Aiming to turn WACT into a self-sustainable organization, it is mandatory to access the strategic capabilities of the NGO and find a way of getting financial returns through its own activities, apart from the funds already offered by other entities, such as Government funding and private philanthropy.
The solution found was the creation of a commercial entity called proWACTive, which focus on a variety of business activities that generate revenues to the NGO, rather than focusing on the non-profit activities of WACT mainly done through voluntary actions. The co-existence of these two activities is the best model, as it enables the maximization of social support and fiscal benefits, such as the pro-rata VAT method, which allows the reduction of the VAT deduction.
Social enterprises are authorized to engage in these economic activities for the purpose of raising money to apply in the non-for-profit activities. Thus, the NGOs principal purpose is not the commercial activity but rather the carrying out of the social projects for which the organization was created, which can be improved with the extra investment money that the economic activities bring to the organization.
In order to achieve an excellence arrangement for this NGOD management challenge, this project will focus on the financial sustainability of the N...
... middle of paper ...
... does in-person programs for low income students in the areas of fitness, nutrition, and leadership with a main focus on fighting childhood obesity. At the same time, it has a for-profit business that focuses on online nutrition and fitness programs for consumers, online corporate wellness, and online pregnancy fitness and nutrition. It brings advantages to the non-profit sector as there have been developed a lot of R&D on the for-profit side which is licensed to the non-profit for free, giving it "bonus" resources.
Portugal also has several good examples, namely the case of Mó de Vida, which is an NGO for Development that seeks to contribute to the creation of a critical consciousness to the current development model. The NGO develops Fair Trade awareness projects in the community and, at the same time, it practices Fair Trade in fairs to raise funds for the NGO.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Strategic planning for business growth is an absolute necessity if you want to succeed. You may not realize it but not planning is planning by default. The results you achieve will be in direct proportion to the planning, or not, that you are doing right now. One strategy that is often recommended by experts and business owners alike is to find and join business to business networking groups. These are referral organizations, since that is why everybody is there, that allow you to reach other people and businesses.... [tags: Marketing, Management, Business terms]
860 words (2.5 pages)
- Strategic and Financial Planning “Plans are worthless, but planning is everything” (Eisenhower, 1957). Businesses that fail to plan are very likely to fail and at best will not recognize the full spectrum of profit avenues available to them. Strategic planning helps firms to define how they will make money in the future. Financial planning goes further into depth using the strategic plan as a baseline and helps firms determine their short-term and long-term budgets as well as the possible effectiveness of their plans.... [tags: Business, Budgets, Plannins]
1029 words (2.9 pages)
- Contingency Planning: The Planning Process Amanda Rabius PHL/320 September 24, 2017 Contingency Planning: The Planning Process Is it practical to not have a backup plan for your business. It could mean taking a boring nine-to-five job after failing a new venture. Recovering from a disaster and planning be the continuation of your business is not something that is only done one time either. It is continuous. A backup plan is only as good as your ability to recover from the downfall. Some people may use the phrase “Plan B” in our personal lives, but it is important to have a back-up plan when it comes to business.... [tags: Management, Business continuity planning, Risk]
1452 words (4.1 pages)
- In any retail operation or company, planning is a very important factor for the success of any endeavor in that it involves the actual anticipation and organization of what needs to be done and how it should be done to reach an objective.(Retailing, pg.40) Strategic planning involves a company or firm to adapt its resources to the actual opportunities and possible threats of the ever-changing retail environment, and, if used properly, a good strategic plan can help retailers achieve and maintain a beneficial balance of its resources and possible opportunities to come.... [tags: Business, Planning]
1700 words (4.9 pages)
- Nowadays business leaders need to understand environment which is going to be more complex. Organisations are open system so that organisations need to adapt environment which they operate in. Matridakis, Hogarth and Gaba (2010) argued that traditional tools did not fit well to new complex environment. Although complex environment and level of uncertainty cannot be explained by forecasting, most of the traditional method including strategic planning and organizational development method are tried to use past trends and forecast future.... [tags: Business, Strategic Organizational Planning]
1072 words (3.1 pages)
- Business Plan Executive Summary Extravaganza is a full service company that provides complete party planning services for weddings, bridal shower, baby showers, Sweet 16 and anniversaries. Our staff is experienced and dedicated professionals with many years of party planning experience. Extravaganza listens to the customers’ needs and works with them to create the event of their dreams. We want every detail of their event to be both a pleasurable and a memorable experience. Therefore we offer a host of packages and services specifically tailored to the needs of each person.... [tags: Business Plans]
1389 words (4 pages)
- Planning for Success Planning is a key factor in the success of any business, and conversely, the failure to plan adequately is one of the fastest routes to business failure. There are many considerations that an entrepreneur must decide such as: type of business, legal structure, permits and licenses, market planning, business plan, location, organization management planning, business telephone line, mission statement, and a business checking account. There are many sources of information to help to start a business in an organized way, such as a business plan from the office of Economic Development & Planning located in the County Office Building, or books in that can be found in any... [tags: Business Planning Plans]
2617 words (7.5 pages)
- In this paper, the writer will evaluate the planning function of management within Arthur Andersen. Specifically, the paper will discuss at least one legal, ethical, and social responsibility issue that impacts Arthur Andersen. Additionally, this paper will analyze the impact these factors have on Arthur Andersen’s management planning. Finally, this paper will analyze at least three factors that influence Arthur Andersen’s strategic, tactical, operational, and contingency planning. The firm of Arthur Andersen LLP was founded in 1913 by Arthur Andersen and Clarence DeLany and named Andersen, DeLany & Co.... [tags: Business Analysis Planning Management]
1278 words (3.7 pages)
- This paper is a reflection on three simulations as they relate to strategic planning. The first simulation, “Thinking Strategically”, highlights the importance of environmental scanning. The second simulation, “Developing Grand Strategies”, challenged decisions made which lead to effective strategy formulation and choices. The third simulation, “Creating a Strategic Road Map”, provided a simulated experience of how to build a strategic roadmap and the importance and effectiveness of formulating action plans and goals.... [tags: Business Analysis Strategy Management]
1433 words (4.1 pages)
- Strategic Planning 1. Appraise the formal planning efforts at the Copley Company for the period 1981 to 1984. INTRODUCTION Copley Manufacturing Company was primarily a manufacturer of a wide line of cutting tools and related parts and supplies. Late in 1980, Mr. Sagan, director of corporate development and Mr. Albert, executive vice president agreed that regular formal planning should become part of management’s way of life at Copley. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY In 1981, Copley Manufacturing Company had begun formal corporatewide planning.... [tags: Business Planning Essays]
2431 words (6.9 pages)