... middle of paper ...
...tatistics, governments, and the way people spoke in everyday life. It would be a significant change for America, the largest since Hawaii joined the United States in 1959.
Overall the Six Californias proposition is an interesting idea to think about and ponder and it is very real, there are people with petitions standing outside of colleges and grocery stores trying to get signatures so that the split will be on the ballot in 2018. People crave change and excitement and this would make history. However after examining the facts, it is not beneficial to Californians or the state, but instead it benefits the affluent in the state. One has to wonder if Tim Draper is really doing this for the good of the people or if he is only thinking about his goal of living in the richest state in the United States and having the glory of having been the one to kill the golden bear.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Hmong people, an Asian ethnic group from the mountainous regions of China, Vietnam and Laos, greatly value their culture and traditions. The film “The Split Horn: Life of a Hmong Shaman in America” documents the seventeen year journey of the Hmong Shaman, Paja Thao and his family from the mountains of Laos to the heartland of America. This film shows the struggle of Paja Thao to maintain their 5000 year-old shamanic traditions as his children embrace the American culture. Moreover, the film shows that one of the major problems refugees like Paja Thao and his family face upon their arrival to the United States is conflict with the American medical system.... [tags: Illness, Health care, Medicine, Mental health]
1911 words (5.5 pages)
- Looking back at the number of homicides in the city of San Jose, CA for the year 2000 it was 20, then there was an average increase of 8 murders per year for the next 8 years. Then in 2010, despite a population increase of over one hundred thousand people, there were only 20 murders in the city of San Jose. Now in 2011, up to the month of July, there have been 26 homicides, which means based upon the current rate San Jose is on track to have more than 50 homicides in 2011, which would theoretically be over a two decade maximum.... [tags: Crime ]
1570 words (4.5 pages)
- ... The California department of public health website allows each reader to follow the latest news and information about the variety of opportunities provided to help spread healthy actions. It includes information about different organizations such as the center for chronic disease and health promotion, environmental health, and health care quality. This allows the viewers and readers access information about the health of our community here in California. The general mission of California’s health department is to achieve health equity through the health programs, respond to health threats, improving the department with strong and skilled workers, and achieving the public health accredit... [tags: Public health, Health, Health care, United States]
726 words (2.1 pages)
- Is California’s Proposition 19, “The Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act of 2010,” reefer madness or reefer rationality. In recent years, many states across the nation have passed medical marijuana laws. California however, is preparing to take an even more progressive stance towards the substance and pass a bill that would outright legalize marijuana for recreational use. Proposition 19 would’ve make it lawful for any individual over the age of 21 to possess up to an ounce of cannabis, in a similar manner to alcohol.... [tags: argumentative essay]
2199 words (6.3 pages)
- ... It is a problem with roots going a long way back, and we do not always face these problems as we should.” In other words, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt realized that Mexicans have been discriminated against and only knew is was time for a protest, she was just worried because America doesn 't always face problems like race as they should. I thought this was a wonderful quote by the First lady because it shows how much a young generation of Chicanos can do with what behind the meaning of the Zoot Suits.... [tags: United States, California, Los Angeles]
1552 words (4.4 pages)
- In the last several years, California has been experiencing a very serious drought, of which is said to be the worst drought since record keeping has begun. This drought has sparked a lot of conflict between different groups in need of water and now politics are trying to organize where all the water should go. The water that California gets each year is split up into between three main areas: human needs, agriculture, and supporting the environment. The environment usually gets the least amount of water out of three because the main concern is supporting human right to water and providing food for people.... [tags: California, Water, Drought, Human Needs]
1446 words (4.1 pages)
- This is a community assessment for a small area of San José. San José is a large city, the tenth largest in the United States and the third largest in the state of California, (US Census, 2012). The community selected for this community assessment is located in South San Jose, California. The Census Tract representing this area is 5120.53. The boundary lines for this area are Blossom Hill Rd., Allen Ave., Foothill Dr. and Cahalan Ave. Guadalupe Freeway (CA 87), California State Route 85, and US route 101 are ways to easily access this area by car.... [tags: san jose, communitity work, census tract]
1997 words (5.7 pages)
- Nowadays, it is widely known that the right and left hemisphere have different functions. The two hemispheres are equally important in a daily life basis. Nevertheless, in the 1960’s this was not common knowledge. Even though today the importance of the brain hemispheres is common knowledge, people don’t usually know to whom attribute this findings. One of the people who contributed to form a more defined picture about the brain hemispheres and their respective functions was Roger Wolcott Sperry, with the split brain research.... [tags: hemisphere, split, brain, Chemoaffinity hypothesis]
1874 words (5.4 pages)
- “I love you. I can love you like nobody else could. If I can’t have you, nobody can have you” What starts as a loving relationship can soon develop into an abusive one. Although the symptoms may seem small it’s important to be aware of them. October is Domestic Violence awareness month where it’s important to spread the word about domestic violence is and what can somebody do to help. “Pay attention to what they say and their body language. Many simple signs can be over looked.” Says Dr. CarolAnne Peterson, who teaches a class on domestic violence at the University of Southern California of Social Work.... [tags: Abuse, Child abuse, Bullying, Psychological abuse]
1085 words (3.1 pages)
- ... In 2013, President Obama stated during a debate over health care that the Affordable Care Act “would not go to immigrants who are living in the United States illegally” (Medina). Moreover, another issue the proposal faces is that is must be approved by the Treasury and the Health and Human Services Departments. Advocates of the proposal state that the only way the proposal will be passed is if it was approved under an “innovation waiver,” which allows states to have provisions of a federal law modified.... [tags: United States, U.S. state, California]
814 words (2.3 pages)