This atmosphere fits in well with the ideology of the town. Local citizens of Santa Cruz are not necessarily partial to tourism, but businesses thrive with it so it is beneficial to the town’s economy. The people in Santa Cruz like small locally owned shops, which have been overrun by large corporations such as Starbucks, Urban Outfitters, and Borders on Pacific Avenue. Independent bookstores, secondhand clothing stores, coffee shops, and other small businesses are still making a living on the street, and many locals prefer these shops instead. Café Pergolesi is one of these unique shops that the residents inhabit instead of Starbucks, one of the leaders in corporate takeover.
Quite a few of the people I saw there were students. I decided to sit outside on the patio overlooking Cedar Street to conduct my observations. Luckily, my girlfriend Bri came with me so people were less suspicious of my time there. Café Pergolesi gave off a welcoming feeling, and I frequently found myself...
... middle of paper ...
...tions around these days, being anti-conformist might actually be conforming to the next trend. Many people in my generation make it their duty to be against everything considered “mainstream” (which is anything the popular masses like or know about). These people have been deemed the title “hipsters.” I believe it is possible that being a hipster will itself become “mainstream” in the near future.
While Pacific Avenue and the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk may be the Santa Cruz focal points for tourists, Café Pergolesi is exactly the opposite. The customers take pride in being at a place that runs independently from large corporations, and makes tourists unlikely to support it. It was a delight observing the anti-conformist customers that inhabited Café Pergolesi. The café is a hub for students and the alternative scene, and it seems to be doing quite well for itself.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Porters Five Forces Model As strategy consultants of McCormick & Associates, we use Porters Five Forces Model as a framework when making a qualitative evaluation of a firm's strategic position (Appendix 1.2). These five forces determine the competitive intensity and therefore attractiveness of a market. These forces affect the ability of a company to serve its customers and make a profit. A change in any of the forces normally requires a company to re-assess the market place. Bargaining Power of Customers Is high when buyers have many choices of whom to buy from and low when the choices are few.... [tags: Broadway Café Case Study]
1950 words (5.6 pages)
- While traveling the Texas highways there are several things that a person must stop for on the road to their destination, food, lodging, and gas; however, this does not mean that such stops should be treated with impatience, but rather should be viewed as a part of the whole travel experience. When traversing the state, if you, weary traveler, happen to be passing through Denton, Texas, we highly recommend making a pit stop at the Oldwest Café located at 1020 Dallas Drive, a relatively main thoroughfare for the city.... [tags: travel, Texas, cafe]
515 words (1.5 pages)
- Although, people come from different backgrounds and have different lives, they may share common interests. People also make all kinds of different choices in life, and these choices people make may have similar outcomes to other people. In the novel “Quicksand,” Helga Crane’s self-image is unstable, because she is African-American and White. This instability in her life leads her to make decisions impulsively and not consider the repercussions of her choices. Helga makes a few major choices in her life which includes where to move, the type of job she has, and whom she is going to marry.... [tags: story and character analysis]
983 words (2.8 pages)
- Explanation of the method According to the information from The World Café (2008), the process of Café conversation starts at small café-style tables with four to five people each. Individuals will switch to another table on each round of conversation which takes approximately 20-30 minutes. After completing the first round of conversation, one person will remain at the table and become the “host” for the explanation of the main ideas, themes and questions from the previous conversations. While the others, which carry key ideas, themes and questions to link and connect into their new conversations.... [tags: communication psychology, mind-mapping]
1122 words (3.2 pages)
- Immigrant Tragedy in The Cariboo Café by Viramontes Helena Maria Viramontes grew up in Los Angeles where relatives used to stay and live with her family when making the transition from Mexico to the United States. This is where she got her first taste of the lives of immigrants in this country within the urban barrios. Viramontes's writing reflects this theme along with expressing her political opinions on the treatments of immigrants, especially Chicanos and Latinos. In her short story "The Cariboo Café," Viramontes brings these ideas to life through three sections narrated by different individuals tied into the story.... [tags: Immigration Immigrants]
1479 words (4.2 pages)
- Caffe Pergolessi, located on the corner of Elm St and Cedar St, is more than a pit stop for caffeine, and much more than just a coffee shop. Caffe Pergolessi, commonly referred to by regular frequenters as “The Perg,” prides itself on being the oldest coffee house in Santa Cruz. It is a popular place to socialize and study for locals and students alike. It, however, has a reputation for being the site of congregation for hipsters, young adults who pride themselves in their knowledge and celebration of underground culture, particularly in music, film, art, literature, and fashion.... [tags: Culture]
1088 words (3.1 pages)
- In this modern era, there are so many people who getting busy with their work and don’t have time to cook their own food or even make their own coffee. They will get their food either in restaurant or café. But some of them prefer to go to café because they can get their meals while getting a good quality of coffee to accompany them. There are a lot of café that can offer them something like that. But the question is, which café will attract them to come and spend their time to enjoy the pleasure of eat and drink coffee in Palmerston North.... [tags: word of mouth, advertisement]
1255 words (3.6 pages)
- Comparing the Aura Café and the Lunch Box The Aura Café Situated on the High Street of Whitechapel, opposite the tube station, the Aura café was opened in December 2004. It is a small café owned and control by a sole owner Mr. Muhammad Ali but well furnished with around 30 covers, with air conditioning system, a nice interior decoration and also a non smoking area. SWOT Analysis of the Aura Café. Strength * According to my findings, the Aura café targets mostly the students from colleges and universities of the surrounding area.... [tags: Papers]
976 words (2.8 pages)
- SRATEGIES TO TAKE TEA CAFÉ TO THE NEXT LEVEL OF BUSINESS INTRODUCTION TEA Café is an Asian-styled restaurant located in Norman, Oklahoma. TEA Café is very unique to Norman and almost every Norman resident has experienced TEA Café. Ask any resident or student and they will brag about how good TEA Café is. However, TEA Café is currently not tapping into the student population here at the University of Oklahoma, thus missing out on an enormous audience. The purpose of this report is to provide realistic and achievable strategies to take TEA Café to the next level of business.... [tags: student body, growing a company]
1913 words (5.5 pages)
- One Southern novel shines light on racism, feminism, and surprising lesbianism. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café by Fannie Flagg, published in 1987, is about the different events happening and people living in Whistle Stop and Birmingham, Alabama. Fannie Flagg uses many powerful characters to enforce several themes. Idgie, Ruth, Evelyn, Mrs. Threadgoode, Big George, Artis, and Jasper are a few of the main characters that help Flagg show the themes though out Fried Green Tomatoes . Fannie Flagg was born in Birmingham, Alabama on September 21, 1941.... [tags: Fannie Flagg]
1419 words (4.1 pages)