On the sixth day of November in the year 1861, the eldest boy and second child was born to Scottish Immigrants, John Naismith and Margaret Young Naismith, in the Lanark District of Ontario, Canada. His birthplace was on the outskirts of the suburbs of Almonte, Ontario (Biography of James Naismith). James had an older sister, Annie, and a younger brother, Robbie (James Naismith). When James was barely eight, James and his family, moved to Grand Calumet, where his father, John, began to work as a saw hand (The Lincoln Library of Sports Champions 124-127). But when James was barely nine years old, he was orphaned when both of his parents passed away because they had contracted typhoid fever while working in the milling community (Biography of James Naismith).
After the death of his parents he was sent to live with his maternal grand mother. But they didn’t live there for very long. James Naismith’s grandmother passed away, and again the Naismith children were moved to their maternal uncle’s, Peter Young, house. Peter was the brothe...
... middle of paper ...
...s Naismith…:Inventor of Basketball
. EBSCO Industries, Inc. 8 Apr. 2011.
James Naismith Quotes
. Think Exist. 14 Apr. 2011.
Kartha, Deepa. Biography of James Naismith. Buzzle.com. 11 Apr. 2011.
The Lincoln Library of Sports Champions
. Cleveland, OH: Eastword Publications Development, Inc., 2004.
Logan, Bob. Naismith, James. World Book Student. 8 Apr. 2011.
Logan, Bob. World Book 14. Chicago, IL: World Book, Inc., 2008.
Terning, John. James Naismith. 8 Apr. 2011.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Millions of players of basketball which was created by one man by the name of Dr. James A. Naismith. James Naismith was born around the 1860s. James Naismith created the game of basketball in 1891. Dr. James A. Naismith was truly influential to the sports world through the creation of basketball, building Kansas University basketball tradition, and changing lives of millions of people through the game of basketball. Before the game of basketball James Naismith was truly influential to the sports world.... [tags: Biography]
854 words (2.4 pages)
- December 1891 in Springfield, Massachusetts a man by the name of Dr. James Naismith invented a world famous game called basketball. The game was invented to condition the young athletes for the winter. The game consisted of peach baskets and a soccer style ball. Dr. Naismith published 13 rules for the game. Naismith had a class of 18 and divided them to 2 teams of 9. The objective of the game was to throw the ball into the fruit baskets that were nailed on the gym balcony. The game was stopped until the janitor got the ladder and got the ball out of the baskets.... [tags: Basketball, James Naismith, YMCA, Springfield]
1205 words (3.4 pages)
- James Naismith is the creator of basketball. Basketball is now a very popular sport. James Naismith accomplished many things in his life. But, the biggest by far is the creation of basketball. James Naismith created basketball while he was a physical education teacher a t the YMCA. He was challenged to make an indoor game for cold Canadian winters in which outdoor games could not be played. While James Naismith was in the process of making his game he observed other sports to take good qualities from those sports.... [tags: YMCA, invention]
728 words (2.1 pages)
- Basketball was invented by a man named James Naismith. He was born in 1861 in the United States. Naismith was a high school sports coach in Massachusetts. He was a sporty guy. People took him as a religious man, because he was. James Naismith was born on November 6, 1861 in Almonte, Canada. James Naismith dies on November 28, 1939, 22 days after his birthday. He died in Lawrence, Texas. He invented two things. He invented Basketball and the Football helmet.... [tags: Sport, YMCA]
519 words (1.5 pages)
- James Naismith was born on November 6, 1861 in Almonte, Canada where he lived with his mother and father. James was one of three children. When he was eight years old he moved to a milling community in Grand Calumet. Just two years later he was orphaned because his parents gave in to typhoid fever. After that James and his siblings moved to Canadian village to live with their grandmother. After living with their grandmother for just two years they had to move in with their uncle because their grandmother died.... [tags: Basketball, National Basketball Association]
1656 words (4.7 pages)
- William James Basie's Biography During the heyday of the swing era, many big bands flourished. Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Glen Miller, and Chick Webb fronted big bands that could swing, but none of these legends could swing like the Count Basie Orchestra. Count Basie proved that a big band could still swing, without losing the spontaneity so essential to jazz. William James Basie was born August 21, 1904 in Red Bank, New Jersey (Hare, par. 3). His father was a coachman and caretaker for a wealthy judge, and his mother took in laundry to help with the family's financial situation.... [tags: William James Basie Biography]
1339 words (3.8 pages)
- With five seconds left, the once psychotic crowd is now as silent as a lion stalking its prey. The clock starts and all that can be heard is the opposing team running down the court dribbling the ball to shoot the final shot. The clock sends of a high-pitched shout. The crowd shrieks for joy when the opposing team misses the shot and the crowds runs down to celebrate. Basketball was invented in 1891 by a Canadian Doctor named James Naismith and the fundamental still their games has change drastically ever since.... [tags: Basketball, National Basketball Association]
1040 words (3 pages)
- Basketball was created 115 years ago by Dr. James Naismith. When he created the sport he developed a set of 13 rules that created the game of basketball. However, basketball was not how we know it back then. For example, the goals used to be peach baskets nailed 10-feet high and dribbling the ball was not part of the original game. Basketball was an instant success. The new sports popularity quickly grew nationwide and was introduced in many nations. Naismith never got to see the game the game evolve to what it is today.... [tags: indoor sports]
1512 words (4.3 pages)
- Michael Jeffrey Jordan, third son of Delores and James Jordan, was born on February 17th 1963 in Brooklyn, NY. As a child Michael was not a very focused individual. This all changed after moving from Brooklyn to Wilmington N.C.. Michael began attending Emsley A. Laney High School. He became a B + student and excelled as an athlete in football, basketball, and baseball. In the fall of his sophomore year at Laney High school 5 foot 9 Michael was cut from the varsity basketball team. Instead of MJ the coach elected to go with height instead of quickness.... [tags: Biography]
595 words (1.7 pages)
- Like his close friend Thomas Jefferson, James Madison came from a prosperous family of Virginia planters, received an excellent education, and studied law "though only informally" and quickly found himself drawn into the debates over independence. In 1776, he became a delegate to the revolutionary Virginia Convention, where he worked closely with Thomas Jefferson to push through religious freedom statutes, among other liberal measures. The youngest member of the Continental Congress, Madison was of smaller than average height for a Virginian of the period; reports have him standing either five feet four or five feet six inches tall.... [tags: Biography]
979 words (2.8 pages)