I decided to analyze the poem English con Salsa by Gina Valdes, because I can identify myself with this poem in many different aspects. Both my parents and I were born in Mexico, but decided to move to the United States on February of 2000. With us moving here, we brought along our traditions and customs. My family has a blend of American culture with Latino culture since a few of my uncles married American women and had children. I feel that Valdes poem is about finding that “in between” feelings that are brought up when two cultures are mixed together.
Gina Valdes in her poem English con Salsa used many literary techniques. One of them was humor and throughout the poem it is used greatly. An example of it starts in the beginning where the po...
... middle of paper ...
...new right away I could relate it since English is my second language. In this poem there is a combination of the two languages I know, English and Spanish, which then converts into a new language Spanglish. Many Latino teenagers and children, like me, speak English at work and school and speak Spanish mostly when they are at home. Therefore, the way we Latino people speak is almost like the way Ms. Valdez wrote this poem. This poem is also a reality in the lives of those who migrate to the United States. Many immigrants see that everything is different and new. They also see that they have to slowly adapt to the new environment. Through Gina’s choice of words and imagery, she makes the Latino audience feel more serene with the American Language and culture. All of the humor, imagery, and similes used in this poem made this poem much more enjoyable and relatable.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- For anyone observing The Louisiana Comic Con ad, they might become filled with confusion as to what is this event all about. Is there a revival in town, a Walking Dead convention, a Star Wars fan club meeting, or have all these actors gathered for a true Comic Con fair. Comic Con is a science fiction fantasy come true, cult following party. No matter your age or gender there seems to be something for everyone to experience. Deadheads, Trekies, Go Go Power Rangers, Cowabunga dude, which are you a fan of.... [tags: Comic book, Comics, Comic strip, Magazine]
1220 words (3.5 pages)
Poems: Where You From? by Gina Valdez, Legal Alien, Elena by Pat Mora, ad Here by Sandra Maria Esteves
- ... Also she talked about her “past and present” (Esteves 362) which can be interpret like she identifies herself in the same way in her past andher present. The final two lines in the first stanza can summarized her cultural problem “Given a cultural beauty... And robbed of a cultural identity” (Esteves 362), when she says she was “given a cultural beauty” she can be talking about her Hispanic blood, the way she look, but she also mentioned that was “robbed of a cultural identity” which she means that they take her identity away.... [tags: culture-language problems suffered by immigrants]
630 words (1.8 pages)
- In the last decades, new religious movements have got the attention of the media, scholars and even followers of established religious organizations. Some of them like Scientology are well known because many famous celebrities like Tom Cruise practice them. Others like Rastafarianism are known because of their strong political and social views. These new religious movements are creating a phenomenon in this modern time, especially in the history of religion. These new movements are often syncretic, “a blend of religions” (Molloy 473).... [tags: Religion, New religious movement]
1304 words (3.7 pages)
- Andrea Studebaker ENG 1113 CRN 12896 November 2, 2015 Essay #3 Final Draft The Con-Artist Named Addiction Sally Satel, author of “Addiction Doesn’t Discriminate. Wrong,” leads us down a harrowing path of the causes and effects that lead people to addiction. It can be a choice, possibly subconscious, or a condition that leads a person left fighting a lifelong battle they did not intend to sign up for. Mental and emotional health/conditions, personality traits, attitudes, values, behaviors, choices, and perceived rewards are just a few of the supposed causes of becoming an addict.... [tags: Drug addiction, Addiction, Drug abuse]
962 words (2.7 pages)
- Gina Meyers and Jill McDonough both illustrate a lack of control within the poems “Hold it Down” and “Accident, Mass. Ave.”. “Hold it Down” by Gina Meyers describes a long narrative of the problem, a lack of control, impossibilities and frustration in everyday life, while “Accident, Mass. Ave.” presents a narrative of a problem, a moment of loss of control, aggression and frustration in a single moment that happen on a specific day. Similarly the poems are long and include long enjambed lines disturbed by few short and small lines.... [tags: Stanza, Poetry, Alexandra Maria Lara, 1996 albums]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- The world we live in today requires us to be good at whatever career we choose or we are not able to support ourselves. In order to be the best we can be, we usually work hard, practice our chosen field, and put forth all effort needed to make us good at what we do. There are many ways we can choose to support ourselves. Careers are varied and we have many jobs to choose from. With so many opportunities open to people today, it should be easy to select a career that gives you an honest living. We all want to trust others and hope that people are honest.... [tags: essays research papers]
818 words (2.3 pages)
- With African Americans being apart of the fashion industry, they faced many hardships. However, they created a distinctive voice in the history of fashion. Throughout the early twentieth century, Blacks designers influenced the fashion industry in America, having, “a system and structure for maintaining their particular type of fashion.” African American fashion was very popular and caught the attention from the media. Department stores held successful fashion shows, screened fashion movies, and staged fashion pageants.... [tags: Black people, African American, Fashion, Vogue]
1824 words (5.2 pages)
- Gustavo Valdes: My billion dollar business ideas 3 ideas respond to at least 1 post. Billion Dollar business idea # 1: Incredible Ink I’ve been thinking of starting a decal company, one that would apply graphic designs to a multitude of surfaces. Since this would be a startup and budgetary issues have to be considered I would limit myself to t-shirts, business cards, posters of various sizes, flags, and banners. Marketing is essential to getting ideas across to people so having items with your organization, group, or companies’ logo on it would be an excellent way to attract attention.... [tags: Old age, Middle age, Ageism, Business]
1039 words (3 pages)
- When looking through many different movies, and lyrics I chose the movie Con Air, starring Nicolas Cage. Cage portrays Cameron Poe, an ex Army ranger who has just returned from the Gulf war. Right from the start Poe is faced with adversity. His return was not what he had hoped for. After he had spent time with his wife, Poe decided to call it a night, however a local gang decided to start a fight while they were leaving the parking lot. Poe easily wins the fight due to having such extent training in the military.... [tags: essays research papers]
1105 words (3.2 pages)
- To investigate CON “Certificate of Need”, one must understand the meaning of the phrase. CON is a certificate that is issued to the individual or group intending to build or modify the facility for additional services. The process is intended to prevent duplication of services in a community (medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com). In this passage, we will discuss the development of becoming certified and the importance of becoming certified facility / group. This passage will cover some steps of becoming or receiving a certification.... [tags: business]
904 words (2.6 pages)
- Supply and Demand are Critical to Our Economy in Adam Smith's The Wealth of a Nation
- My Immigration to America Story
- Impact of Prime Minister Trudeau’s 1982 Charter of Rights and Freedoms
- Mikhail Gorbachev's Life from Poor Boy to Powerful Leader
- Rational Choice and Deterrence Theories
- Financial Analysis on Community Health Systems