The Caffe Pergolessi is unapologetically grungy and eclectic. A renovated 1866 Victorian House, it prides itself on its uniqueness, with each of their four rooms (the lobby, the blue room, the green room, and the orange room) decorated with mismatched and antique furniture. For example, in the lobby sits an old plush velvet green couch, trimmed with polished wood. The ground is covered in a red, floral carpet. In the blue room, benches that resemble church pews are paired with rustic tables. It is evident that Caffe Pergolessi is not a generic shop, decorated with furniture from Ikea. Instead, it is decorated with unique relics of the past, a quality that greatly appeals to the hipster who generally hates anything contemporary and mainstream, as it represents to them, conformity.
Furthermore, the café also displays local artwork, which adds to its unique and subculture vibe. Artistic ability or at least the ability to appreciate art seems to be one of the key feat...
... middle of paper ...
...ry choice, be it veganism or vegetarianism.
Also like the dachas of Russia, represents to the hipsters, a place that serves more than coffee and food. The café is a community. Outside on the porch, as they smoke their cigarettes and sip their black coffee, they are talking with each others about films they have seen, albums they like or dislike, and various other aspects of their lives. Though hipsters are predominantly Caucasians, they have also come to include African Americans and Asian Americans, united in their embrace for the subculture. Caffe Pergolessi is a coffee house tailored for hipsters, run by hipsters, and for these reasons, frequented by hipsters.
Investigating Culture by Carol Delaney. Blackwell Publishing, 2004. Chapter 6, pp. 229 – 263
Clothing Matters by Emma Tarlo, 1996. University of Chicago Press, Chapter 1 pp. 1-21
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Ratio Analysis A tool used to conduct a quantitative analysis of information in a company's financial statements. Ratios are calculated from current year numbers and are then compared to previous years, other companies, the industry to judge the performance of the company. Financial performance based on may 2006 interim report Caffè Nero Group plc, the leading independent UK coffee house operator of 282stores, which has been voted the top rated brand by consumers for the last six consecutive years.... [tags: Business Analysis Strategy Management]
1647 words (4.7 pages)
- Café Pergolesi has a distinct alternative atmosphere to it. The customers I observed did not seem to be part of the popular culture, nor did they appear to want to. The café itself is an independent business located on Cedar Street in downtown Santa Cruz, one street over parallel to Pacific Avenue, the town’s central tourist shopping haven. It is conveniently located near the hubbub transpiring downtown, however I could see no tourists in sight. This is probably because Café Pergolesi is run inside an old house.... [tags: Site Observation, Tourism]
883 words (2.5 pages)
- Introduction The “Querelle des Bouffons” ("Quarrel of the Comic Actors") was a cultural war over the comparative merits of French and Italian opera styles. It was divided into two camps; the supporters of Italian music known as the coin de la reine, and the partisans of French music known as the coin du roi. However the querrelle had political and social implications with supporters of the royal establishment championing French opera, they saw as being forged on the principles of French classicism and absolutist ideology, while proponents of Enlightenment saw in Italian opera a vehicle for subversive attacks on that establishment.... [tags: Humanities, Theatre]
1870 words (5.3 pages)
- Coffee Industry in the UK The coffee industry has grown rapidly since the 1990s; before Starbucks emerged, people were used to drinking low quality coffee from tins. Starbucks introduced fresh coffee made from top quality beans that have excellent taste and drinks such as the caffe latte and cappuccino, which have helped to fuel the development of the coffee market into a multi million pound industry. The size of UK branded coffee chains have quadrupled from 1999 to 2004, with a current market turnover of over £1 billion.... [tags: Business Marketing Essays]
1602 words (4.6 pages)
- South Africa Foundation of South Africa: South Africa is officially known as the Republic of South Africa. The country is located at Africa’s southern tip which has a coastline of 2798 kilometers or 1739 miles that majestically stretches along the two oceans namely South Atlantic as well as Indian Oceans. To its north region, there are a few neighboring countries called Namibia, Zimbabwe and Botswana while Mozambique along with Swaziland lie to its east. South Africa has been the 25th country in view of its large land area.... [tags: african, nations, tourism, sites]
994 words (2.8 pages)
- Wendy Lesser’s “Mulberry Street Café” portrays a young girl that is believably judging the mature men situated on all sides of her (Atwan 240). At Caffe Bella Napoli, an Italian style eatery, the young girl signifies the only adolescent and female in the photo. She has situated herself on the side of the café and seems to be examining all of the activities happening in and around her. With her arm to her mouth as if she is biting her nails, she is seemingly non-existent to the crowd. For instance, she seems to be dejected, wondering to herself, “Am I stuck here forever?” seeing as she is the only female and youngling around (Atwan 240).... [tags: Art]
1102 words (3.1 pages)
- Scientists tell us that our sense of smell is the sense most closely related to memory. I have to say I agree. It only takes a whiff of freshly brewed coffee to transport me back to my childhood. Yes, my olfactory sense works better than H.G. Wells' time machine. One moment I am comfortably seated in mid-western suburbia; the next moment I am sitting in the kitchen of Grandmother Randel's house in Tampa, Florida. Grandmother Randel, like most Southern Belles, was a marvelous cook, and an even better cook-supervisor.... [tags: First Person Narrative Examples]
931 words (2.7 pages)
- ... Demographic variables are consumers divided in two different segments such as age, material status, family size, income, occupation, education level etc. Second one is geographic, consumers divided into different segments of geographical units such as nation regions, states and cites, etc. third one is psychographic variables consumers divided into different segments based on their lifestyle social classes and personality etc. fourth and last one is behavioural variable which is consumers are divided into different segments based on attitude, knowledge,response of the product and service In the case of Viyoga restaurant market segmentation based on psychographic, demographic, behavi... [tags: individuals, tourism, families]
830 words (2.4 pages)
- 1. Starbucks Corporation's rise seems to be out of a storybook for Howard Schultz. Starbucks began selling whole bean coffee in 1971 under Jerry Baldwin, Zev Siegl, and Gordon Bowker. Business grew at a slow and steady pace until Schulz joined the company as manager of retail sales and marketing. After a visit to Milan, Italy, Schultz was inspired by a vision. He saw how important coffee was to the romantic culture of Italy. He believed that if Americans had such places to socialize over a cup of coffee, espresso, cappuccino, etc., that they would pay good money for his quality product.... [tags: essays research papers]
944 words (2.7 pages)
- Each of above designers prepares six slides which elucidate their deliberating method, product or how do they think during a design project. They have been limited for only eight minutes. First lecturer was Linda Juckic. She was wearing a fancy remarkable dress which was shining. Despite she is professional designer, she was very young. Because she was graphic designer, same as me, I try to write down everything about her presentation. Her slides were made up from a cropped image of her home or office with layout of bold white colored words higher up the image.... [tags: Sydney Design Festival]
1467 words (4.2 pages)