By definition, bonus pay is a term that describes pay above stated compensation and may include performance-related pay. Bonus pay, as a part of a merit pay system, can provide rewards for workers who perform their jobs at, above and beyond measurable criteria as stated by policy makers. Used predominately in service-oriented careers such as teaching or sales marketing, bonus pay can richly reward employees for hard work but can also create various work-related issues at all levels of the organization. In this paper, I will describe my personal history of bonus pay to the reader, discuss a recent article published about bonus pay, explain the significance of bonus pay to employees and organizations alike, take a scriptural view on the topic and introduce my final view on the topic.
I was introduced to the concept of bonus pay first-hand when I was hired on at Convergys in Longview, Texas in June 2013. Bonus pay was awarded to employees at Convergys for meeting a variety of pre-assigned goals. These goals were updated monthly by both our organization as well as that of the company we were subcontracted to, AT&T. As a call center employee, we were required to take calls and assist AT&T customers in all aspects of their cellular phone services, broadband internet services and cable television services. We were expected to treat our customers with the upmost respect and give them the best possible solutions to fit their needs and desires. At Convergys in January 2014, bonus pay was viewed as a bonus incentive in addition to our base pay to entice us to go above and beyond the normal of our scope. Incentives were offered based on our performance in a number of different sco...
... middle of paper ...
...nd cons of bonus pay and merit pay. While bonus pay is good and can reward those who do very well, it is not a necessary reason for me to be a good and valuable employee at any organization. Bonus pay is a good and integral part of any merit pay system. However, it is not and will not be a reason for this employee and it will be just that, a bonus, not a driver or an incentive in my future employment.
ESV: study Bible: English standard version.. ESV text ed. Wheaton, Ill.: Crossway Bibles,
"Salary Reports, 2013 Wage Forecast, Market Compensation | WageWatch Ibrief Blog." WageWatch Ibrief Blog RSS 092. N.p., 30 Jan. 2013. Web. 15 Apr. 2014.
Snell, Scott, and George Bohlander. Managing Human Resources. 16th ed. Mason, OH: South- Western, 2013. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Pay for Knowledge Plan Pay for knowledge plan includes of Competency base pay and skill base pay. Competency base pay is based on the characteristics, rather than the performance of individuals. It is usually applied to managerial or professional employees as over the time period individual competencies are improved and developed. While Skill based pay is based on the specific skills and capabilities of individual employees, rather than on the specific task being carried out. It usually applies to operational level employees.... [tags: Training, Skill, Learning, Skills]
1257 words (3.6 pages)
- PP4P compensation plan Before describing perfect pay for performance, objectives of performance pay must be clarified. Objectives include incentives for value creation for shareholders, provide reasonable pay when there is crisis and minimize remuneration cost without sacrificing the above two conditions. The author listed two traditional performance pay method before World WarⅡ, Carnegie and Sloan. Carnegie performance pay method gives management the right to buy shares at book value and pay future dividend.... [tags: Stock market, Investment, Stock, Rate of return]
717 words (2 pages)
- Introduction Today, competition between the organizations is extremely high thus organizations need to find the ways to be competitive. They need to prepare best market strategy to improve the company performance and the ways to keep their employees motivation on the highest level to perform well within the competition. At that time, several incentive pay programs play important role for every organization to perform well within the competition. Creating and implementing of incentive pay system supports to resolve organizational problems for to align the preferences of organization and employees.... [tags: Incentives, compensation, merit]
1070 words (3.1 pages)
- In most companies today, CEO’s give annual pay raises due to an employees work ethic. There are different kinds of employees that work at companies; including experienced workers, young workers, and old workers. However, in the case “Companies Rethink Annual Pay Raises” Rachel Emma Silverman breaks down the company called, “BetterWorks” and other companies and how they prioritize and decipher who gets pay raises. Many scholars according to the case and in other cases believe that an employee should receive a raise because of the value and work that they give to the company.... [tags: Employment, Salary, Company, The Work]
979 words (2.8 pages)
- The Decision Companies are increasingly thinking about getting rid of annual pay raises. The positive side of this could redefine reward systems which motivates employees and attract high quality workers. Being that it could also have a negative side, it could prove to be a demoralizing switch that leaves many workers not able to provide for their cost of living. There is a decision to be made throughout companies which will have an effect not only on the company, but on the employees as well. Problem There are some leaders that feel like annual pay raises are so small that they may not motivate the workers to stay, or help the company reach their goal.... [tags: Motivation, Employment, Better, Company]
723 words (2.1 pages)
- In my view, international students shouldn’t be asked to pay more money for the tuition. To approach this problem, we should, first and foremost, reiterate why people put such an emphasis on good education. Firstly, education improves people’s learning ability that makes them know more about the world. Most things taught in schools are the basic skills or means to further understanding of our society. Only be learning can humans have an opportunity to study more and know more about the society. Secondly, social experience tells us opportunities are often given to someone who has received good education.... [tags: University, Education, Higher education, Student]
1091 words (3.1 pages)
- Individual bonus or Shared bonus. Introduction Choi (2013) argued that offering bonus will lead positively affect on workers’ beliefs and effort. To introduce how to pay bonus more effectively, this essay will begin by illustrating some representative types of bonus. Following this, it will compare the team-based reward and individual reward system and analyses their advantages and drawbacks respectively by using some examples and citations. And at the end of the article, it will give a recommend option, the combined bonus, to the managers to improve the organisations’ productivities.... [tags: Reward system, Brain stimulation reward, Dopamine]
1102 words (3.1 pages)
- Should we include merit pay as a part of educational reform. These days, merit pay for teachers becomes a very arguable topic. Merit pay, also known as pay by performance, is a payment schedule for teachers that design to motivate teachers and improve our education. However, although more and more schools and states begin to try this new payment schedule, only a few of them get some significant results. Because of that, more and more people begin to doubt the effectiveness of merit pay. Should merit pay become a part of our educational reform become a serious problem for everyone to think about.... [tags: pay by performance]
1241 words (3.5 pages)
- CASINO BONUS Casino is your home for the best in online entertainment. This future show is a base to both online casino games and old favourites, all in the same place for your convenience. The casino bonus has number of loyalty preliminary plan that help to ensure members are happy with the services and will eagerly return to continue playing are on offer. Mainly available are a number of different bonuses on deposits and also referral bonuses of 20 dollars for each new person you refer to their site.... [tags: gaming, jackpot, club]
647 words (1.8 pages)
- First-wave feminists fought for equality between men and women, so that women could have their own rights. One of the rights that women fought for was the ability to get post-secondary education (Lorber, 2010, p. 2). As a result, women had the ability to attend post-secondary education, and have been exercising this right ever since. In 2005, 58% of women received all bachelor’s degrees (Snyder & Dillow, 2007, p. 325). Yet once graduation occurs, there is a different form of gender inequality found at the workplace.... [tags: Pay Equity & Discrimination]
1531 words (4.4 pages)