Phelps was born to his parents, Fred and Debbie, on June 30, 1985 (JockBio: Michael Phelps Biography). He has two sisters, Whitney and Hilary (JackBio: Michael Phelps Biography). Both of them took up swimming when they were young and Michael followed in their footsteps (JackBio: Michael Phelps Biography). Phelps started competing and being involved with the U.S. swimming teams in 1999 (JackBio: Michael Phelps Biography). He competed in the Olympics representing the United States when he was just 15 years old (JackBio: Michael Phelps Biography). He started breaking world records and becoming known in the “swimming world” (JackBio: Michael Phelps Biography). Phelps was being compared to swimming greats and companies began wanting his endorsements (JackBio: Michael Phelps Biography). Then came the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Michael qualified for eight events and won gold in all eight events (JackBio: Michael Phelps Biography). President George W. Bush got to watch from the stands as Michael Phelps won his first race, the 400-meter individual medley, beating the world record. When Phelps won the 100-meter butterfly he was also “secur...
... middle of paper ...
... able to regain his credibility. Your actions show a lot, so we should make sure they are showing the good.
Crouse, Karen. "Phelps Apologizes for Marijuana Pipe Photo." The New York Times. The New York Times, 01 Feb. 2009. Web. 07 Mar. 2014.
Forde, Pat. "Ranking Phelps' Eight Great Wins In Beijing." ESPN.com. ESPN Internet Ventures, 17 Aug. 2008. Web. 07 Mar. 2014.
"JockBio: Michael Phelps Biography." JockBio: Michael Phelps Biography. Black Book Partners, n.d. Web. 10 Mar. 2014.
Papa, Anthony. "Michael Phelps: Greatest Olympian Ever (Who Also Happened to Smoke Pot)." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 03 Aug. 2012. Web. 10 Mar. 2014.
Service, Mail Foreign. "Olympics Swimming Star Michael Phelps Suspended After Being Pictured Smoking Drugs Pipe as Kellogg's Cancel Contract." Mail Online. Associated Newspapers, 06 Feb. 2009. Web. 07 Mar. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The regular person thinks that swimming isn’t really complex. One person just swims down and back and thats it. Nothing else, nothing more deep into the sport and nothing really changed about it either. But how has swimming changed as a sport in the last 50 years. The sport has changed so much throughout the last 50 years because what the American people are doing to improve the sport. Swimming has been almost the same sport since the 60’s-70’s, but things that have changed are the swimmers, technique of strokes and the technology of the sport which in turn reflects that American culture has evolved in technology and skills in America.... [tags: Spitz, Sports, Phelps]
1646 words (4.7 pages)
- The regular person thinks that swimming isn’t really complex. One person just swims down and back and thats it. Nothing else, nothing more deep into the sport and nothing really changed about it either. But how has swimming changed as a sport in the last 50 years. The sport has changed so much throughout the last 50 years because what the American people are doing to improve the sport. Swimming has been almost the same sport since the 60’s-70’s, but things that have changed are the swimmers, technique of strokes and the technology of the sport which in turn reflects that American culture has evolved in technology and skills in America.... [tags: athletes, olympics]
1646 words (4.7 pages)
- Michael Phelps The crowd roared as he stepped up to the block. As he tightened his goggles, he pictured his race on last time. The starter said take your mark…go, the race began. A few seconds later Michael touched the wall and once again, he took gold. Michael Phelps excelled in the sport of swimming and was destined to go to the Olympics, and with some help, he changed the sport of swimming and is arguably the best Olympic swimmer in history. Michael was born on June 30, 1985 and is the only boy out of three children (“Phelps” Current).... [tags: olympic gold medal winners ]
830 words (2.4 pages)
- ... Magic Johnson’s influence in sports and success as a businessman is unrivaled. Before the rise of Johnson, professional athletes were primarily focused on influencing sports through their talents and skills. In the late 1970’s, early 1980’s Johnson’s business “saviness”, changed sports forever. Realizing the necessity of capital and support, he began his journey with a passionate attempt on securing investors. With a focus on urbanization and revitalizing inner city areas, he promoted his business agenda.... [tags: facebook, social media, communication]
1382 words (3.9 pages)
- Michael Jackson Michael Jackson was born April 29, 1958 to a working class family in Gary, Indiana. His parents, Joe and Katherine had ten children and Michael Jackson was the eighth child. The Jackson family was very musically inclined. Michael’s father played guitar in a small R&B band, his mother sang frequently, and his brothers often sand and played with their father’s guitar (Biography on Michael Jackson, 2002). Michael Jackson was no exception to his family’s musical ability. At the age of four Joe Jackson pushed his children to start a band.... [tags: music, the jackson 5, invincible]
1070 words (3.1 pages)
- “The best education you can get is to watch the masters at work.” Michael Jackson was the biggest pop star ever. He had become a superstar since he was little. He had many great songs throughout his career. He had become an instant star. Michael Jackson was born on August 29, 1958 in Gary, Indiana. He was born into an African American working class family. His mom and dad were Katherine and Joseph Jackson. Joseph put aside his music to provide for the family. He knew his sons had talents so he molded them into a singing group in the early 1960’s.... [tags: music, Jackson 5, moonwalk, Thriller]
1004 words (2.9 pages)
- Biography of Michael Jordan Michael Jordan was born on January 17, 1963 in Brooklyn, New York and was raised in Wilmington, North Carolina. He has two brothers, is married, and has three kids. He is considered by many to be the greatest basketball player of all time (Kornbluth). My focus will be on his hardships, accomplishments, and people who influenced him. First, I would like to touch on some general information about Michael.... [tags: Papers]
779 words (2.2 pages)
- Biography of Michael Jackson On the 28th August 1958, a sweet African American boy was born. Unknown to anyone at the time, he would become one of the most renowned, extraordinary and puzzling faces in showbiz. Michael Joseph Jackson was born in Gary Indiana, where he grew up with his mum, dad and eight brothers and sisters. When he was just five years old, he and his brothers formed the amazing Jackson 5, after being signed by Motown Records following countless performances in local talent shows and clubs.... [tags: Papers]
809 words (2.3 pages)
- Biography of Michael Jackson *Works Cited Not Included Artists have a special communion with the creative forces of the universe. Regardless of the medium of expression used, artists utilize creative energies to produce works of art, beauty and power for humanity to witness. This is evident in paintings, sculptures, films and other forms, but it is universally expressed and appreciated through music and dance. When an artist focuses on both of these forms, the rhythm flows from his heart to the rest of his body until he becomes the rhythm itself.... [tags: Papers]
1370 words (3.9 pages)
- Biography of Michael Jordan Michael Jeffrey Jordan is known by many people as the best basketball player ever to play the game. Jordan played for the Chicago Bulls, helping them obtained six championship titles in eight years. Now remembered for being the best and the most popular athlete in the sports world. He had a great influence on the people. "Jordan was just another great legend" (Stein 2). Being a role model on and off the court Jordan showed his abilities to play the game and his kindness towards other people, especially those who admired him the most.... [tags: Papers]
904 words (2.6 pages)