Building consensus with my staff on ways to align resources with the district vision requires effective communication, professional development, data collection and analysis. Effective superintendents align local, state, and federal resources to maximize the effectiveness of the district vision and school improvement plan. The school improvement plan requires collaboration and shared leadership with all staff members. An effective communication strategy keeps staff members focused on the issues, goals, vision and strategies of the improvement plan. The task of leadership is to communicate clearly and repeatedly the organization’s vision, all with the intent of helping every person involved understand what work needs to be done and why, and what part of the individual plays in the overall effort (O’Toole, 1999). The key for superintendents is to build collaborative and sustained relations with all staff members while at the same time being careful not to impose their own views and beliefs. Taking time to understand the multiple perspectives of key stakeholders regarding both the issues and the strategies is foundational to being able to communicate the plan effectively (Eldridge & Mason, 2010).
Utilizing professional development, as a resource, can improve student achievement. Studies that had more than 14 hours of professional development showed a positive and significant effect on student achievement from professional development ( Yoon, Duncan, Wen-yu, Scarloss & Shapley, 2007). Effective professional development provides time for staff members to learn and work together to create an instructional plan that is aligned with the school’s vision. Loucks-Horsley et al., (1998) o...
... middle of paper ...
...ples and integrity through practice and teaching strategies that will enhance student achievement. Recognition of students’ prior experience with writing and the intricate nature of writing can assist the superintendent to more effectively design a writing program and to provide guidance as students continue to develop their writing skills.
The rationale of this exercise was to identify research supported strategies that could be incorporated effectively to advance the development of a district wide improvement plan. The paper provided research based summary of relevant leadership strategies at the district level. The content strategies chosen for inclusion in this paper provide a foundation for this plan and were presented in an integrated structure supporting the need to prepare students, from all diverse backgrounds, to be proficient in their writing skills
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “Probably no relationship in a school district has a greater effect on successful education than that between a board and its superintendent (Kowalski, 2006).” The key to any successful relationship is getting to know one another. In order to do this you must begin with open and honest communication. Communication involves listening and learning as much, if not more so, than it implies talking. In developing a successful relationship with a new school board I would immediately begin setting up meetings with the individual board members so that I could get to know each of them personally in an effort to build both social and human capital.... [tags: School Board, Students]
998 words (2.9 pages)
- Education in our nation is in crisis, and in order to confront the problem we need to tackle it at the center. We need to target school boards; they control funds, education, and more or less the community. With school boards these days being counter-productive, there seems only one way to solve the problem. Get rid of school boards across the nation and provide each school with its individual power much like private schools, or initiate the creation of a nation-wide school board. With the whole nation on the same page, maybe together we can help save education, and ensure the future of our country.... [tags: Education]
1765 words (5 pages)
- Criterion Narrative I. Responsibility and Authority Ongoing oversight of all educator preparation programs offered by the Burton School District is two-fold. First, the Coordinator of Mentor and Induction for New Teachers, Dana Stinson, will oversee the general education program. Second, the Executive Director of Human Resources, Debbie Estrada, will oversee the Mentor and Induction for New Teachers program, and report directly to the Superintendent, Dr. Sharon Kamberg. The Coordinator of Mentor and Induction for New Teachers will oversee and facilitate district programs related to preparing teachers for credentialing.... [tags: Teacher, Education, School district, School]
719 words (2.1 pages)
- Jefferson County School District Vision Statement The Jefferson County School District will develop a school climate conducive to teaching and learning for all stakeholders. Jefferson County School District Mission Statement The Jefferson County School District will provide an educational climate where all students have an opportunity to achieve success in a global society. Jefferson County School District Demographics The Jefferson County School District is located in Jefferson County, Mississippi.... [tags: High school, Secondary school, Middle school]
1657 words (4.7 pages)
- Part 1: School and District Background Information The Conval School District became what it is today in 1988 (Appendix E). Conval has gone through a number of changes throughout the years. The region started with each town having individual schools representing kindergarten through high school. In approximately 1971 members of the Antrim school board explored whether to combine Antrim with the neighboring Hillsborough-Deering School District or the Peterborough School District. Members of the Antrim school board favored the Peterborough School district and eventually voted unanimously to consolidate with Peterborough.... [tags: High school, College, School district, School]
1173 words (3.4 pages)
- 1. Based on your knowledge of effective operational procedures at the district level that influence effective operational procedures at the school level, which approach would you suggest that Superintendent Edwards use in facilitating the development, articulation, and implementation of her vision for a professional development plan. Dr. Edwards used a form of downward communication by delivering information from one level in the school district to another. A better approach would be to involve school level leaders in the initial development of her vision.... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Psychology]
841 words (2.4 pages)
- In the case of Mountain School District, there is a clear hierarchical structure in place. Curriculum and reporting guidelines are established externally through the Ministry of Education. However, it is up to local school districts to develop a program that meets both these guidelines and the needs of the community. The school district operates schools under its umbrella and works with parent stakeholders to receive feedback. At the school level, School A has an administrator who manages daily operations including the teaching staff.... [tags: High school, Teacher, Staff, School district]
1953 words (5.6 pages)
- Thank you for the opportunity to Interview you concerning Sumner School Districts Digital Readiness. I have summarized where Sumner is currently, in order to examine the next steps, in addition to assisting in the Technology Plan revision. I have included the current initiatives and technology deployments that will be fulfilled in the near future. Having the status of a technology rich district with the highest, (or one of the highest) student to device ratio, as a small district is a substantial accomplishment and should provide us with additional opportunities.... [tags: High school, Education, Teacher, School district]
1011 words (2.9 pages)
- School District 25 is comprised of various K-12 schools located through out the Pocatello and Chubbuck areas respectively. There are thirteen elementary schools, four middle schools, three high schools, and some alternate schools as well. However, for this data analysis study, Edahow Elementary School (a K-5 elementary school located in Pocatello) has been chosen, and the 5th grade classes ISAT (Idaho Standards Achievement Tests) results for science have been broken up into four areas: The percentage of students who performed below the basic standard, at the basic level, at a proficient level, and at an advanced level.... [tags: High school, Middle school, Primary school]
709 words (2 pages)
- Assessment 2: Part A: A. THE VISION OF YOUR SCHOOL OR DISTRICT IS ANALYZED COMPLETELY AND ACCURATELY. BCPS Vision Statement: “Baltimore County Public Schools will be among the highest performing school systems in the nation as a result of creating, sustaining, and investing in a culture of deliberate excellence for every student, every school, and every community.” 1. In addition to the above, the BCPS website states, “To develop its five-year strategic plan, Baltimore County Public Schools held a series of staff and community meetings to gain input into the plan 's development, appointed a staff person to oversee the plan 's development and production, and created a mechanism for the commu... [tags: High school, Secondary school, Public school]
2787 words (8 pages)