After the breach in 2006, beginning in May 2007, the VA’s, IT office put together a group called the Data Breach Core Team, (DBCT), which is consist of 30 members throughout the Department of Veteran Administrator. Their main job is to review all breaches that the VA has and assign them a category of low, medium or high. (Konkel, 2013). Then they can determine if any action is needed, and weather to give them free credit monitoring service alone with a voucher for a free credit report. While one part of the team is doing that the other part is put together a plan of action to take care of the breach and keep it from happening again.
A low risk breach is something like you printed off personal information on a shared office printer, and you took a while to go get it, and someone else found it and reported that it was just sitting on the printer. It was inside a federal protected building, and was only there for a short time and no info was compromised.
Medium risk breach is when you dispose of old records with personal data on them into the VA dumpster without shredding them, which could expose them to a wider audience, with a risk of their data being compromised if not caught in time.
High risk is when data is taken off the system and out of the building and is not encrypted, which can lead to someone possible stealing and selling the data to a third party. This could lead to your credit being stolen, credit cards being used by someone else and possible banking information being use to drain your bank account of all its money.
Finally in September ...
... middle of paper ...
...ure that all user use a two factor authentication and encryption process for all login sessions, and on the third tried, their login username will be lock out and disable and whatever device they are using will be blocked from the network. Record everything including dates, timestamps and implement firewall that minimize or block inbound attacks, and review these logs in detail daily and update the CIO if something looks out of the ordinary, if not give them a weekly update.
After all the changes and updates, in November 2014, the VA had another security breach, deal with a contractor vendor software security hole. This breach could have put about 7,000, VA records up for a security risk.
The vendor was supposed to provide home tele-health service to veteran’s and about 700,000 signed up for the service. With all the updates, the breach was reported immediately and
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
1152 words (3.3 pages)
- Data privacy refers to the sensitive information that individuals, organizations or other entities would not like to expose to the external world. For example, medical records can be one kind of privacy data. Privacy data usually contain sensitive information that is very important to its owner and should be processed carefully. Data privacy is not equal to data security. Data security ensures that data or information systems are protected from invalid operations, including unauthorized access, use, exposure, damage, modification, copy, deletion and so on.... [tags: Data, Data analysis, Data mining, Data management]
1396 words (4 pages)
- Data Security Data Security is critical in the computerized world we live in today. Cyber Security is a big part of data security in the United States and all parts of the world that rely on networked computers in a business and personal environment. The business and personal environment is more difficult to separate with all computers touching the Internet. Businesses have more responsibility to keep their data safe than someone working personally on the Internet. The federal government is deeply involved in the ways data is handled in this country.... [tags: Information security, Security, Computer]
1058 words (3 pages)
- Pradeep Kumar Chagantipati Cuw id: F00437246 Data Security and Information Assurance: Data Security • Data security is defined as keeping the data safe and restricting unauthorized access. • The key role of data security is to guarantee protection while ensuring individual or corporate information. • Data is stored as columns and rows in our databases, system servers and computers. Information could be anything that can be perused or generally interpreted in human form. • In order to prevent unauthorized access, we need to follow certain methods to ensure data is secure Encryption: Here data is encrypted, only the receiving end possess a decoding key.... [tags: Information security, Computer security, Security]
727 words (2.1 pages)
- There are four domains of vulnerabilities that may cause information/data security breaches. Information Security Governance, People, Processes and Technology are it. Hacking, stealing and copying information are the examples of breaches that takes place at times. According to the information security governance, success is often less, due to inability to value the the organisation 's information and data. This creates the discussion on the needs for security and the resources to be assigned to this.... [tags: Information security, Computer security, Security]
734 words (2.1 pages)
- Cyber security is the protection of networks, computers, programs and data from attack, damage or unauthorized access. This is important because a great number of our confidential information is on computers and transmit that data across networks to other computers. As of now cyber-attack is one of the transnational issues that we are concern about in the United States. If these private networks were hack our national security infrastructure will be in distress. Cyber security is operating through the Department of homeland security (DHS) privacy office and the component privacy offices.... [tags: Security, National security]
737 words (2.1 pages)
- 1. Explain why data security is important. The many aspects of data security are integral and critical with any businesses or home computer user. These areas include Client information, payment/transactional information, individual files, banking information and proprietary intellectual property. These forms of data and information are difficult to replace once lost. Though data security often refers to protection from unwanted hackers, spyware and viruses it, also, comes in the form of natural disasters with the likes of a flood or fire.... [tags: Database, SQL, Data management]
1482 words (4.2 pages)
- Recently, security has become one of the most significant and challenging problems for spreading new information technology. Since digital data can easily be copied, multiplied without information loss, and manipulated without any detection, security solutions are required, which encounter these threats. Security solutions are especially of interest for such fields as distributed production processes and electronic commerce, since their producers provide only access control mechanisms to prevent misuse and theft of material.... [tags: multimedia surveillance, data security]
2629 words (7.5 pages)
- INTRODUCTION: In today’s world, Data Spill is such an event that the highly unlikely or impossible happens. Data Security is known as shielding an organized body of related information, also called as database security. It is known as Data breach, when the secure information is exposed to the environment that is not trusted. It is occurring repeatedly at many places and the count goes on. The apprehension is this data breach leads to a huge loss to the organization in all aspects.... [tags: data security, data loss]
535 words (1.5 pages)
- Missing Chart Encryption Encryption is a method of programming data for security so that it appears to be random data. Only the people sending and receiving the information have the key to decrypt the message, which will put it back into its original form making it readable. The only people with the key are the people who are intended to read the message. Not many people know what encryption is. I took a survey of twenty students and asked two questions. The first question I asked was do you know what encryption means and the second question I asked was have you ever heard of anybody using encryption.... [tags: Data Security]
1027 words (2.9 pages)
- Education Reform And Its Effect On My Problem Of Practice
- The Reading About The Writer
- Personal Narrative : The Story Of Me
- Non Experimental And Qualitative Design At Particular Survey Method Integrating Questionnaires And Focus Group Interviews
- Analysis Of The Film ' Gopro '
- Christianity : The New Black