Over the last few decades business strategy has evolved substantially. Management of any business must constantly evaluate and analyze internal environment strength and weaknesses, and monitor external environment for threats and opportunities. Firms must define their positions and develop sustainable competitive advantages in the face of these competitive challenges and threats. (Casadesus-Masanell, R and Enric Ricart, J, 2010) It’s expected of management to consider these changes and adjust strategy as and when needed. Strategic management is about change, and planning to survive amid change. (Smit, PJ et al., 2007). According to Thompson (2012) developing a strategic vision and mission, setting objectives, and crafting of a strategy are basic direction setting tasks. Combined they form strategic plan or strategic intent to move organisation to achieve goals.
Strategic Management process consists of five interrelated managerial stages (Thompson, AA et al., 2012)
Stage 1 : Developing a strategic vision, a mission, and a set of values
Stage 2: Setting objectives
Stage 3: Crafting a strategy to archive those objectives
Stage 4: Executing the chosen strategy
Stage 5: Monitor strategic developments, evaluating execution performance, and making adjustments
Above process will be used to evaluate selected organizations current strategic management process. We will also look at alternative tools used by same organizations to express their strategic intent. For the evaluation we have used mentioned three Company’s websites and annual reports.
Stage 1 of strategic management process.
Every organization requires an inspiring vision to lead them to what th...
... middle of paper ...
...here are opportunities for growth, especially in sustainable environmental friendly products. There also exists strong growth potential in African Countries. Lifting of consumption tax in Angola, for example, increased sales volume for beverages exceptionally well. (Nampak Website – Operational Report)
Nampak Limited trading profit from operations in 12 African countries year to September 2013, soared 60% to R506m, resulting in 26% of group trading profit. If you include exports from South Africa, Africa produced 36% (R690m) of group trading profit. By comparison, Shoprite in its year to June 2013 generated a trading profit of R613m from its African operations — 11,4% of the group total (Thomas, S 2013)
The packaging industry definitely offers attractive profit opportunities for current packaging businesses. Its however not a market easily assessable for newcomers.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In order to succeed in today 's marketplace, whatever the key business purpose or strategy your company emphasizes must be reflected in the workplace practices. This is where strategic alignment comes into play. Strategic Alignment is the business redesign process by which you link business strategy with the objective of minimizing waste and misdirection of effort and resources. So how can you optimize strategic alignment. Here are the five best practices for strategic alignment. 1) Determine the Needs of Your Target Market Market research is an effective tool to understanding the needs of the consumer.... [tags: Marketing, Management, Strategic management]
730 words (2.1 pages)
- Six Sigma in SMES with a Successful Experience in Aeronautics Six sigma is an important tool applied by organizations towards making improvement strategies. Six sigma implementation in SMEs is challenging because of production volumes, size, the degree of employee training, and resources which are normally smaller compared to bigger organizations (Pedro, Garrido vega et al. 8). There are some key factors and obstacles though that influences the implementation of six sigma towards the success of an organization in total quality improvement.... [tags: Six Sigma, Strategic management, Business process]
872 words (2.5 pages)
- Strategic Management What is strategic management. In this study we will view what a manager’s role is and the development of strategic management has an affect on their companies performance. We will examine strategic management, what the benefits and problems are when utilizing strategic management, and how to implement strategic management in the company. Strategic management is a process to enhance the goals of your business. This gives managers a strategic awareness and value of the company when strategic management is implemented.... [tags: Management, Strategic management, Planning]
881 words (2.5 pages)
- Personal Role & Contribution: I find myself privileged to be working with such an interactive group that have enlightened me throughout the journey of strategy formulation process and business model execution before the board panel. For me every working day with the team was a new learning experience. And I’m satisfied with my contribution to the group work and the operational skills of the team. The role I was assigned was chief human resource officer CHRO and the key responsibilities of my role comprised of promoting equality and diversity through company culture, monitoring the workforce performance through appraisals and evaluations, creating and enforcing employee policies, compliance a... [tags: Management, Strategic management, Business]
713 words (2 pages)
- Strategic management is the “identification of one or more sustainable competitive advantages a firm has in the markets it serves (or intends to serve), and allocation of resources to exploit them” (Business Dictionary, 2016). In order for industries and organizations to thrive, they must have strategies in place and strategic management processes to stay competitive, profitable, attractive to stakeholders, and to sustain advantages that set them apart from other competitors (Barney & Hesterly, 2015).... [tags: Strategic management, Management]
1046 words (3 pages)
- Figure 1 is an illustration of what constitutes the strategic process with each of the stages thoroughly investigated against internal and external factors of the organization. The formulation stage is critical in identifying a roadmap for an organization. At this stage, there are usually senior executives or policy makers. Once their work is complete the strategy is cascaded down for implementation usually to line managers and public officials in the case of policy decisions who implement according their understanding and interpretation of the main aims and objectives of the strategy.... [tags: Business Management]
976 words (2.8 pages)
- "The strategy formulation can develop competitive advantage only to the extent that the process can give meaning to workers in the trenches." —David Hurst (David, 2011). Strategic management can be defined as the art and science of formulation, implementation, and evaluation of cross-functional decisions that enables an organization to achieve its objectives. So, strategic management focuses on integration management, marketing, finance, operations, R&D and information systems to achieve organizational accomplishment.... [tags: Strategic management, Management, Competition]
1160 words (3.3 pages)
- Strategic management process is neither a clean nor a linear, but a systematic process that requires hardworking and commitment in an organization. Most people in an organization should involve in the process to move it towards the strategic goal. Thus, strategic management identify and make the necessary changes and measures the organization’s performance while it moves towards its vision. Prior to strategic planning, pre-planning activities should be applied, including the close attention to the stakeholders’ needs and the support it requires while deciding to implement strategic planning.... [tags: Strategic management, Strategic planning]
1843 words (5.3 pages)
- Strategic Planning Processes - Google Step1. Evaluation of the organization’s current mission and purpose Mission: Organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. Purpose: Allow users to be able to find information in many different languages; check stock quotes, maps, and news headlines; lookup phonebook listings for every city in the United States; search billions of images and peruse the world's largest archive of Usenet messages. In addition, support thousands of advertisers to use Google’s AdWords program to promote their products and services on the web with targeted advertising.... [tags: Business Analysis Strategy Management]
851 words (2.4 pages)
- Definition of Strategic Management: There have been issues in getting a conclusive definition for Strategic management; experts all over the world have different ways of viewing the issue of strategic management hence the derivation of different definition for it. According to Tyndall, Cameron, and Taggart in their book “Strategic planning and management guidelines for transportation agencies” they wrote that every business has its own description of strategic management. They further stated that strategic management can be categorised in terms of its own growth or advancement in every business due to education or training, occurrence of managerial risk, the way at which the organisation is... [tags: Business Management]
987 words (2.8 pages)