Physics plays a major role in the game of basketball. Physics is the science that deals with properties of matter and energy. Whether it’s shooting, passing, or dribbling, to most studies in the game of basketball, the piece of the physics is seen in the shot and spin of the ball. There are two major types of shots that will help understand the effort it takes to dribble a basketball. The two types of shots could be a lay-up which is putting the ball up near the basket, and using one hand to bounce it off the backboard and into the basket. A jump shot is a jump used in the legs that leads to an arch in your shot. With these two types of shots, dribbling becomes easier to understand. How much force you put into your arm by pressing down on top of the ball helps the ball come up harder from the surface. For example, if you tried to bounce a ball on the carpet you’re going to have to use more force or energy to make the ball c...
... middle of paper ...
...s exert calories, such as playing a half hour, losing 120 calories within that half hour running up and down the courts. Having more calories can mean having more energy to do more things such as pushing the ball up and down the court watching the ball bounce, using the energy in your body.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I have chosen this career because there is nothing I would rather do than play the game of basketball for the rest my life. I started playing organized basketball in the sixth grade, and I have been in love with the game ever since. Here is a little history on basketball, The First type game may have been played by the early Olmec people of ancient Mexico as early as 500 years ago. The Aztec, and Mayan cultures also had a game similar to basketball, only instead of a rubber ball they used the decapitated skulls of their conquered foes.... [tags: Basketball, National Basketball Association]
1281 words (3.7 pages)
- Why is basketball the most difficult sport allow me to explain. First and foremost it is the most universal sport statistically and consist of 5 difficult task such as passing,rebounding,shooting,dribbling and defense.Along with other factors such as stamina,clutch,tenasity,power and speed. The purpose of rebounding is to successfully gain possession of the basketball after a missed shot or free throw, as it rebounds from the hoop or backboard. This is a important role in the game, as most possessions end when a team misses a shot or turnover.... [tags: Basketball, National Basketball Association]
1041 words (3 pages)
- As an instructor at the YMCA in Springfield, Massachusetts, James Naismith was tasked with keeping physical education students active through the winter by providing a challenging, vigorous activity that could be played indoors. While he first considered bringing outside games indoors, James invented a new game when he determined these sports were too rough for the gymnasium. For this reason, Naismith 's solution was to nail peach baskets to the balconies at each end of the International Young Men 's Christian Association and have a game that was non contact (hooptactics) .... [tags: Basketball, James Naismith, YMCA, Springfield]
705 words (2 pages)
- Every time you step on to the court its a challenge. Not only an individual challenge, but a team challenge to be the best. This is for the best two sports in the world, football and basketball. The glory of winning, but the agony of losing, is what separates the champs from contenders. There are truly two of sports we highlight in today culture. They are so popular that you see them all over the world, or maybe different version of them. There are truly die hard fans from not only these sports, but others world wide.... [tags: American football, Basketball, Ball]
851 words (2.4 pages)
- Soccer (Football) as known in most of the countries and Basketball both are sports that played at high schools and colleges in U.S.A. The physical body contact is a part of these two games. The similar points of both of them are not too much. Both soccer and basketball are sports need a stamina and mental strength to be played, but the childhood and the surrounding environment decide whether the person will prefer one of them over the other. It’s not very strange to find someone who likes and play both of the sports; although that soccer and basketball are played in different ages and it’s for both genders, the way that each game is played causes a various fans bases and that will affect the... [tags: Basketball, Association football, FIFA World Cup]
730 words (2.1 pages)
- James Naismith, born 11/6/1861, in Almonte, Ontario, Canada invented the greatest game of all time. Basketball was invented December 1891 at a YMCA gymnasium in Springfield, Massachusetts. The game was invented to be an indoor game for students to play during the cold winter months since there were no previous indoor game that could involve a whole class. Basketball started out with only 13 rules that were made by Naismith in 1891 and the rules have continued to grow and change up to present day.... [tags: physics sport sports basketball]
1868 words (5.3 pages)
- Bouncing Ball Investigation This is an experiment to investigate bouncing balls and how they behave in different situations. Few independent variables will be changed, so the investigation is easy to manage, and the data is easier to process. The first independent variable that will be tested. The tennis ball is the constant variable factor (the variable that is kept the same, to make the investigation valid). The ball will dropped from increasing heights (cm-25, 50, 75,100,125,150,175,200) and the bounce of the ball will be measured.... [tags: Papers]
2123 words (6.1 pages)
- Bouncing Ball Experiment A squash ball is a hollow ball made of rubber, with air inside. Before starting a game of squash, most players will "warm up" the ball by knocking it around the court. This raises the temperature of the ball and increases the "bounciness". In this experiment you can investigate the effect of temperature on the height to which a ball bounces. An alternative experiment is to investigate how the height of each successive bounce changes. Planning your experiment The height to which the ball bounces will depend on the initial height and the temperature, so you must decide which of the variables you are going to investigate and how you can e... [tags: Papers]
764 words (2.2 pages)
- The Beginning of Basketball Have you ever had an interest in how something was invented. An interest in how your favorite activity or hobby came about. Ever since I was introduced to sports and how competitive it was, I became hooked. I enjoy playing football, basketball, and baseball. Of the three main sports that I play, basketball seems to be my favorite. It challenges endurance, speed, accuracy, agility, and strength. I feel guilty not knowing who created the game that takes up most of my free-time.... [tags: History Basketball]
1192 words (3.4 pages)
- Basketball An out-line of the event or sport A brief out line of basketball is it is a game played with a pumped round ball between two teams of five players each on a rectangular court. In professional or minor competition basketball is usually played indoors, but it does not need to be. Each team tries to score by shooting the ball through the other teams goal at each end of the court, above their heads. The goal is a round hoop and net called a basket. The team scoring the most such throws, through field goals or foul shots, wins the game.... [tags: Art]
1903 words (5.4 pages)