On April 20, 2010 a BP-licensed oil rig located in the Gulf of Mexico exploded and killed 11 people (Kinver, 2011). In addition to the people killed, the oil spill released 4.9 million barrels of oil into the Gulf (Kinver, 2011). At the time, the effect on the environment, people, and BP were not fully realized.
It is known that the Gulf of Mexico is home to many different types of wildlife including shrimp, fish, and pelicans. Although it is still too early to measure the full impact of the spill, scientists are doing their best to study it. Some conclude that the long-term effects could be devastating while others figure that it will not be as bad as originally speculated (Kinver, 2011).
In addition to the wildlife, the people of the Gulf area experienced great loss as a result of the oil spill. Many of the residents rely on the fishing industry either directly or indirectly. Since the fishing industry took a hit, the people and towns suffered as well. In fact, many of the people have left and businesses shutdown (Dymond, 2012).
The oil spill of April 20, 2010 was the worst in U.S. history (“BP p.l.c.,” 2012). While BP learned many valuable lessons from t...
... middle of paper ...
...rieved from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17186786
Gulf of Mexico Restoration. (n.d.). Retrieved on April 7, 2012, from www.bp.com
Hoover’s, Inc. (2012). BP p.l.c. Overview. Retrieved April 7, 2012, from Hoover’s database.
Jennings, M. (2010). What bp teaches us about ethics, risk, and business management. Corporate Finance and Review, 15 (2), 38.
Kinver, M. (2011, April, 19). BP oil spill: The environmental impact one year later. BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13123036
Raymond, M. A. and Tanner, J. (n.d.). Principles of marketing. Retrieved from
Vranica, S. (2010, June 7). BP steps up bid to fix image: Company readies series of tv spots to address its response to gulf oil spill. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved from ABI/Inform Global
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Many businesses that sell seafood had to cut back on it for the past few months. It has been since April that businesses are now selling shellfish back on the menu for a somewhat reasonable price. A major incident occurred just two days before Earth Day. The incident is well known as the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, or as many others call it, the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. The Deepwater Horizon drilling rig along the Gulf of Mexico is an oil-spill that resulted from an explosion that is under contract with BP, leading up to over million barrels of oil spilling into the Gulf of Mexico.... [tags: Environment Oil Spill]
1467 words (4.2 pages)
- Most people believe that one man-made natural disaster would teach us to be better, but we have learned that history repeats itself. The Exxon Valdez oil spill (in 1989) and the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, or BP oil spill, (in 2010) were both devastating oil spills that shocked the nation. The Exxon Valdez oil spill occurred due to a tanker grounding. The BP oil spill was caused by an explosion on the Deepwater Horizon oil platform. These two oil spills were both disasters and had greater effects in certain categories.... [tags: oil spill, exxon, bp oil, oil platforms]
863 words (2.5 pages)
- An oil spill of 4.9 million barrels, which happened in 2010, created not only turmoil for the environment, but caused the economy to take a great hit from the loss of an important raw material. Transocean were the owners of the oil rig drilling on behalf of BP, who were the ones at fault for the spill. This event caused a stir in both the government and non-governmental organizations, because of the extensive damage that it caused. Federal investigations were put under way to determine the factors that caused the spill and once the investigation was concluded several environmental groups began to target the company to portray them as negligent.... [tags: BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill]
3123 words (8.9 pages)
- On April 20, 2010, the event of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico caused 11 employees’ death, and around 35000 to 60000 barrels of oil were pouring into the ocean every day. Facts have been proven that any crisis must go along with the lack of risk management. Offshore oil drilling work is a high-risk occupation which requires strict obedience to the risk control management without any carelessness. In response to the disaster, identifying and assessing the potential risks and analyzing potential impacts are the priorities for the company to develop appropriate oil spill responses and perfect crisis management plans.... [tags: oil spill, deepwater horizon, planning]
562 words (1.6 pages)
- History • The Prestige, an oil tanker, was sinking in 2002 caused a large oil spill. • The spill polluted thousands of kilometres of coastline and more than one thousand beaches on the Spanish and French coast. • The Prestige was carrying more than 77,000 tons of oil cargo from Latvia to Gibraltar. • one of its twelve tanks burst during a storm off Galicia, in north western Spain. • The captain requested that the ship be led toward a port of refuge where it could transfer its cargo to another tanker.... [tags: Oil Spill History]
1362 words (3.9 pages)
- The Deep Horizon oil spill The Deep-water horizon oil spill is one of the largest oil spills in history. The spill occurred due to several factors including system failure and human error. The spill not only affected the wildlife and economy of the gulf but the entire United States as goods and service that were once available were no longer available. As a result of the oil spill Bp was forced to pay billions of dollars to restore the damages that they have caused. In addition, the oil and gas industry have changes there practices and are working with the government under new laws and regulation to prevent a future oil spill.... [tags: largest oil spills in history, system failure]
1069 words (3.1 pages)
- On April 20, 2010, the Deepwater Horizon oil rig, located in the Gulf of Mexico exploded killing 11 workers and injuring 17. The oil rig sank a day-and-a-half later. The spill was referred to as the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, BP oil spill, Gulf of Mexico oil spill, and BP oil disaster. It was first said that little oil had actually leaked into the ocean but a little over a month later the estimate was 12,000-19,000 barrels of crude oil being leaked per day. Many attempts were made to stop the leak but all failed until they capped the leak on July 15, 2010, and on September 19 the federal government declared the well “effectively dead.” In the three months that it took to finally put a sto... [tags: Deepwater Horizon Oil Rig, Gulf of Mexico]
1202 words (3.4 pages)
- In 2010, there was a huge oil spill near the Gulf of Mexico known today as the BP Oil Spill. Because of the spill sent about 170 million barrels of crude oil was sent into the Gulf of Mexico. As a result of the spill, 11 men were left dead. The BP Oil Spill significantly impacted the environment negatively. The spill caused pollution to the air and water and the food chain was contaminated. As a result of the polluted air and water due to the Oil Spill, the quality of the nearby the neighborhoods’ air and water was crucial.... [tags: gulf of mexico, enviornment, oil companies]
907 words (2.6 pages)
- ... That is why we keep reminding our customers that "SEVEN DAYS WITHOUT EXERCISE MAKES ONE WEAK". Secondly we believe there is no age limit and thus even persuade the workaholics who do sense their health condition but ignore it because of their responsibilities; we provide flexible timings and programs for our customers to achieve their satisfaction. We also provide our customers with their personal trainer if they wish for it that concentrates and helps only them so that they are satisfied with their work out.... [tags: product, sell, social concepts]
635 words (1.8 pages)
- Oil Spill Response Abstract This paper describes equipment and techniques for responding to oil spills. Various techniques for the containment, cleanup and recovery of oil spills are examined; advantages and disadvantages of each are considered. Along with providing insight for oil spill response, this paper discusses environmental factors which can contribute to the success or failure of a cleanup operation. Introduction: " Oil is the life blood of our modern industrial society. It fuels the machines and lubricates the wheels of the world’s production.... [tags: Nature Natural Oil Essays]
5767 words (16.5 pages)