As a young child growing up in the city that never sleeps could be a dream, that was reality for her. Jayla’s hometown was Brooklyn, New York. She loved being around all her family and friends. Jayla would often run the streets with her cousins getting into all kinds of trouble. Growing up with only one parent she wasn’t apart of the wealthiest family. The school system Jayla was enrolled in wasn’t very good either. It didn’t keep the student grounded, the teachers didn’t expect high standards and they didn’t uphold values in the students either. Jayla didn’t pay it all any attention as a child her goal was to have fun and live freely. In the seventh grade her beloved dream came to an end when her mom received a job offer in Baltimore, Maryland.
Brooklyn, New York is a beautiful place to live, but it is not an ideal place to raise a child as a single mother. Yolanda, Jayla’s mother, was working multiple jobs in order to provide for herself and Jayla. Yolanda was currently in college as a Criminal Justice major but to raise Jayla she needed money so she had to work and go to school at the same time. While Jayla’s mom was working, friends and family would always surround Jayla. Jayla’s grandmother mostly took care of her, Grandma D she called her. “Grandma D always took me to school and picked me up, I love her so much”. When her mother couldn’t attend school events Grandma D would always go for her. Although Jayla’s grandmother did the best she could with helping to raise Jayla, she couldn’t escape all the trouble. She would casually get into minor fights in school and sometimes even get in trouble with the teachers. Even though Yolanda had a lot going on when she did have enough time on her hands she spent every...
... middle of paper ...
...r than ever.
At the end of the move and with Jayla still living in Baltimore, Maryland she is now twenty years old she still doesn’t like the fact she had to move. But on the contrary she knows she is a better person because of it. She says “if it wasn’t for me moving I probably would have been a rough-neck like my cousins back in New York”. This move help with the upbringing of Jayla and it helped Yolanda provide a more stable lifestyle for her daughter to live. In the future Jayla would like to move back to New York because they have more opportunities in the career she wants to pursue; which is a radio host. If it weren’t for the move “I wouldn’t be who I am today”. Jayla plans to take the morals and values she was taught while she was in Baltimore back to New York with her to influence her cousins and other family members that can or need to do better.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Dear cockroaches who attacked me, on the streets of Brooklyn, New York City, I hate you, I hate you in ways you wouldn’t imagine, I’m not sure you have an imagination. But that’s beside the point. Before I get to bashing you I just want to tell you a little about myself, speaking of the circumstances we didn’t get the proper introduction. I’m a Chicago girl, I’ve only come across bugs when every I go into basements and I can tell you I don’t do that much often. I’ve been afraid of butterflies, grass hoppers and other insects since well who knows when.... [tags: New York City, Chicago]
1028 words (2.9 pages)
- Different Media uses city features for various reasons to get a message and/or intended feeling across to an audience. The use of semiotics, ‘the study of signs and symbols’ is one the most effective way of portraying the understanding within a media and how it’s meaning is interpreted and created. “In semiotics, denotation and connotation are terms describing the relationship between the signifier and its signified, and an analytic distinction is made between two types of signifieds: a denotative signified and a connotative signified.” (Chandler: 2007) ‘Tsotsi’ is a 2005 South African film.... [tags: New York City, New York, Light, Connotation]
1361 words (3.9 pages)
- New York is most famous and highly crowded city of the United States. New York has so many men made creatures which you will not able to see anywhere else in the United States. It starts with 102 story Empire State building, 24 hrs open Time Square, Number of museums, amazing Brooklyn bridge which connects Manhattan and Brooklyn and can 't complete without magnificent sculpture of the US is the Statue of Liberty. How to get there By flight There are three airports near by city. John F Kennedy International airport and Newark Liberty International airport and all are offering both domestic and international flights.... [tags: New York City, Manhattan, Empire State Building]
1024 words (2.9 pages)
- Fly-In Program: Local attractions and places to visit in New York. New York, the city that never sleeps, offers a million of exciting local attractions to see and thrilling places to visit. The astonishing museums and historic landmarks, and the skyscrapers with breathtaking panoramic views promise a phenomenal New York experience. Along with the complete orthopedic care and treatment, our Fly-in program offers guidelines for a complete and positive visit to the Big Apple. This section of the Fly-In program introduces the most attractive spots in New York City that a person who just underwent an orthopedic treatment can easily enjoy while still in recovery.... [tags: New York City, Manhattan]
734 words (2.1 pages)
- Dear cockroach who attacked me, on the streets of Brooklyn, New York City, I hate you. I hate you in ways in which you couldn’t imagine. Your tiny little cockroach brain would struggle to hold such creativity. Let’s just agree to disagree. Imagination ends and begin with human life in which, you are not. There shouldn’t be any ambiguity surrounding this fact. This is beside the point. This letter isn’t to make amends, isn’t to bash your very existence. It is simply to inform you of your wrongdoings.... [tags: New York City, Chicago, English-language films]
1169 words (3.3 pages)
- New York City Every time I hear this song it makes me long to leave all of my responsibilities and head off to the city of dreams. A trip to New York has been a dream of mine since I was a little girl. I have always wanted to visit the place of tall buildings, history, and where culture is intertwined with its people. I have wanted to live the fast pace life of a New Yorker, where I could stand outside and see, smell, and taste all of the experiences that this city has to offer. I have been building and building this ideal image in my mind for so long.... [tags: Personal Narrative Writing Descriptive NYC]
1730 words (4.9 pages)
- The saying “God sleeps in Rwanda” is often voiced by the people of Rwanda. Some, when speaking, mean that God comes to rest in in their country because of its high altitude and abundance of hills. The majority, however, sincerely mean that God works everywhere else in the world, except for Rwanda. After years of genocide, ethnic tension, and extreme poverty, this sentiment is understandable. A Thousand Hills to Heaven, written by Josh Ruxin in 2013, recounts an American couple’s experience with international development in Rwanda.... [tags: genocide, mortality, africa]
2139 words (6.1 pages)
- The job description of a market manager is fairly self-explanatory. A market manager has to strategically figure out ways to improve a products ' appeal to a variety of audiences. That individual must organize a creative team that can research/analyze data to come out with logical, entertaining, and informative guidelines for an effective product. Market managers are tasked with calculating the best "pricing strategy" to make sure the organization he is with is in the best situation to benefit from the most.... [tags: Leadership, Management, New York City]
1454 words (4.2 pages)
- Meta: New York is known as the city that never sleeps, now thanks to Espresso, players can experience a game that carries the very same theme. Miss Liberty is nothing short of all action, but is it worth taking a bite out of the big apple. Miss Liberty Review Miss Liberty is a fun little slot machine from Espresso with a New York theme, which as you can probably guess, is all centred around Lady Liberty herself. Considering that this game is based around the city that never sleeps, you are right to expect it to come packed with great gameplay and big time winning potential.... [tags: New York City, Statue of Liberty, Slot machine]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- Having lived in two different cities for some years gives me an insight to what the difference between the life in a big city and countryside are all about. The city of New York is significantly different from the city of Winston Salem in North Carolina. Some of their dissimilarities can be seen in lifestyle, transportation, job availability and crime rate. The life style and enthusiasm in Winston Salem is slow pace. Some days, mostly on weekends, the roads are almost empty; you see few or no car on the streets.... [tags: Urban, Suburban, Rural]
594 words (1.7 pages)