Bullying has become a serious issue in the past few years for many students. The constant harassment by peers can take a serious toll on the victims. There are many variations of bullying— cyber bullying, verbal bullying, physical bullying, and many others. With so many variations of bullying, it leaves a large amount of room for potential victims to be hurt. What happens when bullying enters a school environment? How does this affect the students? The students are affected greatly. I can personally think of several examples here at West Salem High School that have ruined some student 's friendships and lives. Including mine.
Recently a page on social media popped up in our school named "West Salem Scandal." It provided personal stories about students attending West Salem High School, and stated that certain students were "next" to be exposed. It struck fear through all of the students, but intrigued many as well. Word spread like wild fire throughout the school, and phones were constantly checked throughout the day for the latest update. For those who were victims of the cyber bullying, were ready to find out who was behind this. Students began to turn on each other, accusations through the roof. Including me. My own friends came up to me in the halls, accusing me of running this page, and yelling at me that they were going to the cops. How could my own friends accuse me of doing something so awful? I ended the day in tears. Cyber bullying can affect people in so many ways, and can lead to friendships being ruined. Calling a person names behind a screen can have a large impact on personal lives. Humiliation is a tool that many bullies use, whether it’s posting embarrassing pictures, spreading rumors, or calling names to p...
... middle of paper ...
...ey didn’t do, and bullies are aware what they’re doing wrong. When a bully is caught harassing another student, serious disciplinary actions need to be taken. If the bully is only warned, or let off with little to no punishment, they won’t learn a lesson and continue the harassment. This will always help the victim feel safer, now that the bully was recognized as a bully and punished for it. Also, the medias influence on today’s youth can lead to bullying. I know that many teenagers watch shows such as Gossip Girl, and Pretty Little Liars, that tend to glorify the “mean girl.” Young teens see that and believe that being a certain way can make them cool and accepted. If parents monitored their children’s shows, perhaps they will not have this negative influence. Adult supervision is needed within the schools, and parents should stay involved in their child’s life.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Throughout history, bullying has always been a serious problem in society. It can happen to anyone, ranging from children to even adults. In the past, bullying was thought of as a part of growing up, it was something that every child would have to go through in school. Bullying is defined as an act of aggressive behaviors that is intentionally done to cause someone pain or discomfort, this behavior is often repeated on a regular basis. Research have shown that bullying can have a strong negative affect to the development of physical, social, psychological skills of the victim.... [tags: Bullying, Abuse, Victim, Victimisation]
1301 words (3.7 pages)
- Bullying has become a serious issue in the past few years for many students. The constant harassment by peers can take a serious toll on the victims. There are many variations of bullying— cyber bullying, verbal bullying, physical bullying, and many others. With so many variations of bullying, it leaves a large amount of room for potential victims to be hurt. What happens when bullying enters a school environment. How does this affect the students. The students are affected greatly. I can personally think of several examples here at West Salem High School that have ruined some student 's friendships and lives.... [tags: Bullying, Abuse, Victim, Humiliation]
1117 words (3.2 pages)
- Bullying has existed for generations. Bullying use to occur face- to –face; you knew who the bullies were and where they lived. Because of available technology, a bully can be totally anonymous on the internet. Technology advancements, internet and social networks have produced a new method of bullying called cyberbullyimg. Cyberbullying incidents have become widespread in the past few years. According to DoSomething.org,” almost sixty percent of young people say that they have been cyberbullied before.... [tags: bullying, technology, social media, shame]
1529 words (4.4 pages)
- Being cyberbullied is a reality that mostly teens and young adults of today have to face but it can happen to anyone at any age, with many suffering from it but not speaking up about it. If not dealt with properly it can lead to numerous mental health problems and in extreme cases even suicide of the victim or others being injured. Thus becoming a serious problem that needs more attention by adults, media, and schools alike. With the advancement in technology and social media becoming a bigger part of these teens lives everyone needs to be educated on a subject like this from young to old.... [tags: Bullying, Abuse, Cyber-bullying]
1054 words (3 pages)
- Abuse is a commonplace event in modern times, taking on many different forms, including physical, sexual, emotional, and verbal abuse, occurring in many different contexts, including the home (domestic violence, spouse rape, incest), the workplace (sexual harassment), in institutional (elder abuse, bullying) and religious and community (hate crime) settings. It touches victims across the lifespan from children through elders. Abuse is a serious social and cultural problem affecting everyone whether as a victim of abuse, a perpetrator, a friend or confidant of an abused person looking for ways to be helpful, or simply as someone who is angered by injustice and wants to work for positive chang... [tags: Abuse, Bullying, Psychological abuse, Child abuse]
782 words (2.2 pages)
- In education bullying is a serious issue that teachers need to try to stop and prevent. Bullying can lead to many problems in the classroom and with the students. A teacher should make sure all their students are being included and that they are aware that bullying is not allowed. A teacher should make activities and lessons to make sure the students know what bullying is and how to prevent bullying. By using poor family structure, cyberbullying, school shootings, and why bullies do what they do will show the reader what bullying is and how was can stop bullying.... [tags: Bullying, Abuse, Verbal abuse, Humiliation]
1714 words (4.9 pages)
- In the past few years bullying has become a serious issue not only in the United States, but worldwide. The amount of bullying that occurs throughout schools, workplace environments, etc. is at an all-time high. Bullying takes a huge negative toll on its victims, which can lead to very traumatic incidents. On October 8th, 2014 a tragedy occurred for a mom when she walked in on her 13 year old son hanging from a ceiling fan unresponsive. The young boy name was Peyton James and he was from Georgetown, Texas.... [tags: Bullying, Abuse, Verbal abuse, High school]
1218 words (3.5 pages)
- In the past few years, bullying has become a serious issue not only in the United States, but worldwide. The frequency of bullying throughout schools, workplace environments, etc. is at an all-time high. Bullying takes a huge negative toll on its victims, which can lead to very traumatic incidents. On October 8th, 2014 a tragedy occurred for a mom when she walked in on her 13 year old son hanging from a ceiling fan unresponsive. The young boy’s name was Peyton James and he was from Georgetown, Texas.... [tags: Bullying, Abuse, Verbal abuse, High school]
1212 words (3.5 pages)
- Preventing Bullying Phoebe Prince is a name some of us might not know or remember, but in 2010 her name and picture were everywhere. Phoebe Prince was an Irish immigrant who moved to South Hadley, Massachusetts. In her new high school she was the subject of malicious bullying by her classmates, both at school and online. This bullying would eventually drive Phoebe to hang herself. Bullying in schools and online has become a serious problem in our country.... [tags: Bullying, Abuse, Victim, School bullying]
1216 words (3.5 pages)
- There are many ways an individual can be harassed and bullied, that others don 't take encounter. In many cases the bully does not have a clue of how horrible the consequences can be, and still decide to make fun of others. Whenever an individual is accused of bullying, that’s because that individual was repeatedly humiliating a weaker person in the public. Through out the years, individuals find easier ways to harass or bully someone. Whenever someone is being bullied is because the individual has been called names in front of others.... [tags: Abuse, Bullying, Humiliation, Harassment]
1333 words (3.8 pages)
- Analysis Of Mikael Niemi 's Popular Music From Vittula
- Why Wakefield 's Harmful Dysfunction Theory
- Reviewing The Significance And. Essentials Of The Review Of Literature
- Alice 's Adventures Of Wonderland And Sympathized With The Main Character, Alice
- The Epic Of Beowulf By William Shakespeare
- Samsung : Facing The Competition Increasing Of China