The Queensland region recently suffered its worst drought in over a century. This period was shared with a rapid increase in the city’s population. A combination of severe drought and a rapid increase in population had a permanent impact on the city’s water management strategy. Brisbane population is expected to reach 4.5 million by 2050.
This report aims to look at how the relationship between Brisbane’s water resources and population growth have effected society, the economy and the environment. It will briefly look at the growth rate of Brisbane’s population how this subsequently affected the city’s ability to meet challenges in water demand. The report will critically analyse the State Government five water management strategies. It will explore whether the strategies are environmentally sustainable in the growing population. It will aim to determine whether the strategies effective in protecting the state’s biophysical resource. The report will critically evaluate the current and potential impacts of water management strategies to the biophysical resource base.
2. Population growth and water supply
The population growth of Brisbane has widely been viewed mark of economic prosperity (Wasimi, 2010). The Australian Labor government national policy encouraged population growth by giving financial incentives for people to have more children and encouraging migration (Lowe, 2010). However, the growth affected the city’s capacity to cope with growing demand for water. Brisbane’s water consumption is divided into ‘direct’ such as household water and ‘indirect’ such as commercial use (Rutherford and Finlayson, 2011). Brisbane’s water consumption growing rapidly due to the urban affluent lifestyle such ...
... middle of paper ...
... (1), p437–447.
Rutherfurd, I and Finlayson, B (2011) 'Whither Australia: Will Availability of Water Constrain the Growth of Australia’s Population?', Geographical Research , 49(3), pp. p301–316.
Spearritt, R. (2009). THE 200 KM CITY: BRISBANE, THE GOLD COAST, AND SUNSHINE COAST. Australian Economic History Review. 49 (1), p87-106.
Tam. V, Tamb. L and S.X. Zengc. (2009). Cost effectiveness and tradeoff on the use of rainwater tank: An empirical study in Australian residential decision-making. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. 54 (1), p178-186.
The Water & Carbon Group Pty Ltd. (2013). Sewage Treatment. Available: http://www.waterandcarbon.com.au/services/sewage-treatment. Last accessed 6th April 2014.
Wasimi, S 2010, 'Planning for a large dam project: the case of Traveston Crossing Dam', Water Resources Management, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 2991-3015.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction The Coca-Cola Company was founded in 1892. Since its inception, the organization has seen a steady increase in its market share over the years, and to this day has operations in over 200 countries worldwide. To achieve such success in its competitive market, Coca-Cola has employed sound strategies that have helped it become among the leaders in its industry. The Coca-Cola Company utilizes Market Based Management (MBM) techniques as well as Value Driven Management (VDM) techniques within the organization and in its market to help the firm sustain its stronghold of the market.... [tags: MBM & VDM Strategies]
1315 words (3.8 pages)
- Any discussion of contemporary environmental crises, which result from humanities interaction with the environment, can be a tricky discussion. Many international reports and conferences are indicating that global environmental problems are intensifying (Bailes, 1985) . A German writer in the 18th century summed up our predicament when he said “ nature, we are embraced by her , and are powerless to separate ourselves from her” (Bailes, 1985), this is representative of the essentiality behind human interaction towards nature, not only for our survival , but for the maintenance of nature itself.... [tags: environmental issues and crises]
1218 words (3.5 pages)
- Management Strategies for Retail Market Management The newspaper headlines often bring about a clue regarding the status of the economy on a daily basis. We hear from newscasts on the radio and on the television of distressing news of the market rising and dropping daily and just about every website have news regarding the impending gloom of the economy both locally and globally. Corporations cannot hide from budget cutbacks and organizational restructuring and it is inevitable that any improvement will be for the good of preserving the company.... [tags: Business Management]
2631 words (7.5 pages)
- Projects may be complex due to requiring the engagement of stakeholders. By using project management techniques such as the cyclical nature to stakeholder engagement as they come and go during the project lifecycle which is illustrated by a diagram which is in the workbook project success may be accomplished: •Classifying key stakeholders into groups according to their interest in or influence on a project is a useful tool and allows engagement strategies for like groups to be developed and implemented.... [tags: Project management, Management, Project team]
757 words (2.2 pages)
- Organizational change in public relations is universal as organizations try to adapt to a changing society and push for competitive advantage. In order for this to be successful, and organization is required to have strong leadership in place for unpredictable outcomes. Leadership in public relations can strengthen the profession and contribute to organizational effectiveness. The primary question is “What does leadership in public relations really means and what qualities does that leader need to have to be successful?” For that reason, I have watched four video interviews with distinguished public relations leaders.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Skill]
858 words (2.5 pages)
- Stress is a part of daily living. It is a condition or feeling experienced when a person perceives that demands exceed the personal and social resources the individual is able to mobilize. Stress can be very overwhelming and at times take control of your life. In order to take control of the stress you are experiencing, it is important to apply strategies into your daily routine that will help you cope with the stress and get it under control. Over the past few weeks, I have used many different coping strategies to deal with my anxiety and lack of sleep.... [tags: exersice, time, management, healthier, eating]
1105 words (3.2 pages)
- Effective management strategies and responsible human resource are solutions to control work stress related problems. Today, most of us have to wake up and rush early in the morning, to go to work, attend to our families, do house works, accomplish unending chores etc.. And often than not, after all the work we did all day, ironically, we will call it a day by planning for the next day and rewarding our self with late night sleeps. Our shoulders are just heavily loaded with responsibilities. However, we find satisfaction and life purpose in accomplishing something, especially when doing it makes us feel happy or we love and enjoy what we do.... [tags: Employment, Job interview, Management]
916 words (2.6 pages)
- 1.Different schools of thought provide perspectives on behavior and behavior management. Chapter 1, Basic Concepts of Behavior and Behavior Management, presented an overview of behavioral, psychological, and sociological approaches to behavior management. Compare two of these approaches and explain how their perspectives are similar or different with regard to behavior, behavior problems, discipline, attitude, responsibility, and consequences. This candidate believes that the behavioral approach and the psychoanalytic approaches have a few similarities and differences, when it comes to behavior management.... [tags: Behavior Management ]
1091 words (3.1 pages)
- Time Management Strategies Time management has been one of the greatest hurdles of my scholastic career. Sadly it improves gradually. Procrastination was the name of the game for me for a while. Needless to say, I had poor time management skills. I would often wonder why I would let myself do this almost every time I had to do something. I didn’t like the trend I was in and I needed another way to get things done. Then I realized that being a procrastinator only hindered my potential of becoming the student I knew I could be.... [tags: Time Management Skills]
2092 words (6 pages)
- Working Capital Strategies Abstract The following content provided will include information regarding Nikes Inc. cash management strategies, which will include more in depth information from the previous group paper. In addition, working capital recommendations will be provided to senior management base on next year’s in the pro-forma financial statements.... [tags: Nike Strategy Management ]
1247 words (3.6 pages)