The ability to interact directly with the human brain came about due to advances in cognitive neuroscience and brain imaging technologies. This is all made possible with the use of sensors that can monitor some of the physical processes which take place within the brain and correspond with certain forms of thought. Once such technology which have arisen due to these advances is the brain computer interface (BCI). This is also referred to as brainwave computing, thought controlled computing, mind controlled computing or thought interpreting computer software and programming, (Shah, 2014).
It functions as communication systems which do not depend on the normal outputs pathway of the brain which consists of peripheral nerves and muscles. However, the user manipulates their brain activities without using any form of motor movements to produce signals. These signals are used to control the computers or communication devices. The development of BCI was driven by a societal recognition to provide resources for needs of individuals with physical disabilities, (Tan & Nijholt, 2010). This technology bypasses any form of touch or voice where the programmes or computers are instructed by thoughts from the user.
There are two different categories of brain imaging technologies: invasive technologies where sensors are implanted directly on or in the brain and the non-invasive technologies which measure the activity of the brain using sensors. The invasive method provide a high temporal and spatial resolution, they only cover very small sections of the brain. This method requires a surgical procedure to be carried out, which could lead to medical complications as the body adapts to or does not adapt to the implants. Once...
... middle of paper ...
...ipatory planning while building awareness and providing information on the opportunities and challenges.
Shah, H. (2014, February 10). The New Security Threats in the Age of the Brain Computer Interface. Retrieved April 24, 2014, from http://futuristablog.com/new-security-threats-age-brain-computer-interface/
Tan, D., & Nijholt, A. (2010). Brain-Computer Interfaces and Human-Computer Interaction. doi:10.1007/978-1-84996-272-8_1,
TheWeekStaff. (2012, August 28). How future criminals could hack your brain and steal your PIN. Retrieved April 24, 2014, from http://theweek.com/article/index/232489/how-future-criminals-could-hack-your-brain-and-steal-your-pin
Velloso, G. T. (2012). Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) methodological proposal to assess the impacts of medical applications in 2022. Enterprise and Work Innovation Studies. Retrieved April 24, 2014
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- BRAIN COMPUTER INTERFACE The ability to interact directly with the human brain came about due to advances in cognitive neuroscience and brain imaging technologies. This is all made possible with the use of sensors that can monitor some of the physical processes which take place within the brain and correspond with certain forms of thought. Once such technology which have arisen due to these advances is the brain computer interface (BCI). This is also referred to as brainwave computing, thought controlled computing, mind controlled computing or thought interpreting computer software and programming, (Shah, 2014).... [tags: human brain, imaging technologies]
1367 words (3.9 pages)
- From Toys to Practicality: Brain Computer Interface Technology The idea of Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) technology holds promise for a wide-range of medical and non-medical applications (Figure 1); from disabled individuals experiencing considerable physical impairments, developing gaming and virtual reality (VR) environments to impacting safety and security in the civilian and military sectors (L´ecuyer et al., 2008; Leeb, Friedman, & Pfurtsheller, G, 2007; Sanjay, 2013; Velloso, 2012). This emerging technology is known by various terminologies, such as BCI, Direct Brain Interface (DBI), Brain-Machine Interface (BMI), and neuro-brain transmission.... [tags: BCI, technology, VR, disability]
2301 words (6.6 pages)
- Until recently, our relationship with technology has been limited to physical and direct command. To get a device to take action, you must touch it, or speak to it. All of this could change with this new technology called, brain-computer interfaces. This amazing technology will not only revamp military applications, but most importantly help the medical community substantially. It brings the possibility of sound to the deaf, sight to the blind and movement to the physically challenged.... [tags: Brain-Computer Interface]
1228 words (3.5 pages)
- Interfaces take places into our lives in the form of the various devices, analog or digital, with whom we normally establish some kind of interaction. This means that the interfaces are "tools" extenders for our bodies, such as computers, cell phones, elevators, etc. The concept of interface is applicable to any situation or process where the exchange or transfer of information takes place. Some of the ways of thinking to the interface might be like “the area or place of interaction between two different systems not necessarily a technological system”.... [tags: Medical Research]
1772 words (5.1 pages)
- Many people have iPads, smart phones, and PDAs. The challenge to create an effective interface can be quite difficult. These small devices contain powerful technologies that make the lives of the user easy by allowing instant access to the Internet. With this access, almost any sort of information is available. However, without the use of the keyboard or computer mouse, the WIMP interface (Windows, Icons, Menus, and Pointers) becomes useless. Fortunately, the technological world has adapted to these changes by creating new interfaces.... [tags: Technology ]
1818 words (5.2 pages)
- Owning a gaming computer is one of the best investments a person can make in their life. Having a gaming computer can greatly influence one’s entertainment ranges and personal hobbies. Every gamer or anyone who occasionally games should have a gaming computer instead of a gaming console. A gaming console only provides people with basic programs and simple user interface while a gaming computer can be used for any needs one need. A gaming computer is one’s own cable box but better. Having a gaming computer you can have it fully customized to fit whatever theme you would like it to fit, can run many programs and other applications faster than a console, and can be loaded with a plethora of mul... [tags: Computer, Personal computer, Video game console]
1335 words (3.8 pages)
- Before you buy a Computer Buying a computer is no easy task, you want to make sure you’re making the right purchase so you don’t blow your money on something that stops meeting your demands. Not all machines are created equal, and unless you’re pretty familiar with computer hardware, which is the physical aspect of computers, telecommunications, and other devices, you might have a hard time determining just how unequal they are. If you often need your computer on the go, the choice is simple: laptop.... [tags: Computer, Personal computer]
724 words (2.1 pages)
- Server Hardware The Server Computer The hardware’s in a server computer are very similar to those found in common client computers. However, server computers are designed to perform complex functions using high-grade computing components. These components include motherboard, processor, network connection, memory, hard drive, power supply and video adapter. The computer’s main electrical circuit is located on the motherboard. The other key components found in the motherboard include the CPU, chipset, graphics adapter, standard IDE hardware controllers, networking interface, I/O ports, expansion slots and memory.... [tags: Personal computer, Computer, Hewlett-Packard]
907 words (2.6 pages)
- The Components of a Computer and Information Processing System In today’s world, computers are everywhere. People use them in a wide range of ways in every aspect of life whether it is interacting with friends, cooking a meal, or transferring funds from one account to another. However, many people do not think about the many aspects of computing and the various devices and software that are part of the information process. Basics of the Computer A computer is a device that can be programmed to perform a specific operation.... [tags: Computer Science]
905 words (2.6 pages)
- Abstract — There are a number of people in the world who suffer from disabilities which prevent them from being able to use traditional means to control a computer. For these people, alternate forms of input are required. One potential input device is an Electroencephalography machine which can be used to detect patterns of brain activity and use these patterns to trigger events on a computer such as mouse clicks or keyboard presses. This allows those without the use of their hands to be able to control a computer without invasive surgery.... [tags: Computer Technology]
1291 words (3.7 pages)