The name “Black Friday” comes from Philadelphia in the mid 1960’s. It was given two meanings. The first meaning was developed as a joke by the shoppers quoting it to be “the day that brought the stores whose sales were in the red up into the black,” thus giving us the name Black Friday. The less obvious origin of the name came from the Philadelphia P.D., and was used to describe the major traffic jams both in the streets, and on the sidewalks. Since it grew to become a popular informal holiday sometime near 2000, it has become much more commercialized. Stores have started opening as early as twelve o’clock in the morning, although the average store opens at five. They offer such deals as “door busters,” which are deals for the first allotted number of customers to “bust” through their doors or an allotted period of time. Now, you may even buy a car with a promise of the lowest possible of the year, as so the companies say once a month. In 2008, despite the recession of our economy, an estimated 142 million people showed up for the great deals. Only 122 million, however, showed up to voted in t...
... middle of paper ...
... of the smaller women started crawling underneath and rushing the store. Bras and panties were literally flying as the women searched for their size. The store became like a mosh pit at a rock concert. By 7am when I left I passed by Victoria Secret again to see if anything had changed. Panties and bra were covering the floor, there was no organization left at all and workers there looked ill. I left that day with saggy eyes and a few new acquaintances whom happened to be lonely boyfriends like myself.
The Black Friday crowd is one of many colors, personalities, shapes, ages, sex, and status. Many other miscellaneous personalities were lurking early that Friday morning. I tried to find the most interesting and social groups of the crowd. I would not advise any one person to experience this tragic display of social life. Have a nice Black and Blue Friday.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving in the United States. Many regard it as the beginning of the holiday shopping season. While it is not a federal holiday, several states observe the day after Thanksgiving as a holiday, which means many state and school employees have the day off. Therefore, the number of potential shoppers is high. In fact, since 2005, it has been the busiest shopping day of the year. With retailers extending their hours and deals, the crowds and choas of Black Friday shows no signs of slowing down.... [tags: retailers, financial, crowds]
687 words (2 pages)
- This paper will be a visual description of “Sunday Afternoon On The Charles River” The arrangement of this artwork are horizontal, vertical, angular, and curvature lines. This painting has a variety of dark base, and saturated colors such as orange, green tan, brown, purple and magenta, with expressive brushstrokes and variety. In the foreground of this artwork to the far left side corner is painted in grisaille, shades of grey and white. There are vertical and horizontal buildings, a trolley riding on trolley tracks on a busy road with people walking around, with a lot of activity and events going on.... [tags: Color, Blue, Green, Yellow]
1343 words (3.8 pages)
- Restaurant: TGI FRIDAY'S Cuisine: American Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates Hours: Saturday - Wednesday 10 am to 11 pm Thursday - Friday 10 am to 12 midnight As eating out became people’s latest addiction, people always search for new and interesting places to eat at. Many people have searched for a decent restaurant and have found one or two - but none they enjoy visiting as much as TGI Friday's. Moving through the restaurant is a little tight with enough space for one person to pass through at a time.... [tags: eating out, restaurant, food]
700 words (2 pages)
- I woke up to my little brother playing the friday song. “Josh listen to this!” Tommy said. “Go back to bed and turn that off.” i said a bit angry. i hate having a little brother. there only good for bothering you when you are trying to sleep. “you never want to play with me. I’m telling Mommy!” he wailed. “go ahead you big baby.” i murmured and fell back asleep. not even a minute later and my mom came into my room and started to complain. “You need to start waking up it’s 9:00. my my you need to clean your room.... [tags: Coming out, Sexual orientation, Closeted]
1023 words (2.9 pages)
- After a hearty Thanksgiving feast, I join my mother, my sister, and a couple cousins around the coffee table. My mother asks for today’s paper, so I stand up to search for it. I find it sitting on the china cabinet. I return to the coffee table with the newspaper and my mother unveils Walmart’s 40-page Black Friday ad. Our eyes grow big with anticipation, eager to see what deals the store will be offering. Before the ad is opened, my mother requests that I get onto the computer and print out a local store map which indicates where certain items will be located.... [tags: Black Friday Essays]
2380 words (6.8 pages)
- The Man in the Black Suit We gathered together in our plain, small-town church for the funeral of my friend, Eric. We had to wait in a hall outside the room where Eric was lying in his coffin for some time, waiting for the room to open. Almost the whole town stood in the hall. I saw my neighbor, Mr. Crandle, leaning up against the wall, taking his dusty cowboy hat off to swat some manure off of his boot. Mr. Jackson, the town mechanic and bartender at the High Mountain Tavern and Sport Shop, was talking in whispered tones to his short, plump wife.... [tags: Personal Narrative Death Dying Essays]
1814 words (5.2 pages)
- Friday Night Lights - Just Read It . Meat head, dumb jock. These are just two of the many derogatory labels given to football players. Is it possible for me, a meat head, to hear the criticisms dealt to the sport of football. Is it possible for me, a dumb football jock, to understand and be objective about the issues raised in the book, Friday Night Lights. Yes, because I'm not the stereotypical football player like those described of Odessa, Texas. The football players in Odessa were generally a wild party crowd.... [tags: friday]
865 words (2.5 pages)
- Black Thanksgiving is Not a Holiday Thanksgiving Day is a day of family, food, and giving thanks for the blessings in life and yet some people believe Thanksgiving to be a prep day for Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the year. The focus of Thanksgiving shifted from family bonding to incessant shopping. This trend of taking away from the hours of Thanksgiving in order to shop is enraging. It steals away from family time for the shoppers and the employees. Employers threaten workers that if they do not work on that certain holiday, they will be fired.... [tags: Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Christmas]
827 words (2.4 pages)
- The Blue Collar brilliance is a great example of why the white collar jobs are not always the most useful. Blue collar jobs are the people with not so much of the Intelligence but great social skills and other skills not exactly learned. These workers are not dumb at all but they are hard works the labor workers, the workers that did not go to college. The blue collar workers are equally as important to the workforce to make everything function properly. Just because they did not go to college does not take away from what they mean to the workforce.... [tags: White-collar worker, Blue-collar worker]
1001 words (2.9 pages)
- FRIDAY A handsome, in about 26 years old, with straight and strong limbs, tall and well shaped fellow who bare name Friday which he got for the memory of a day he was rescued. The native who was saved from a certain death by Robinson Crusoe during one of the cannibal rituals of a local tribe. By the man who was actually on his way to Africa to buy Negroes. His hair was long and black but not curled, he had very high forehead and great sparkling sharp eyes. Friday’s appearance was somewhere in between Negro and European, black but tawny skin, round face and small but not flat nose as most of the Negroes have.... [tags: essays research papers]
364 words (1 pages)