Bridge to Terabithia includes many positive elements. One thing is when Jess helps Leslie by becoming her friend. Then, Leslie helps Jess when he has anger problems and she calms him down. There are also some negative elements. One of these is that Jess is treated poorly by his family. Another is that the book’s tragedy could have been prevented.
Katherine Paterson was born in Qing Jiang, China and was born on October 24, 1932. Her dad was a principal of an all girl’s school called Sutton. When Katherine was five, she and her family were forced to leave China during the Japanese Invasion in 1937. They moved to Richmond, Virginia. Then they moved back to China where they were forced to leave again, but this time they moved to North Carolina. Katherine is a Presbyterian Christian. Her occupation is a novelist. Katherine is also an award winning American Author of books for children. Bridge to Terabithia is the most recognized book worldwide. Bridge to Terabithia was published in 1977. Right now she is the vice-president of the National Children’s Book and Literacy Alliance. Bridge to Terabithia was made into a movie, in fact twice. The first movie was made in 1985 and then in 2007. The 2007 movie is a Disney Walden Media Co-Production. She writes books that tackle topics such as...
... middle of paper ...
Problem 1: Jess’s family doesn’t appreciate him.
Solution 1: After the death of Leslie, everyone learns to be more appreciative and that life is fragile.
Problem 2: Jess and Leslie get bullied.
Solution 2: They fought back but end up helping the person they were bullied by.
Problem 3: Leslie dies and Jess can’t get over it.
Solution 3: Jess accepts the fact that she died and builds a new relationship with his little sister.
Complacent: Feeling or showing complacency.
Dregs: The worthless part.
Dumbfounded: To strike dumb with amazement.
Foundling: A deserted infant of unknown parentage.
Garish: Bright and showy.
Parapets: A low wall about the edge of a roof.
Prescribed: To order medical treatment.
Regicide: The killing of a king.
Speculation: A theory or conjecture.
Vile: Very bad.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Katherine Patterson’s Bridge to Terabithia All children can relate in someway to Katherine Patterson’s Newberry Medal-winning children’s novel, Bridge to Terabithia. The characters are realistic people who could be one’s next door neighbors. From the shy and demure Jess to the vivacious and carefree Leslie, every kid can relate to one of the characters in this novel. The themes in this novel vary as much as the characters. Bridge to Terabithia is a good coming-of-age book that captures our imaginations and our hearts.... [tags: Bridge Terabithia Patterson Essays]
1101 words (3.1 pages)
- When the word childhood comes up, a few former memories begin to resonate. When adults reflect on their own childhood, they are likely to think of innocence, taking naps, wild fancy, and the idea of simple pleasures. However today’s children tend to not be thought of with these characteristics. They are usually assumed to be spoiled rats that lack most good behaviors. Our youngsters are supposedly being molded by culture and don’t display any ideals that past generations respected. Yet young adults and earlier generations can reason that childhood is as much present as it has ever been.... [tags: childhood, Katherine Paterson, children]
1070 words (3.1 pages)
- When the word childhood is mentioned, a few synonyms come to mind. Adults when looking back at their own childhood, tend to think of innocence, being carefree, taking naps, a wild imagination, and the idea of simple pleasures. However today’s children tend to not be thought of with these characteristics. They are typically understood as spoiled, that lack most good morals. Ones that are being molded by culture and don’t display any values that past generation’s childhood had. However young adults and earlier generations can argue that childhood is as much present as it has ever been.... [tags: Katherine Paterson, Literary Analysis]
1020 words (2.9 pages)
- There are many main themes in Bridge to Terabithia. One of the most important is Jesse and Leslie's magical kingdom in the woods called Terabithia. Terabithia is a small castle they built in the woods where they go to escape and have magical adventures. The "bridge" is a rope they use to swing over the dry creek. Another main theme is Jesse running every morning during the summer so he can be the fastest runner in fifth grade, only to be beat by Leslie, the new girl in town. One more theme is Jesse being the only boy in his house.... [tags: essays research papers]
672 words (1.9 pages)
- Bridge to Terabithia” is set in rural Virginia in the mid-1970's. The story revolves around characters; the Aarons, the Burkes, the students and faculty in the elementary school. Jess Aaron, is one of the central characters. He has four sisters, two older and two younger leaving him in the middle. Brenda and Ellie are the older teenage sisters that have a strong bond with their mother and don’t pay much mind to Jess. Joyce Ann and May Belle are his little sisters that look up to Jess. Mr. Aarons is always away from home working in a city nearby leaving Mrs.... [tags: essays research papers]
826 words (2.4 pages)
- This takes place in a small town in the 1970's. It is based on a boy named Jesse Aarons but he is called Jess. He cannot wait until fifth grade starts because he will be the fastets runner, he even practiced all summer. He has two older sisters and two younger sisters. His older sisters never seem to do anything and are always ridiculing him. His younger sisters look up to him, mostly May Belle though. Jess's dad works in Washington ans so he is gone during the day a lot. It is up to Jess to milk their cow Miss Bessie everyday.... [tags: essays research papers]
784 words (2.2 pages)
- A bridge is a structure ,built by many different materials, to travel over physical objects. For example, bridges were made over bodies of water, roads or intersections, and valleys. The first welded road bridge was designed by Polish engineer Stefan Bryla in 1927.There is an average of about 607,380 bridges throughout the Unites States. There are many different bridges throughout the world and there is also different causes for bridges. There are also many different designs that all have different purposes and apply to different situations.... [tags: Bridge, Bridges, Box girder bridge]
1023 words (2.9 pages)
- Introduction A bridge is required to span a gorge in New Guinea. The goal of this project is to design a bridge that meets the requirements for that bridge and then construct and test that bridge on a 1:20 scale. The requirements for the bridge are that it has to span across the 600mm (12m to scale) wide gorge which has two square flat areas on either side of the bridge which are 100mm (2m to scale) wide. The bridge must be able to hold the maximum possible weight while remaining as light as possible.... [tags: Bridge, Truss, Truss bridge, Covered bridge]
1773 words (5.1 pages)
- Friendship can be shown through the words of anyone in any form, whether it is short or long, in a simple poem to a complicated novel, even in a simple common book such as, Bridge to Terabithia. The author, Paterson, uses many of reasonable literary elements in her book, such elements encompass: character, plot, setting, theme, style, point of view, and tone. These seven elements show us that friendship between the main characters, Jesse and Leslie, in Bridge to Terabithia, although interrupted by many everyday occurrences, can develop quickly, without one's realization.... [tags: World Literature]
1106 words (3.2 pages)
- Chapter summaries In chapter fiveMay Belle's dad gives her some Twinkies. On the bus Janice Avery (the school bully) hears May Belle telling Billy Jean (May Belle's best friend) about the Twinkies. At recess time May Belle comes to Jess saying that Janice stole them. May Belle says, "Kill her!" and calls Jess yeller. Jess and Leslie get back at Janice Avery by writing a love letter and signing it Willard Hughes. It told her to meet him outside after school. The hard part was getting the note inside her desk.... [tags: essays research papers]
1212 words (3.5 pages)