The first question to ask when you read an article is the one with the most obvious answer: “Who wrote this?” This is the rhetor, and it has two parts: the author, the one who actually sat down to write the piece and whose name’s at the top of the page; and the others, those that helped the author by adding to their argument through evidence or support (Grant-Davie 269). As high school students preparing to enter the wonderful world of college research papers, it’s important to understand who’s making the points you reference in your own work, and you can do that by analyzing the rhetors. An exam...
... middle of paper ...
...assroom, critical reading allows you to avoid the traps set by many arguers to get unmerited support. Though I don’t know when the legal drinking age will be lowered, if ever, I do know one thing for certain — understanding rhetorical situations will help you separate fact from fluff in any piece of writing or reporting on the topic.
Cloud, John. “Should the Drinking Age Be Lowered?” TIME. Time Inc., 6 Jun. 2008. Web. 9 Sep. 2013.
Grant-Davie, Keith. “Rhetorical Situations and Their Constituents.” Rhetoric Review 15.2 (Spring 1997): 266-70. Print.
Shields, Wade. “Lowering Drinking Age Can Help Promote Safer Habits.” The Daily Wildcat. The Arizona Daily Wildcat, 3 Sep. 2013. Web. 9 Sep. 2013.
Ziskind, Jeremy. “Pro & Con Arguments: "Should the Drinking Age Be Lowered from 21 to a Younger Age?".” ProCon.org. ProCon.org, 6 Aug. 2013. Web. 9 Sep. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Although many aspects are taken into account to form a political system and create outcomes that will improve the strength of a nation, none are more controversial than the debate on voting age and if modifications should be made. Minimum voting age can be argued as the most effective way to ensure a sufficiently adroit electorate. However even if voting was lowered to a particular age, this would not affect the outcome of voter turn-out, considering the many other age groups choosing not to vote, or even non-resident/citizens being restricted to this opportunity for that matter.... [tags: Election, Voter turnout, Elections, Voting]
1498 words (4.3 pages)
- The concept of global warming has become one of the most widely debated and controversial topics of our time. Scientists learned long ago that the earth’s climate has powerfully shaped the history of humanity. However, it is only in the past few decades that research has revealed that humans have a significant influence on the climate as well. A growing body of scientific evidence indicates that since 1950, the world’s climate has been warming, primarily as a result of emissions from the burning of fossil fuels and the destruction of tropical forests.... [tags: Climate Change Debate]
2263 words (6.5 pages)
- Teenagers have the highest average of annual traffic violations than any other age group in the U.S. (Teen Drivers:Get The Facts). This may be one reason why over 100 countries, including most of Europe, have a minimum driving age set at 18. Although the debate over raising the driving age to 18, in the U.S, has been an ongoing argument for many years, researchers have found that raising the driving age would drastically impact the U.S in a positive way. (McBride). Parents say that this would be a benefit because teens would be held responsible for their own actions, since they would be an adult, and parent involvement would no longer be necessary.... [tags: Driver's license, Driver's education, Adolescence]
1051 words (3 pages)
- ... Work breakdown is an essential tool in project management. Project manager make very good use of the WBS. That is to say, it helps them manage the project efficiently. Another quality of PM is that they continue to keep the assignment smaller so as to be able to control every aspect of the project as required. When assignment or work are cut down into smaller unit, PM turn to have full control and are very comfortable in doing their job effectively. How does the WBS contribute to the success of a project.... [tags: Project management, Work breakdown structure]
787 words (2.2 pages)
- ... Based on GURU, the WBS concludes that it is a merely descriptive of all the activities function as an achievement (GURU n.d.). Not Only the exertion of WBS has a practical significance, but it also well structure in a multi-level arrangement to achieve a target or tangible outcome or profit. WBS constituents support the Project Manager PM, coordinator and task cohorts in building up a clear prophecy of a positive upshot of the project and of the general procedure by which it will be made (Frame 2007).... [tags: Project management, Work breakdown structure]
1423 words (4.1 pages)
- Most people have heard about the debate in the U.S. about lowering the current drinking age. A lot of people believe that it should be lowered, but also there are a considerable amount of people who think it should stay the same. This debate has been going on for several years now and it seems like there will be no change as of now. The drinking age in the United States is currently 21, however, for several reasons it should be lowered to 18. People find it bizarre that the tobacco age is 18, but the drinking age is 21.... [tags: Drinking Age]
822 words (2.3 pages)
- The Legal Voting Age Debate The legal age of voting currently stands at eighteen. This is an age, which has previously been lowered from twenty-one due to a statute reform. There are many reasons for the reform of a statute, one being the attitude changes that are presented over time, making the laws, or statutes become outdated. This was indeed the case when women were given the vote. It had previously been assumed that a woman's vote would be controlled by a man, if unmarried her father, if married then her husband.... [tags: Politics, Policies, Argumentative]
324 words (0.9 pages)
- The Debate Over the Legal Drinking Age College life is filled with changes. It is filled with many new experiences. As college students, we are on our own, adults. As adults we are responsible for keeping up to date on information that affects us. One issue that affects college students nation wide is drinking. The current legal drinking age in the United States is twenty-one years of age. The Federal government raised the legal drinking age from 18 to 21 in 1984. Even with the current drinking age at twenty-one, many people under that age choose to drink anyway.... [tags: Alcohol Essays Research Papers]
1747 words (5 pages)
- In the middle Ages, it was called melancholia. In the early 1900s, it was known as neurasthenia. From the 1930s to about 1970, it was known as a nervous breakdown. "Nervous breakdown" is a term that the public uses to characterize a range of mental illnesses, but generally it describes the experience of "snapping" under massive pressure, mental collapse or mental and physical exhaustion. Have you ever wondered how you can tell if someone is having a nervous breakdown. Or what causes them or how they're caused.... [tags: Nervous Breakdown Mental Collapse Stress]
443 words (1.3 pages)
- Family Breakdown Many problems affect our society, and each problem presents us with different challenges and obstacles. The most prevalent of these problems are crime, poverty, and poor education. Collectively, society looks toward the government to intervene and find a solution to these problems. This is easily illustrated by reflecting back to our last presidential election. The two candidates, George Bush and Al Gore, gave their views and outlined the agendas they hoped to implement in order to resolve society’s problems.... [tags: Papers]
1021 words (2.9 pages)