Physically, California is a beautiful place with lots of space. Downtown Los Angeles was not like the typical downtowns in cities like Chicago, New York, or even Atlanta, but it was more spacious and “clean”. I didn’t see a lot public transportation around like the ones that frequently amass typical cities with high population rates, which means less traffic and noise. California, for many of us, is like the Promised Land to the Israelites, a place of complete bliss and delight and peace. While I was there, I found myself at peace and when I returned to Chicago, O’Hare airport, I felt as though my peace was disrupted, disrupted by loud horns honking at pedestrians and big busses taking up massive amounts of space. I found myself agitated and annoyed while wishing that I were back in California, where I was able to saver my peace. Strangely, I didn’t bring back eventful memories f...
... middle of paper ...
...areas and the economically deprived ghettos. These events are essential in order to understand how the US is quickly following in California’s wake while being a model for other nations. The residents who believed that they had arrived into their Promised Land quickly came to the realization that they were in hell because natural disasters started taking place, natural disasters like earthquakes, fires, and floods constantly plagued California and all other sorts of devastating tragedies like pollution, poverty, riots, tax limitations, spending limits, bans on affinitive action, harsh laws, and denying services to illegal immigrants. On the surface California seems to be a great place with endless opportunities but underneath it’s one of the biggest disappointments ever, and if we are following a state like California we will then become a disappointment as well.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Biggest Small Town in Northern California Ukiah California, two and half hours north of San Francisco, can be missed while driving up the 101 and day dreaming for five minutes. This is where I consider my home town to be, though I lived in 4 other California cities before settling in Ukiah around the age of seven. Ukiah, or haiku backwards, was a very strong middle class city with four element schools, one middle school and high school. My parents were right in the middle of the blue-collar working class of this city; my dad (not father) is a retired postman and my mom (definitely not mother), worked at a bank until my dad retired.... [tags: Middle class, Social class, High school]
1336 words (3.8 pages)
- There is a cancer plaguing the land, and it is slaughtering the very fabric of every relationship in its path. Abuse comes in a myriad of forms, and its aftermath has a negative impact that is unceasing. One may ask what is abuse, or what does an abuser look like. Particularly, this cancerous condition is not discriminatory against any social class; hence, an abuser can be of any race or gender. Although, it comes various forms, the most prevalent ones found in relationships are verbal, emotional, and physical abuse.... [tags: Bullying, Abuse, Psychological abuse, Verbal abuse]
895 words (2.6 pages)
- Lost in a haze of confusion and disappointment. At the age of eight I realize that life isn’t always as simple as I thought it would be. By the age of eight I have lost my father due to a divorce and my mother just fought cancer. I knew that there are many evils in the world that has yet to come visit me. My mother has been weak because of her cancer, but that made her desperate for a helping hand. I was introduced to my worst nightmare yet, her boyfriend. He caused my family to go through unfortunate events.... [tags: Sibling, Mother, Family, Disappointment]
1469 words (4.2 pages)
- During the past decade, the state of California has been one of the fastest growing economies of the United States. The substantial growth has positioned California as the top one economy in the United States, with a gross domestic production of approximately 2.3 trillion dollars for the fiscal year 2014. The state of California has also ranked number eight in the largest world economies, passing countries like Italy and Russia (Young, 2014). Although many factors have led to this growth, the most influential have been related to the high investment of private industries and the increases on international trade and the real estate sector.... [tags: Unemployment, Economics, United States, California]
949 words (2.7 pages)
- California is the state that is notable for celebrities, consistent sunny weather, lavishly tasting restaurants, overpriced closet apartments, and dazzling cities full of charismatic gurus. Additionally, there's an eminent array of hipster communities that are striving to be different with attempts of transcending new ways to be outgoing. The liveliness of Californians usually comprises of wannabe musicians, actors, artistic exhibitionist, and other infamous people who are dying for their fifteen minutes of fame.... [tags: California Essays]
1279 words (3.7 pages)
- California is full of beauty, a beauty that is constantly glamourized, and falsely advertised. There is a constant battle against the stereotypes presented in the media, which have created a false image of this massive state. The media presents an insufficient amount of information about California that impedes the outsiders to fully understand the beauty of this state. The media focuses on the tourist attractions of California, like, beaches, Los Angeles, Hollywood, and San Francisco. Although these attractions are appealing, the spotlight should also highlight the impoverished cities, the cultural and geographical diversity.... [tags: United States, California, City, Los Angeles]
764 words (2.2 pages)
- What if you had to answer the question, who is your biggest role model. Would you know the answer on the top of your head, or would you have to think about it. Everyone has their version of their perfect role model. The answer to these questions could be their best friend, family, or even someone as simple as a celebrity. For many people, it can be hard to decide who has had the biggest impact and their life and for what reasons. However, for me deciding my biggest role model is perfectly simple.... [tags: Family, Father, Sociology, Never have I ever]
896 words (2.6 pages)
- In the United States, there would be a new overhaul to its identity. By 1848, businesses would eventually see a new and prosperous way to make money. The U.S. also began to see a few cultures begin to spark and the attitudes of people would change, especially their views about taking risks. This overhaul is known as the Gold Rush of California. The Gold Rush made an impact on American society through diversity and people. The traditional beginning of the Gold Rush was the story of James Marshall.... [tags: The California Gold Rush]
3391 words (9.7 pages)
- ... Next, the gold-seekers didn’t concern about their safely issue for finding gold at the riverbeds, mountains or even tunnels with poor weather and bad environment conditions. For them, time was money. They kept working days and nights to achieve their dream and only concerned how much did they gain in California to improve their living standard. Second, I believe that the ethos of persistence was developed in the beginning when the gold-seekers decided to come California for a luck. The gold-seekers spent a long and tough journey from their hometown to arrive in San Francisco with nothing and separated with the families indeed.... [tags: California Gold Rush, immigration, west coast]
882 words (2.5 pages)
- Comparing Cinderella and Ever After When most people think of the movie, "Cinderella';, they think of the animated Disney version with the little mice and the happy ending where Cinderella marries the prince and they live happily ever after. While the movie "Ever After'; is based on "Cinderella';, it is not animated, but still has many of the same characteristics as the Disney version. Of course it is not exactly the same, and since it is not animated there are many differences. In "Ever After';, Drew Barrymore portrays the character Cinderella, who in the beginning of this movie is called Danielle.... [tags: Movies Film Ever After Cinderella Essays]
1194 words (3.4 pages)