Abraham Lincoln, also known as “Honest Abe”, was the 16th president of the United States. Lincoln was and still is one of the most respected presidents of all time. Although he may not have been widely liked during his run. He did one of the hardest jobs that any person could do, he served the U.S. as president during its civil war and managed to overcome the south and hold the U.S. together by just a couple of strands. Lincoln was only able to do this because he had the ability to strive forward and see what good could come instead of what was happening. He was a self-motivated man and didn’t need anyone to help inspire him to keep striving forward, he learned to do this at an early age. He showed us that you may not be liked for it now but, in the future it will be worth it.
Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809 in Hodgenville, Kentucky (the first president to be born outside of the thirteen original colonies). Lincoln was the second child born to his parents Thomas and Nancy Lincoln. His mother died in 1818, due to a milk sickness. Since his mother was now deceased and his dad wa...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Abraham Lincoln: A Biography Needless to say, Abraham Lincoln was one of the nation’s best presidents. Not just any president could bring the nation through the civil war. He was a kind man, who loved reading and writing. This love came from his mother, who taught him at a young age that education was an important part of life. Even though the Lincoln family lived nine miles away from the nearest school, a good 2.5-3 hour walk both ways, Abe and his sister Sally both went to school. During his childhood, Abe was a child who liked to learn.... [tags: Abe, childhood, president, civil war]
1604 words (4.6 pages)
- ... Lincoln took an overwhelming part as president-in a period of war. Questionably, he suspended a few rights as characterized by the Constitution and stretched the forces of both the official and the national government extensively. Moreover, Lincoln marked a few noteworthy bits of enactment into law, including approaches identifying with money, homesteaders, railroads, and assessments (n.a., 2014).” “Lincoln was famous for his passion about people and that led in freeing the slavery. He went into a war against the states which called themselves the “Confederate States of America” (n.p., 2014).” He used the former slaves to go for a war against those states.... [tags: influential American presidents]
1122 words (3.2 pages)
- Abraham Lincoln Abraham Lincoln, our 16th president, had a very exciting yet unfortunate life. Understanding Lincolns life may help you to understand why Lincoln was who he was. Perhaps Lincolns hard childhood lead him to his career. What's most interesting about Lincoln is how poor he was as a child and how much success he had as an adult. Childhood About 200 years ago Abraham Lincoln was born in a little log cabin in Kentucky. When he was just a baby his father, Tom Lincoln, ended up moving them to Indiana (“Abraham” para.... [tags: 16th US president, government history]
881 words (2.5 pages)
- Abraham Lincoln led America through its bloodiest war. His actions changed the nation forever, and his legacy lives on today. Lincoln was the sixteenth President of the United States. Throughout the Civil War, Lincoln’s political strategies aided the Union victory. Lincoln set the Reconstruction of America into motion, and abolished slavery. In what follows, I will be discussing the life of one of the nation’s greatest presidents. Before his famous political career, Lincoln was a self educated lawyer.... [tags: Civil War, America, United Sates President]
1514 words (4.3 pages)
- Abraham Lincoln, also known as “Honest Abe”, was the 16th president of the United States. Lincoln was and still is one of the most respected presidents of all time. Although he may not have been widely liked during his run. He did one of the hardest jobs that any person could do, he served the U.S. as president during its civil war and managed to overcome the south and hold the U.S. together by just a couple of strands. Lincoln was only able to do this because he had the ability to strive forward and see what good could come instead of what was happening.... [tags: 16th president, honest abe]
538 words (1.5 pages)
- Biography of Abraham Lincoln Abraham Lincoln was born Sunday, February 12, 1809, in a log cabin near Hodgenville, Kentucky. His parents names were Thomas and Nancy Hanks Lincoln. They named him after his grandfather. Abraham’s grandfather had been killed by Indians long before Abraham had been born. Both of his parents were born in Virginia. Abraham had an older sister and a younger brother. His younger brother was named Thomas but he died in infancy. Abraham’s sisters name was Sarah. Abraham’s father was a hard worker, he was a carpenter and a farmer.... [tags: American Presidents History Essays]
1001 words (2.9 pages)
- DiLorenzo, Thomas J. The Real Lincoln: A New Look at Abraham Lincoln, His Agenda, and an Unnessecary War. New York, NY: Three Rivers Press, 2002. Abraham Lincoln was elected as sixteenth president of the United States of America in 1861 and served until his assassination in 1865. He is viewed as a popular political figure and is known as the “Great Emancipator” for his role in freeing the slaves during the 1860s (Columbia University Press 2013, 1). He delivered the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863 that declared “all persons held as slaves within the rebellious states are, and henceforth shall remain free” (Columbia University Press 2013, 1).... [tags: unnecessary war, freeing slaves]
1634 words (4.7 pages)
- President Abraham Lincoln Mini Biography Abraham Lincoln was the 16th president of the United States. He held the Union together during the Civil War and brought about the emancipation of slaves. Before he became president he was a Civil rights Activist, lawyer, and a U.S. Representative (Abraham Lincoln Biography). Lincoln was born in a log cabin in Hardin County, Kentucky to Thomas Lincoln and Nancy Hanks Lincoln. He was one of three children with Sarah being his older sister and Thomas being his younger brother whom died in infancy.... [tags: Mini Biography, President of the United States]
1708 words (4.9 pages)
- Lincoln U.S. History AP 1 Reaction Paper David Herbert Donald's Lincoln is a biography of our sixteenth President, Abraham Lincoln. At the age of twenty one, he was sure he did not want to be like his father Thomas Lincoln, an uneducated farmer, so he left his fathers house permanently. He had many jobs, learned many lessons, and made both friends and enemies, all which helped him to become one of the greatest presidents of the United States of America during the time the country had split, the Civil War.... [tags: Biography]
1675 words (4.8 pages)
- Abraham Lincoln Many know him as “Honest Abe” or “Illinois Rail Splitter” but we all know him as Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln was given birth to in a Hodgenville, Kentucky log house. He also had very little education, and was mostly self thought. During his lifetime, Lincoln accomplished many things. Some of these included freeing the slaves, fighting the confederacy, and bringing the country back together as one. Abraham Lincoln was one of the greatest presidents of the United States. Abraham came from a poor family and all of his struggles were worth it in the end.... [tags: Biography]
425 words (1.2 pages)