Michael Jackson was born April 29, 1958 to a working class family in Gary, Indiana. His parents, Joe and Katherine had ten children and Michael Jackson was the eighth child. The Jackson family was very musically inclined. Michael’s father played guitar in a small R&B band, his mother sang frequently, and his brothers often sand and played with their father’s guitar (Biography on Michael Jackson, 2002). Michael Jackson was no exception to his family’s musical ability.
At the age of four Joe Jackson pushed his children to start a band. This band was called the Jackson 5. The Jackson 5 quickly rose to fame. The band initially started playing in local talent shows and then landed a contract with Motown records at the end of 1968. The Jackson 5 first became well known with their hit “Baby” with Michael as the lead singer of the group. The group quickly escalated and in just seven years the Jackson 5 had released thirteen albums and charted several number one R&B hits (Michael Jackson Biography, 2014). There first four singles were “I Want you Back,” “ABC,” “The Love You Save,” and “I’ll be There. ” These songs broke a chart record when they went to the number one spot on the Billboard Hot One-Hundred (Biography on Michael Jackson, 2002). The Jackson 5 was unstoppable and at such a young age and their music careers would continue to grow.
The record company, Motown soon began to take over the Jackson 5 and began taking away their creative control. The Jackson 5 then left Motown Records and signed with Epic Records. During the later years of Jackson 5 Michael started recording solo records with Motown records, the Jackson 5’s previous recording company. In 1976 the Jackson 5 split due to...
... middle of paper ...
...wice (Pristine n. d).
Michael Jackson passed away on June 25, 2009 of a drug overdose to propofol and benzodiazenphine intoxication, a drug he was using to help him sleep (Michael Jackson 2011). He was fifty years old, and even though he has passed, his music will still last a lifetime.
Biography on Michael Jackson. 2002. http://www.allmichaeljackson.com/biography.html (accessed May 3, 2014).
Michael Jackson Biography. 2014. http://www.biography.com/people/michael-jackson-38211#awesm=~oDqI3SGGoercfK (accessed May 2, 2014).
Pristine, Jeff. Guinness World Records and Achievements. n.d. http://www.michaeljacksonbilliejeanjacket.com/webpages/Michael_Jacksons_Guinness_World_Records.htm (accessed May 4, 2014).
"Rolling Stones Articles." Triumph & Tragedy: The life of Michael Jackson , 2009.
The New York Times. "Michael Jackson." November 29, 2011.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Michael Jackson was born in Gary, Indiana on August 29, 1958. He was the son of Katherine and Joseph Jackson. Michael had eight siblings. They all had their share in the music industry. His father was a crane operator but had a passion for music. The children heard music all the time. Joseph put together a musical group called The Jackson 5. Katherine Jackson noticed that Michael had an incredible talent in music. Michael loved dancing and singing. Michael became the lead vocalist at the age of five.... [tags: Michael Jackson, The Jackson 5, Randy Jackson]
1077 words (3.1 pages)
- Michael Jackson Michael Jackson was born April 29, 1958 to a working class family in Gary, Indiana. His parents, Joe and Katherine had ten children and Michael Jackson was the eighth child. The Jackson family was very musically inclined. Michael’s father played guitar in a small R&B band, his mother sang frequently, and his brothers often sand and played with their father’s guitar (Biography on Michael Jackson, 2002). Michael Jackson was no exception to his family’s musical ability. At the age of four Joe Jackson pushed his children to start a band.... [tags: music, the jackson 5, invincible]
1070 words (3.1 pages)
- “The best education you can get is to watch the masters at work.” Michael Jackson was the biggest pop star ever. He had become a superstar since he was little. He had many great songs throughout his career. He had become an instant star. Michael Jackson was born on August 29, 1958 in Gary, Indiana. He was born into an African American working class family. His mom and dad were Katherine and Joseph Jackson. Joseph put aside his music to provide for the family. He knew his sons had talents so he molded them into a singing group in the early 1960’s.... [tags: music, Jackson 5, moonwalk, Thriller]
1004 words (2.9 pages)
- Biography of Michael Jackson *Works Cited Not Included Artists have a special communion with the creative forces of the universe. Regardless of the medium of expression used, artists utilize creative energies to produce works of art, beauty and power for humanity to witness. This is evident in paintings, sculptures, films and other forms, but it is universally expressed and appreciated through music and dance. When an artist focuses on both of these forms, the rhythm flows from his heart to the rest of his body until he becomes the rhythm itself.... [tags: Papers]
1370 words (3.9 pages)
- Biography of Michael Jackson On the 28th August 1958, a sweet African American boy was born. Unknown to anyone at the time, he would become one of the most renowned, extraordinary and puzzling faces in showbiz. Michael Joseph Jackson was born in Gary Indiana, where he grew up with his mum, dad and eight brothers and sisters. When he was just five years old, he and his brothers formed the amazing Jackson 5, after being signed by Motown Records following countless performances in local talent shows and clubs.... [tags: Papers]
809 words (2.3 pages)
- Michael Jackson was given the title, the “King of Pop”, for very good reason; he captured audiences with his catchy lyrics, amazing dance moves, and dazzling outfits. His legacy has lived beyond the grave, as his music is played on the radio, his concert movie, This Is It, was released after his death, and people are still moonwalking and doing the Thriller dance. Michael inspired, and was adored by many, but his music did much more than just entertain. He sang about racial and social injustices and broke down the musical barriers of his time.... [tags: Michael Jackson, The Jackson 5, Janet Jackson]
1564 words (4.5 pages)
- Born to Joseph and Katherine Jackson, MIchael was born on August 29, 1958 in Gary, Indiana. He was the youngest sibling out of 5 but that did not stop his talent from shining through. In the early 1960’s, Michael’s father put together a music group using his sons, which later became known as the Jackson 5 (“Michael Jackson Biography”). Even from an early age, Michael was able to touch the lives of many people. At a young age, Michael became the lead singer of the Jackson 5 because of his voice range and depth.... [tags: Michael Jackson, The Jackson 5, Katherine Jackson]
778 words (2.2 pages)
- Michael Jackson Michael Jackson is a name that is known worldwide. People either love him or hate him, but no one has ever denied that he had talent. This sing songwriter became the King of Pop as he transformed the face of pop music and popular culture across the nation. He started out as the lead singer of the Jackson family popular Motown group called the Jackson 5 (Michael Jackson Biography, n.d.). From there on he began breaking numerous records. As a solo artist, he received multiple Grammys and Guinness world records.... [tags: Michael Jackson, The Jackson 5, Janet Jackson]
949 words (2.7 pages)
- Coming from nothing and working his way up to a chart-topping career, he makes his mark but does he hold the same effect today. Michael Jackson grew up in an abusive home but talent filled Michael found a way to work past the abuse and found a way to make a career that put the world in awe. Jackson has, needless to say, a heart-shattering past, an amazing music career, and an interesting way out of it all that still leaves people wondering: who really is Michael Jackson. Michael Joseph Jackson was born in Indiana on August 29, 1958.... [tags: Michael Jackson, The Jackson 5, Randy Jackson]
1523 words (4.4 pages)
- Michael Jackson was born on August 29, 1958. He was one of ten children growing up. Michael and his siblings grew up in a very strict home. He had many conflicts with his father, who was physically and emotionally abusive. Michael’s music career began with the formation of The Jackson 5 in 1963, when he joined his brothers, Jackie, Tito, Marlon, and Jermaine in their already booming musical group. This was the start of Michael’s singing career. He was only five years old at this time, and went solo in 1971 at the young age of thirteen (Internet Movie Database).... [tags: Biography]
1278 words (3.7 pages)