Brian Dunn the CEO of Best Buy learned a difficult lesson using social media as a communication tool (Robbins, Decenzo, & Coulter, 2013). What started as a great tool to communicate with his employees turned into a disaster. Brian Dunn’s twitter account was hacked by someone logging on as him and sent inappropriate messages to all his connections. These devastating incidents can ruin companies and cause employees to question their leadership.
Problems with social media can be as small as a miss spelled word, to a customer posting negative comments about a company for the world to read. Additional concerns are employee’s usage during work hours causing lack of productivity (Calvasina, Calvasina, & Calvasina, 2013). Also, employee could be using social media while driving a company vehicle, or defame an individual, and or use it for insider trading. Secondly, social media can be a platform for disgruntled employees to voice their issues, or publicize company trade secrets.
These are all very real concerns for companies and their legal counsel. In addition to the concern over current employees causing problems with social media usage, internally it can be a danger. In some cases, potential applicants are being asked to provide their passwords to enable a possible future employer into their personal accounts. This violation of privacy opens up huge legal implications for companies, especially when done during a hiring process. If an applicant is not hired and the applicant can prove it was due to something on their social media accounts, this could cause a company large sums of money to settle claims or battle them out in the court system.
When a company is using social media to communicate with thei...
... middle of paper ...
...and our company has gained new patients on the positive reviews.
Overall, social media is a very positive influence for companies and employees. Information can be gained so quickly compared to a few decades ago. It has made our world a smaller place and that is good for all of us. Doing business globally was impossible before and now it is the norm. Our children are gaining access to the world and information that we never dreamt would happen when we were children.
Calvasina, G. E., Calvasina, R. V., & Calvasina, E. J. (2013). Protected concerted activity under the national labor relations act and employee use of social media: Policy and practice issues for employers. Business Studies Journal, 5(2), 59-67.
Robbins, S. P., Decenzo, D. A., & Coulter. M. (2013). Fundamentals of Management (8th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- We cannot deny how big of an impact social media has on our lives now, not only on people but businesses too. It has opened a whole new door to the business world and given them a big opportunity to interact and attract a larger amount of customers. It’s given us a new and faster way of communication by exchanging pictures, stories, news, blogs, online discussions, etc. In exchange businesses have benefited by a long shot just by the click of a button. With the help of the Internet a company no longer is dependent on a particular customer base to survive because now it can reach out to a worldwide audience within seconds.... [tags: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube]
1172 words (3.3 pages)
- 3.0: Evaluating business decisions. 3.1: Social media channels. Criteria explanations. Most effective social media solution. The most effective social media solution and tool is Facebook. Through analysing the decision making matrix it becomes obvious that Facebook has topped every one of the criteria and it is ranked number 1 above all other social media solutions. In addition to this, Facebook has the most number of people connecting on it throughout the world in comparison to the other applications.... [tags: Advertising, Social media, Facebook, Mass media]
1387 words (4 pages)
- Sometimes the best way to see if your business needs help with social media is to get your hands dirt with a social media evaluation. Although you might not be a social media expert...yet, you can still use these questions to see how to improve your presence. 1) See what social media channels your business is already on. Every business, even B2b, should have a Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. These are the most popular social networks and having a presence on these channels is necessary for your business 's reputation.... [tags: Social media, Social network service]
725 words (2.1 pages)
- Social Media for Business Communication Social media is pertinent in use of communication throughout today’s organizations. There are many social media platforms that allow organizations to convey communication to potential consumers, stakeholders and the public. “It is essential for leaders to integrate these technologies and seek the best way to use social media and networks to the advantage of the business” (Billington, 2012, p.1). Business owners find that keeping up with current technology trends is essential in having a competitive advantage in the market place and having a strict set of standards and strategy is important in quickly adapting to social media trends.... [tags: modern business, media platforms]
1104 words (3.2 pages)
- Social media refers to the sharing of information among people in a networked environment. It is concerned with the creation of virtual communities where members interact electronically through ICT platforms. People can share videos, photographs and different forms of communication through social media facilities. Advancement in information communication technology has fueled the development of social media networking. Evolution of mobile computing and development of internet-enabled mobile phones has catalyzed the development of social media networking (Davis and Linda 101).... [tags: Marketing, Business, Social media, Advertising]
1111 words (3.2 pages)
- The Importance of Social Media in the World of Business Through these past years, social media has taken communication to a new level worldwide and, new technology has taken place at the beginning of this century. In this generation, social media has become an important part of people’s daily life around the world. Social media is defined as online websites, and applications that users use to share content on the internet. Some of the popular social media tools, and sites includes: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and many others.... [tags: Social media, Twitter, Facebook, Internet]
1196 words (3.4 pages)
- Ever since social media became phenomenon, big companies took advantage of it and started ad campaigns looking to further promote their respective products. Most people have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or YouTube, so the eyes are there it just depends what one wants to place in front of them. Social Media Advertising is big business. How big. Total ad revenue is set to reach $15 billion by 2018. That’s a 194 percent increase and more than half of it will be mobile. (Bennett 2014) The question, however, why is Social Media Advertising set to explode in the next three years.... [tags: Advertising, Facebook, Social media, Twitter]
1507 words (4.3 pages)
- Using social web is probably the most cost effective marketing tool available that allowed businesses to manage brand reputation, advertise, served customer, broadcast, and network (Fine, 2010). The social media has become a widespread phenomenon and global trend because of the popularity of Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook (Hinchcliffe & Kim, 2012). In the recent study conducted by LinkedIn, 94% of small businesses use social media as a marketing tool and 49% use it for research to grow business (Weiss, 2014).... [tags: Social Media Marketing]
1225 words (3.5 pages)
- Social media has set in a new wave in the business world. As per the recent study carried out by Internet Advertising Bureau UK, a business having social media presence is likely to attract 80 percent more customers in future (The Guardian, 2013). Especially, for small businesses having limited time and budgetary constraints, it is important to chart out an effective social media marketing policy to give the required boost to the business expansion. There are different purposes for different small scale business organizations to use social media.... [tags: social media, social media, corporate identity]
1464 words (4.2 pages)
- Zappos, is an online retailer that combines shoes and social media remarkably well. The company is one of the earliest adopter of social media for marketing purposes and it has certainly taken a leadership position. Social media is a core part of Zappos’s business strategy, and they utilize this by using Twitter to collaborate with consumers, employees, vendors and investors. “Scores of blogger, lots of video blogging, and 198 employees on Twitter help keep the company’s profile high and humanize the folks behind the shoe sale” ( (Kirkpatrick, 2008).... [tags: Twitter, Social media, Facebook]
883 words (2.5 pages)
- Water Damage: 6 Feet Deep
- The Effects of Genetically Modified Foods on the Human Body
- The Yellow Fever: A Dangerous Virus
- The Jilting of Granny Weatherall by Catherine Ann Porter
- Bank of America and the Mortgage Crisis
- Disagreement, Question-Begging, and Epistemic Self-Criticism by David Christensen