Business growth general is assumed to be good; bigger is assumed to be better (Hess, 2011), but if the proper planning is not in place it can lead to a business failure. Beginning a business based on something she loved, and needed in her life Susan Feller made the brave decision to build a successful business by baking and selling gluten-free cakes and desserts. After her retirement she focused on her dream and solving her own issue, finding food safe and healthy to eat for those, like herself, with Celiac disease and gluten allergies, but they also had to be delicious. Feller had some tough decisions to make as a small business owner, would she be able to keep up with the demand, how can she grow her business and what if she decided she had had enough and wanted to close the business? These are all decisions any business owner have to face at one point or another.
Should She Grow?
Working off a passion is not always a sure solution to success in business. But Feller had managed to have her products in 26 grocery stores, including Whole Foods, on the internet and in her own retail store (Hess, 2011). With no prior business experience, she was handling all aspects of her new found retail store, new-product development, sales, accounting inventory etc… it is certain she needed help. If I were Feller, I would choose to continue to grow my business but would need a business plan and an end goal in mind. Though the plans and goals may change, she needs clear expectation of herself and her business to ensure the growth would prosper. Having a solid foundation will allow Fellers to begin with fewer uncertainties and is an important element for continued business success. It keeps entrepreneurs from moving forward ...
... middle of paper ...
... point, Fellers will move into the radar of larger companies, making it a target (Hess, 2011). This can obviously pose a challenge to small businesses as larger companies have more resources available to them. If she is not willing to take these risks, Fellers should not grow her business.
Growth can be both rewarding and dangerous, but must be thought-out carefully. Not all growth is good, businesses must weigh their options to decide the best course of action for their business. Weighing out the pros and cons of growth and choosing the appropriate strategy will ensure the success of the growth. Not every business wants to reach the million dollar mark, but with a solid growth strategy in place these decisions can be made. Fellers has the potential to grow her business, she just needs to decide if it is the right decision for her to make.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Mario was thinking of going into the bakery business. Mario knows that the bakery business holds a lot of uncertainty, his decision about prices, cost and production are critical for business survival, at the same time; he has to determine the pulse of the market. However, if he decides to work in another business, his choice will involve an opportunity cost. If Mario decides to push for the bakery business, he needs some money to start up his business. Total fixed Cost Mario first decision is buy an oven.... [tags: Mario wants to go into the bakery business]
957 words (2.7 pages)
- Have you ever been woken up by the smell of cookies. Imagine how wonderful it is when you are wished “good morning” by the smell of the warmness and happiness coming from the fresh baked cookies inside the oven. For me, it was one of the most meaningful thing that I had ever experienced: I was born in a family which hold a bakery business at home. The bakery is called “Sun Flower” and is fifteen years older than me. To me, it is very interesting to share with other people that I grew up in the bakery community which trained me how to bake, taught me about the value of work and working spirit as well as brought my family closer together.... [tags: Sun Bakery, smells, family]
997 words (2.8 pages)
- Cultural Delights is a bakery deals in the cultural desserts. The core products of the bakery are desserts from all over the world like popular and special desserts from Asia, Meddle East, U.S and Mexico. The purpose of the business is to provide its customers with unique and quality products. The business starts with partnership and plans to earn profit within one year from starting of the business. After this the business will grow to other markets and expand in the third year. The management of the bakery is confident to gain the large market share because of the unique products offered by a single bakery.... [tags: Marketing, Strategic management, Baking, Culture]
799 words (2.3 pages)
- ... In the British Bakery Website stated that ‘Greggs wins accolades for social media campaign’. Greggs has won two digital awards for a social media campaign that helped to sell more than one million doughnuts nationwide. The campaign raised awareness and drove sales of the new range launched by the bakery, by turning the products into superstar characters on social media websites, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube. In the advert the doughnut’s superstars led real lives and competed to be crowned Greggs superstar, which Greggs users had to vote on.... [tags: quality, value, fincane, marketing, resources]
2476 words (7.1 pages)
- The paper below responds to the following three prompts: 1. “The six forces model of strategy helps firms develop externally coherent business strategies”. Discuss applying the model to real cases. 2. Explain strategic posture and how it helps firms make strategy in uncertain business environments. 3. Evaluate the role of mergers and acquisitions in corporate strategy. 1. “The six forces model of strategy helps firms develop externally coherent business strategies”. Discuss applying the model to real cases.... [tags: Business Development Strategies]
3088 words (8.8 pages)
- This paper seeks to identify the various emerging trends and current issues surrounding areas of training and development in an organization. The paper has evaluated emerging trends under the topic organizational development in training and strategy, with the focus in Japan. The person who reads this paper will be taken through a comprehensive step by step process to determine the most significant trend. The paper will also mention the impacts this trends have in the future organization, this will then open the platform for my literature review.... [tags: Organizational Development, Training Strategies]
2782 words (7.9 pages)
- ... Color Me Cupcake will host a grand opening to gain consumer awareness. This event will have the City of Chicago talking. The event will offer some nice take home products offered by the business to build customers interest and this will also help to increase sales. We will have employees on site sporting our logo shirts handing out samples of different cupcakes. The business is also supporting “Going Green”; this will cut of cost for the business and help with costumer awareness to show we care about our environment.... [tags: bakery, quality, price]
1160 words (3.3 pages)
- Business Development in a Global Market Developing a business opportunity or introducing a new product into the global market place is a risky business at the best of times. Strong and precise business strategies along with extensive market research are the keys for developing a successful global enterprise. This essay will cover the core fundamentals required to best enter the global market while minimizing the risks. Core fundamentals include, indentifying potential markets, product competition, risks involved, future growth potential, entry strategy and costs involved to enter the market place.... [tags: International Business Analysis Marketing]
1446 words (4.1 pages)
- Numerous large businesses that are operating today were once started as small businesses. A new business is established to create a good or service that no other businesses have ever created or simply a product of higher quality than existing products, with the purpose of meeting customers’ needs and earning profits. Due to the technological advances at the present time, starting and operating a new business is less laborious. Nevertheless, would-be entrepreneurs should be familiar with the proper approaches to start their businesses.... [tags: business plan, business development]
1473 words (4.2 pages)
- Business Development Career Overview: Business developmentor "biz dev," as insiders call itis all about growing your company's bottom line. The job of the business development professional is typically to identify new business opportunitieswhether that means new markets, new partnerships with other businesses, new ways to reach existing markets, or new product or service offerings to better meet the needs of existing marketsand then to go out and exploit those opportunities to bring in more revenue.... [tags: Business Management Strategy]
1790 words (5.1 pages)