so many other things to do. She will be graduating soon so that is her main focus plus she just does not have as much time right now. She has been taking vitamins, which is why she has been hungrier than usual. She also still wants to gain weight, but she is not eating enough to gain weight. She is just eating enough to maintain her weight. In order to gain weight, she has to eat more calories. Her diet compared to the recommendations was good for her height, age, and weight.... [tags: Nutrition, Fat, Food, Essential nutrient]
1416 words (4 pages)
- Wellness Plan I would recommend a lot of changes for this patient, including exercise, change of diet, and cessation of his smoking habit, to name a few. This patient should use a lumbar support pillow in his chair at work, as well as a foot support, to alleviate strain on his lower back form sitting all day. I would recommend that he quit smoking and change his diet to one containing less fatty foods, and much less cholesterol. The pain he feels in his neck could be partially attributed to high cholesterol.... [tags: Papers]
331 words (0.9 pages)
- Evaluation of a Weight Loss Program Weight loss strategies that help an individual loss weight successful are often are interesting systems. The Jenny Craig program has been in the market for over 30 years. According to the article The Jenny Craig Weight Loss Program, and Krans (2016), the program has been certified and accredited by the Practicing Dietitians in Australia and Registered Dietitians in the United States. The Jenny Craig Weight Loss System is one weight loss program that is simple and easy to implement.... [tags: Nutrition, Obesity, Physical exercise, Health]
960 words (2.7 pages)
- Introduction Food Journey Analysis Daily nourishment is vital part to living a healthy life. In order for the daily consumption of foods to be effective they must be well balanced and in the right proportions. In addition to everyday nutritional needs, daily exercise is as equally important. Exercise and nutrition work together by the process of supply and demand. Nutrition supply's the body with the energy it needs in order for the body to continue working at at optimal level. Failure to maintain the proper balance between nutrients consumed and exercise expelled could result in weakness and even disease.... [tags: nutrition, health, exercise, diet]
1282 words (3.7 pages)
- I am going to be using a diet plan using the FDA, Food and Drug Administration, which is based off of a 2,000 calorie diet. I chose the FDA because I have never followed a diet plan before. I honestly have not felt the need to. However, after actually writing down everything I eat, maybe I should start following a diet plan. I do not eat like I should be at all. Day 1 through day 4 I was sick, so everything I was eating was not staying down. So I do not have all the food I usually eat. I eat a lot actually.... [tags: 2000 calorie nutrition plan]
1227 words (3.5 pages)
- Exercise Plan Every single person on earth is not similar in any way, whether it be their size, age, height, or gender, humans are all made up to be different from each other. All of these factors are things that make us all unique, they also help us determine how to take care of ourselves. Believe it or not we all need to exercise in order to stay healthy and maintain a good body so we can live an ordinary life. Sadly, humans are not immune to every single thing we come in contact with, we all get sick at some point whether it be something small or big.... [tags: Physical exercise, Exercise, Weight training]
911 words (2.6 pages)
- The Atkins Diet: Low-Carb Mania Dr. Robert Atkins ignited the dieting world when he introduced the word “low carb mania,” which is now known as the Atkins diet. The diet claims that you can lose weight on a high fat, high protein diet. The program works on four main principles which are to limit the amount of consumption of simple carbohydrates, increase the intake of protein, to exercise on a daily basis, and to maintain proper food consumption. The new diet revolution has stirred up a controversial debate on whether the higher fat, lower carb diet is healthy in the long run for diet consumers.... [tags: Health Nutrition Diet Exercise Essays]
441 words (1.3 pages)