Where did the ideology come from that if one’s hair is soft with looser curls that it is “good hair” in the Black community. People were made different and imperfect. That is why we all don’t have the same texture of hair and types. So what if we all don’t have the same hair, it’s perfectly normal. It’s what makes that individual different from someone else. The saying you have “good hair” is quite disrespectful actually. Why? Well to those who don’t have that soft hair with loose curls your implying that their hair texture is bad. This all on a whole is thinking of each other as lesser being in the black community compare to others. As many may be wondering where this saying may come from. What does this have to do with being consider lesser? How did it even come in the picture?
Black hair is completely unique to individuals of African Descent. Yes, black hair is harder to manage due to its complex structure and the constant need for moisture. The reason that our hair is harder to manage is specifically because of our deep curl pattern and this makes us pretty different as a whole. We weren’t made to fit in like everyone else whose hair false loosely down their back, were made with all natural hair with deep curls which is beautiful just the way it is.
When searched in the urban dictionary what exactly good hair means it comes up as a popular term in the African American community. It is apparently being used to describe a black person’s hair that closely resembles the hair of a typical white person. Which basically is saying that the closer one’s hair to a white pe...
... middle of paper ...
...mpus because it’s what makes us as a race unique from other races.
Recently over the past few years the natural hair movement between African American women have been becoming more commonly used. More and more women are often switching back from their permed and relaxed hair back to their naturally kinky hair with tight curls. These women are embracing their hair and how happy they are with proving to the rest of the world that all hair types are good hair. Good hair and bad hair came from a time where it was all about survival and not about beauty. At this time having what they considered to be “good hair” was just a way to make a better living for themselves. Now a day’s good hair and bad hair pertains to beauty and not survival the role surely switched up. It’s as simple as taking care of your hair properly which makes it good hair and not the actual texture.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Hair, a topic that has been and still is very talked about. Questions like curly or straight, beach waves or messy bun are everywhere, but let us go deeper than just the “do” we are getting. Let’s talk about how our hair helps us, why it suits us and why it is that most of us have a different perspective about our own hair, which was specifically chosen for us. We’ll talk about all hair types, from curly to straight and all those others in between, and also why some of us are not happy with our natural type.... [tags: Hair, Long hair, Tonsure, Hair follicle]
2151 words (6.1 pages)
- Hair Dying As people look around the different cities of our fair country, one might notice that many people nowadays are coloring their hair to cover grey or just for the fun of it. One difference among the younger generation and the older generation is the colors that are chosen for their hair. The younger generation of this day and age seem to prefer wild colors such as Infra Red, Mystic Heather, Deadly Nightshade, Tiger Lily, etc, as self-expression compared to the older generation choosing natural shades to cover the signs of aging.... [tags: Dying Hair Color Essays]
1326 words (3.8 pages)
- Hair Gel Brylcreem (brill-cream) was created in 1929. It was also invented at the Chemico Works in Bradford Street in Birmingham. Brylcreem was the first mass-marketed men's hair care product. Its purpose is to keep combed hair in place. The shiny look it gave to the hair was also fashionable for a time. Other substances, including petroleum jelly, were in use for this purpose earlier. During this time Brylcreem had the jingle which was "Brylcreem A Little Dab'll Do Ya" which was introduced to the TV viewers at that time.... [tags: Business Management Studies]
674 words (1.9 pages)
- The Hair Loss Disease Alopecia Areata Alopecia areata is a non-life threatening hair loss disease. It may not literally kill you, but in other ways deep down it could. I know this from my personal life. I have been an individual that has been suffering from alopecia for the past six years. It’s not easy living in this world with it. I feel at times that it’s a pain just to go to school and be in public with my disease. It does not matter where you go but people are always starring at you and whispering about you, because you have no hair or bald spots throughout your scalp.... [tags: Papers]
1114 words (3.2 pages)
- *Somewhere in Europe* You knew it was a bad idea to stay at hostel. You knew it deep down but you just had to listen to your friend because she was just ALWAYS right. Okay, sometimes she was right but this time she was wrong. All types of wrong and you couldn’t wait to get in contact with her again and tell her about herself. Maybe staying at a hostel wouldn’t have been so bad if it wasn’t the middle of summer when everyone was traveling and also looking for cheaper housing options causing this particular hostel to be overly crowded.... [tags: Finger, Hand, Sleep, Ring finger]
1893 words (5.4 pages)
- Should Weapons of Mass Destruction be stopped from being created because of the harm that they do or continue to be created for their use in protecting society. This question continues to bother American’s daily. Weapons of Mass Destruction are weapons that are used to cause death or serious bodily injury through the release of toxic or poisonous chemicals. It’s also a weapon that is used to release radiation or radioactivity at a level dangerous to human life. They also cause damage to human made structures as well.... [tags: politics, disarmament]
1193 words (3.4 pages)
- Like low level clouds, the most basic classification of middle clouds also based on their elevation from earth’s surface. Middle level clouds exist between 2 km to 6 km above of the surface. Middle level clouds were classified into 3 types which is Altocumulus, Altostratus and Nimbostratus (Oliver, 2005). All of these clouds are occur in layers but it different in colour, precipitation and description of the clouds. Altocumulus can be found word widely at middle latitude. It consists of water and ice of crystal.... [tags: cirrus, cirrocumulus, cirrostratus]
736 words (2.1 pages)
- ... Emotional effects that can occur is depression, anger, or stress. Stress can be another reason for hair loss. An average head of hair contains 120,000 to 150,000 hair strands. Every day each person sheds about 80 hairs or more plus the intentional hairs lost. From being stressed out, some people begin to rip their hair out. There are many methods of attaching the extensions onto the hair. Hair extensions can be glued, weaved, clipped, braided, or bonded. One method is called the braid and sew method.... [tags: hair extensions]
1343 words (3.8 pages)
- America is also known as the universal "melting pot", where diversity is welcomed with open arms. This nation as a whole re programmed itself to be more accepting and more tolerable of what is out of their form of ‘the norm’; but, to what extent. According to Google definitions: beauty is a combination of qualities, such as shape, color, or form that pleases the aesthetic senses, esp. the sight. So, speaking of technicalities, beauty varies in the eyes of the beholder or the individual’s opinion.... [tags: America, Diverse Beauty]
1092 words (3.1 pages)
- Shivering and trembling, she lay in fear curled up in a ball on the cold, hard ground, wondering what she had done to experience this sort of torture. Crying out for help, screaming stop, nothing seemed to work. Bluish purple bruises covered her arms, her face completely swollen, her legs full of welts; she lay thinking death would be a better option than what she had just been through. What is wrong with me. What did I do. No one wants to help me. They are my parents why do they not love me. Those are all some of the few thoughts that cross the minds of child abuse victims.... [tags: physical abuse, sexual abuse, negglect]
1389 words (4 pages)